Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Started 'Couch to 5k today' Anyone keen?

Installed the app and just got back from the first session. Anyone else interested? Deano

I'm in!

Checking in. I got to the end of week 5 and felt like the intervals were distracting me. I decided one day just to run and forget about the app and see how long I could run. I ran 25 minutes uninterrupted, which was way longer than the 8 or so I was getting through at one time with the app. So, I felt pretty good about that and skipped ahead on the app to week 7 day 3, which for my app, is running 25 minutes. So hopefully within a couple of weeks I should be at the full 5K. Then I need to start transitioning to running outside instead of the treadmill. My 5k is June 1st, so I feel pretty good about getting this done! :-)

Not sure why I do better running uniterrupted than with the intervals.....anyone else feel this way or experience this?

Edited by livvsmum

@@livvsmum I am going to be doing week 5 day 2 tomorrow and I have been ruining at a local track by my house. I can't do treadmills I don't like them and I have balance issues. I haven't tried to run more than the app says yet. I haven't had to repeat any days yet but I'm still barely getting through each run/walk. My first 5K is June 7th a few days after yours!!! I can't wait to see how great we do!!!!

@@livvsmum I am going to be doing week 5 day 2 tomorrow and I have been ruining at a local track by my house. I can't do treadmills I don't like them and I have balance issues. I haven't tried to run more than the app says yet. I haven't had to repeat any days yet but I'm still barely getting through each run/walk. My first 5K is June 7th a few days after yours!!! I can't wait to see how great we do!!!!

Good luck! I'm sure we will both do great! Hopefully there will be some adrenaline working in our favor on race day as well! :-)

So...question for you all. What pace are you doing C25K at? I'm on week 8 day 2 and I usually do 4.5 and I'm only getting about 2.3 miles. With one more day left I'm not thinking I'm going to be at the 3.1 for the 5K. I guess I need to up my pace...... Thoughts?

@@livvsmum I am having the same issue. I'm not sure my pace but I am definitely to slow. I just got back from week 6 day 2 and I guess according to the app I should be running a 10 minute mile. That's not happening lol I am probably doing a 14 minute mile at this point. I just keep thinking ill work on speed later but later is almost here.

Don't worry about the pace. The time is more important. I did the couch to 5k more than 6 months ago and I still only finish a 5k in 31.

Also remember that C25K is just a training plan. It will get you to the point where you can run a 5K, not necessarily a 5K in 30 min. For example, the half marathon training plan I used only got me up to 11 miles before doing a half.

My first 5K I ran the whole way was 45 min! I'm now down to 35 minutes, but I'm still not pushing myself to go faster. I wouldn't worry about speed for your first year of running. Trying to increase speed before you're ready can cause injuries (especially the chronic type like shin splints, plantar facietis, and runners knee) and that's the last thing you need when you first start running.

I started week 8 tonight. I consistently run 14-15 minute miles....and I am totally fine with that. I like to focus on the mindboggling fact that I CAN RUN FOR 28 MINUTES STRAIGHT. I still can't believe it! Running is an integral part of my life now, and I love that. It's my go-to for stress release now. This program is awesome!

My first 5K is this Saturday! I missed a week due to weather (I can't stand treadmills so I have to run outside). My goal is simply to run as much of it as I can (hopefully the whole thing), at my same pace. I feel pretty confident! It's a color run so there's no pressure. So far, I run about 2 miles in the training time but I always feel like I can do more. I just plan on having fun :D