Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Started 'Couch to 5k today' Anyone keen?

That is great Scarlet and I so dislike stopping to tie that I double knot the laces to begin with

Ran my second 5k ever today. Finished in 36 minutes. My question is should I work on distance or speed moving forward?

Ran my second 5k ever today. Finished in 36 minutes. My question is should I work on distance or speed moving forward?

Distance, speed will come eventually.

Did it in 30:55 today!! Whoop!

Followed it right up with a 75 minute red got yoga class...dragging now but that was the point.

Did 3.72 miles today in 39 minutes according to map my run. I just started using this app and am absolutely love it. Does anyone know how accurate it is? Seemed right in terms of miles and said I burned 492 calories. Hope its accurate because I really love the constant prompts it gives you when running.

Need some advice for all of you veteran runners. Today I came back from my run and found the nail on one of my toes slightly loose with blood all around it. It is the toe next to the pinky toe and was bothering me a bit when I was running. Has anyone dealt with this? Does this mean its time for new sneakers (hope not). My sneakers have not bothered me in the past and are about 3-4 months old. Should I put a band aid on next time and just persevere? Thanks for any tips.

I have runner friends that are constantly losing toenails and they have shoes that fit. It can be caused by a fungal infection, so make sure you get checked if you've had any discoloration. Nail separation is a little known symptom of hyperthyroidism. My first symptom the my dose is too high is my fingernails start to separate from the nail bed.

Did 3.72 miles today in 39 minutes according to map my run. I just started using this app and am absolutely love it. Does anyone know how accurate it is? Seemed right in terms of miles and said I burned 492 calories. Hope its accurate because I really love the constant prompts it gives you when running.

The miles in comparison to my Garmin are pretty accurate. They are always within .03 miles. I still use both because I carry my phone and I like the voice coaching on mapMyRun. MapMyRun also works with the Pact app (aka GymPact) which I use for workout motivation.

What is the GymPact app about? Always looking for additional motivation.

What is the GymPact app about? Always looking for additional motivation.

It's a service where you make a pact to exercise a certain number of days a week. You set an amount you will lose per day if you don't fulfill your pact. The minimum is $5. All the $ from the users that don't fulfill their pact get put into a pot and those that fulfill their pact split the money. This is my second week. The first week I made 82 cents. Losing the $5 is much more motivating to me. They also have 2 other types of pacts, a veggie/fruit eating pact and a food logging pact.

7 weeks post op today! I decided to start C25K. Although I was active when I was in school I could never do any distance running. I would always get a stitch in my side and be gasping for breath and my lungs hurt! What would be a good pace to walk and run the c25k to start with? I looked back at old posts and wow there is no way I can run at an 8 speed! I walked at 3.4 and ran at 4.4 and I was sweating! Is this ok to start with especially considering I have tonnes of extra weight to carry or should I increase my speed? Any advice would be great! Thx

7 weeks post op today! I decided to start C25K. Although I was active when I was in school I could never do any distance running. I would always get a stitch in my side and be gasping for breath and my lungs hurt! What would be a good pace to walk and run the c25k to start with? I looked back at old posts and wow there is no way I can run at an 8 speed! I walked at 3.4 and ran at 4.4 and I was sweating! Is this ok to start with especially considering I have tonnes of extra weight to carry or should I increase my speed? Any advice would be great! Thx

Speed will come with time. Do what you can at the beginning and the rest will follow. The most important thing is just getting going ;o)

When I started in February 2013 my pace was around 4.2. Don't worry about how fast you're running until you've been running for a year. My pace naturally started increasing as I lost weight and ran further distances. I'm still pretty slow at around 5.2/5.4, but I think I do okay for a 48-yr old with a bad knee and an autoimmune disorder. :) My only goals have been distance related (5K, 10K, and half).

As you're doing the C25K program, if you're having trouble completing a day because you run out of breath, slow down! If you can't complete because you run out of energy, make sure you figure out what's best for you to eat before running. If you can't complete because your legs are sore, change your stride (look at Chi running videos on YouTube). Never be afraid to repeat a day or even a week. The key to the program is persistence. Even those of us that have been running for a year have bad runs. I had one on Sunday. I think it was the heat and over-dressing, but I bonked (couldn't run another step) at about 4 miles. My planned run for the day was 6-7 miles. I didn't beat myself up over it, I just kept on and walked the rest. I'll make sure next time to check the temp on the beach (it was 10 degrees warmer) and take clothes with me in case I need to change.

I started today. I'm so proud of myself. I thought I would have more trouble but completed day 1 completely. :)

I've been doing it for a couple weeks now. Just completed week 3 day 3 today. I love it & have discovered an "inner runner" in the process.

I'm registered for a 5k in June and I find myself wondering....is this program REALLY going to have me ready by the end? I mean, i hear about tons of people "starting" the program, but I don't know if I've seen anyone who actually went from not running to completing the program & running a 5k. Grated I didn't read all 120 pages of this thread...lol.

I guess I'll just trust the process.