Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was sleeved Jan 30th and had an AMAZING two weeks after surgery. I followed my diet to the T... Had zero pain, very little gas and was up and going four days post op. On my two week surgiversury I woke up to extreme pain, nausea and gas. It turns out my infant gave me a stomach virus and all of the vomiting gave caused a small leak and an infection. I spent five days in the hospital and was finally released on Monday. I'm starting to feel better but now I'm just depressed. I'm having left shoulder pain and hip pain and now it hurts when I hiccup. I just have no energy and I'm back to a full liquid diet for two weeks. Does anyone have any experience with leak recovery?

I am so sorry. :( hang in there, and things will get much better.

So sorry to hear about your problem! I know this has to be so hard for you and scary.

From what I've read with leak complications, you aren't suppose to have any thing by mouth if you have a leak until it heals. They actually told you your stomach had a small hole? I would definitely call my surgeon back and make sure that it is ok for you to consume anything by mouth. If you have any fever, please call your Dr. back. I don't want to scare you but for sure you wouldn't want your infection to get worse.

I hope everything turns out ok for you. Stay strong and know it will get better.

I have nothing to contribute other than to say - feel better! I know you'll still come out of this stronger than ever :)

I'm much better. The small hole wasn't in my stomach just a small possible leak between my stomach and esophagus. I had two CT scans. They couldn't tell from either if it was a true leak or just a bad infection. However the pain was horrendous. However I haven't had fever or abdominal pain since Sunday.. Now I just have residual gas pain. I should add that I'm losing like crazy but I'm just depressed that it happened. It makes no sense.. I guess I'm just in a hole.

Oh, I hope you feel better soon.

I want for you to search leak symptoms and complications on this forum. The reason why is because your stomache is still swollen from the procedure. Keep an eye on your pain and fever. Take some gas x strips to help with the gas. Please dont take anything for granted when it comes to a leak. We are hear for you hunny. Ask any question we will answer. Also congratulations on being sleeved.

I don't know anything about leaks, but I do know that the shoulder pain is likely gas or (this is where I sound magically smart) referred pain from the vagus nerve that runs along the diaphragm. I only know this because of all the problems when I had a lapband. I had semi-chronic left shoulder pain because my esophagus, diaphragm, band, and liver were all adhesed to one another and my diaphragm was inflamed....=vagus nerve inflamed = left shoulder pain.

the hip and the gas and all the other stuff, i have no idea. That must be awfully scary.

good luck -- i do wish you a speedy recovery.

I was sleeved October 30th my 1st surgery ever turned into 4 it was a nightmare from hell. I was discharged the evening of October 31st from the moment I was discharged until I had returned to the hospital on November 7th I was extremely weak and tired all the time I had no energy whatsoever if I had to go out I would have to use the motorized wheelchairs at the stores I couldn't stand for long without feeling lightheaded and dizzy. I didn't feel hungry at all so I wasn't eating or drinking much. As for pain I didn't have any pain at all that related to the leak my stomach was a little sore from surgery and that's all I felt from the surgery. I returned to the hospital finally on November 7th as I thought I was dehydrated the ER had done a cat scan which had shown a leak. I was admitted and rushed back into surgery the next morning which scared me to death and to find out I was the 1st sleeve leak in Massachusetts and the surgeon personally tells me they have been worried about a leak since last year when they first started sleeves. I stayed in the hospital for 9 long days being NPO and on TPN (IV Nutrition ) I went crazy and I was released on November 16th and had to go home with a visiting nurse to monitor my BP and Pulse and my drains. Well the drains were draining way to much so I returned back in the hospital November 19 and back into surgery in the morning on November 20th which the surgeon decided to put a stent in to bypass the stomach in hoping to seal the leak by having nothing touching the stomach area. When I woke up from surgery I just wanted to die I was extremely nauseous 1st time in my life and so for the next 3 days I was out of it I slept all day every day still felt just as bad as I was out of surgery I was on 3 different meds for being nauseous. I finally had gone home November 23rd and still felt the same at home constantly weak tired and no energy and constantly puking every time I ate from that damn stent I went back into surgery December 20th to remove the stent and the surgeon noticed there was still a leak so he cortarized it and I went home December 24th and been fine ever since that was my Xmas present from my surgeon I say. My doc says my case was abnormal as leaks are very painful but I never experienced any pain at all.