Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Texarkana Bandsters

Hi Lisa. I didn't have trouble replying yesterday but we'll see when I post this one.

We had a good and informative meeting last night. Amy talked about the difference between simple and complex carbohydrates, how to get them, to do's and not to do's. We did not get a hand out like usual but Deb ask Amy to post it on the website. She said she will, so just go to noscales.com (I am assuming) and watch for it to appear. We also had a speaker. A former lapband buddy. She is fours out and lost 130 pounds. She is wearing a size 7 jean. Looked wonderful. I will be happy to get to one twice that! LOL

Okay Teresa, we're on! Maybe that's what I need a little challenge to get me moving.lol.

Lo2us showed me one of those tube Protein things that she got a Joe Smoothie's. It said Whey-protein on it and and I believe it had 43 gm of protein. She divides hers into two servings. So that is $2 a serving. I think they would be good for those days that you aren't sure about your protein, or when you know you are short on protein. Everyone doesn't like cottage cheese, but for those who do, the lowfat has 13g of protein for 1/2 cup serving, and 80 calories. I am sure brands may vary a little, just check the lable. If I skip meat, which I often do, I will eat a serving of that to help with the protein for my meal. I have been getting hungry before my next meal time so I am going to make a concious effort to increase my protein. I am sure foods are the best way to get your protein but so many have hectic schedules, or short lunch times, like teachers ect. Supplement Proteins sure come in handy especially when you only have fifteen minutes to wolf down lunch....and we can't be WOLFING our food down!

Plain, any doubts, call Amy or email her. Were you at the meeting last night? I believe the docs have those tubes in the e-store. Lisa won one at her meeting one time. I think theirs are 25g of protein. Maybe she will even post to this site about them, if not you can fill us in on what she says to you. When are you going to post a ticker lol. we are nosy. lol Take care.

That's a good idea Sugarbear. I'll drop Amy a line and see if she can shed some light. I wouldn't mind paying 4$ for a tube, unless the Protein was not going to be absorbed, LOL.

I would like to come to the support meetings, but I'm stuck in the sleep lab Mon-Thurs. Technically, I'm at Wadley with y'all!!

I will certainly look into getting a ticker. I've meant to do it before now. Thanks for replying. Have a great day, all!

Hello!! I just got approved. Am having surgery with Dr Keilin on May 14th. I can't wait. I have a co-worker that is starting her pre-op diet today and is getting banded on April 30th. Any suggestions on the pre-op diet????

Hey Sharon. Maybe the others have some better suggestions. My advice: Grit your teeth, drink LOTS of Water, stay busy. It helped me tremendously to know that the reason for the diet is to shrink your liver, which makes the surgery much safer. You can absolutely do it. Good Luck.

Hello, and welcome Sharon. Plain is absolutely right about the pre-op diet. Stick strictly to it. If you need to munch, you can have sugsa free (sf) popcicles, sf Jello, and of course after a few days you can have one salad w/sf dressing. a day. It is the hardest part of the whole process as far as I am concerened. I was a weenie about it! BUT I made it through without cheating. But my lapband buddies on this thread supported me every single day. I could not have made it without them. We will be here for you every step also. Just post and someone is always here. You may also attend the support group meetings in Texarkana at Wadley the 2nd Mon. of every month 7:00p.m. Let someone know you are comming and we'll hunt for you there. Also get several of your favorite flavors of the sf drink mixes like Crystal Light, or Walmart has Great Value flavors that are the on the go things you can just put in bottle Water. Great when you are away from the house. You can get bottle water anywhere, just keep some in your car or purse so they are readily available wherever you are. I a a year past surgery now. So a few things could have changed on that pre-op. We could also have diet drinks. The drs. office will give you your copy of the diet. Hang in there. If you have any questions just ask away. We are glad to help.

Plain, see you got your ticker! When was your surgery? You are doing great!

good luck on your surgeries!

sbear - okay, i have blown completely out of the box the last two days, I seem to fall out at night. I gotta get going if I am going to beat you to the 75 pound pin. !!!!! You can brag on here if you want... that might kick me in gear.

I saw a lapbander today. she has lost 100 pounds. She said dont give up, the losing will start again if we do it right and not fight the band. She looks really good !! I started out with a Protein Bar. What are you doing sb or others to get this losing going again? Protein seems to what I hear most about.

Teresa, I am going to try to increase my Protein, since everyone says that is the name of the game. I still think I get enough or more than the average bandster. Of course that may be in my head because I don't really count the g's. Next time I am in Texarkana I am going to get some of those tubes a Joe Smoothie's, for the days I think I am short on protein. I may take them fairly regular to start just to see if they help me in the weight game. Other than that, I am starting to walk on a regular basis. If you have any food tips...pass them along. I feel like you, 50 lbs is not near the loss I can stay with. I have a lot farther to go than you and have been at it longer. We just gotta "dig in" Good luck! You are already looking good.

Down 4 lbs! Small fill yesterday! :) Weight lifting's working!

Hi Sugarbear. I Mox'd Amy (MOX is like Wadley's inhouse email between employees) Thursday night. Hopefully she will have answered by the time I go back in Monday night.

Hi everyone!! I am scheduled for Surgery 4/23/2008, and it seems like in the last few days everything I have read or seen about the LapBand has been negative, and to be honest is scaring the crap out of me. I am really considering backing out. I am not so much worried about the day of surgery of even the few days or months after. I am worried about 5-10 years down the road. I mean how much to we acutally know about the long term durablity of the band? I have heard stories of people ending up REALLY sick after a few years of the band, and the tube coming loose and embedding itself in the stomach. Then having to have major surgery to have it removed. Does anyone have any positive stories from friends or people who have had the band for years??:confused2: