Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beware of low B12

My levels were way high. I was taking sublinguals and occasional 5 hour energys which are loaded with 12. They told me having very high levels do not cause harm but I'm wasting money.

I assumed that I am ok, you are saying that I need to continue monitoring it?

Most definitely. Did you read the article I posted earlier about excess B12? The issues are posted as rare, but this relates to people who have normal sized stomaches with average absorption. Since we supplement, we may be more prone to issues. I don't know ... I am not a medical professional nor do I play one on T.V., but I do know I want to keep all of my bloodwork within the accepted ranges for optimal health.

My B12 levels are high over 1000. What I don't understand is why the drs still want me taking this supplement.

I had my 6 month post-op appointment yesterday' date=' with labs done ahead of time. Although I'm good at taking my Vitamins, I had dangerously low levels of B12. I now have to take my recommended weekly dose every single day for 6 weeks, then re-test and find a stabilizing dose. B12 deficiency is serious and can cause permanent neurological deficits. Make sure you're getting all of that monitored post-op! I'm glad my surgeon and nutritionist are on top of things! They also said I can expect to lose about half the weight I lost the first 6 months, in my second six months, with lots of exercise. That would put me right at my goal! All in all, a fairly easy experience. The B12 has been my only complication.[/quote']

Thanks for that info!

I saw my pcp last month and had all my bloodwork done, and then faxed copies to my NUT and Surgeon. My B-12 was at 664, and my pcp was pleased with that. I get an email from my NUT, requesting that I double my dose of B-12, then a couple of days later, the surgeons office called requesting I do the same. I asked why when the normal rage of refference was 223-1132, The reply was that the requirements for someone who has had bariatric surgery is twice that of the normal range of someone with the 'normal' stomach. I wonder what other levels are supposed to be higher for us as well?

My B12 levels are high over 1000. What I don't understand is why the drs still want me taking this supplement.

So they dont drop. its better to be safe than sorry

Does your insurance cover this or is it out of pocket?

Its cheaper for me not to file. My PCP charges $10 for a B12 inj with no spot...just walk in vax clinic hours. I have a $35 copay if I file it. So check and see what it would be just to get the inj.

So they dont drop. its better to be safe than sorry

Yes i think that's what they are afraid of.

http://www.usingvita...2-overdose.html

I tested high for B12 during my first check-up after surgery. They were surprised but not alarmed saying that I was getting too much but that it was harmless. My levels were high but not crazy high. Most post up check-up folks test low. I was taking sub-lingual plus a 5 hour energy about every other day. It has 500 mcg, (.5 mg).

I am no longer taking sub-lingual but I do hit a 5 hour energy ever so often. I haven't been checked for B12 for quite a while, I no longer have health insurance. I will be on Medicare by this time next year. The troubling part is that mega-doses of B12 may be related to increased risk of prostate cancer. I don't need to go down that road again. > http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15499634

http://ods.od.nih.go...thProfessional/

Health Risks from Excessive Vitamin B12

The IOM did not establish a UL for Vitamin B12 because of its low potential for toxicity. In Dietary Reference Intakes: Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Vitamin B12, Pantothenic Acid, Biotin, and Choline, the IOM states that "no adverse effects have been associated with excess vitamin B12 intake from food and supplements in healthy individuals" [5].

Findings from intervention trials support these conclusions. In the NORVIT and HOPE 2 trials, vitamin B12 supplementation (in combination with folic acid and vitamin B6) did not cause any serious adverse events when administered at doses of 0.4 mg for 40 months (NORVIT trial) and 1.0 mg for 5 years (HOPE 2 trial) [62,63].

Of course, it is very easy to find contra-evidence for just about anything on the internet these days. There are many articles I found in the GoogleVerse that can support any side to just about any story. But do note that in your reference, it says there are no adverse effects associated in healthy individuals. Most of us at the time of our surgery would not be classified in that category. Anybody interested should Google it to do your own research.

10 Important Side Effects of too Much Vitamin B12 That People Don’t Think About

Vitamin B12 is an important vitamin that is found in food and is also taken through a shot, supplements and gel. Used to help in weight loss and other medical problems such as anemia in patients, this vitamin is an important part of our diets. Vitamin B12 helps to metabolize fats and Proteins stored in the body, makes a special fatty coating that protects your nerves, helps you to produce and grow new cells, restores mental clarity and reduces the risk of several cardiovascular diseases among many other necessary and useful things. However, while it has many benefits, there are also some side effects that can make you ill if it is taken in large doses. Many of these side effects can be present when B12 is used at much higher doses than recommended.

• Blood Clots in the Legs: This side effect can become a serious problem if left untreated. If you suspect that you are experiencing blood clots, you should seek medical assistance as soon as possible for evaluation.
  • Diarrhea: Mild incontinence can often occur as a result of medications and supplements and is often overlooked as a side effect.
  • Swelling: Swelling can occur in the area of the mouth and throat as a reaction to allergies or a full body feeling of being swollen.
  • Breathing Problems: This can be anything from a wheezing sound while breathing all the way up to shortness of breath.
  • Exhaustion: Many people who use B12, experience some fatigue but those who are dealing with the effects of too much of the vitamin are often utterly exhausted and sleep more than normal
  • Hives: Hives and other skin irritations and itching are common responses to allergy and are often overlooked on their own. If the level of acne produced by your skin goes up, there’s a strong chance that B12 is its cause.
  • Frequent Urination: B12 has been used for the purpose of losing weight; this is because B Vitamins cause the body to process fats. However, consistent high levels of B12 can cause a more persistent and bothersome rate of urination.
  • Anxiety and Panic Attacks: Chest pressure, anxiety and even heart palpitations can occur as a result of too much B12 in the body.
  • Insomnia: While some people who experience extreme exhaustion will want to sleep all the time, others instead deal with the symptoms of insomnia. This does not always mean not being able to get to sleep. For some people, getting to sleep isn’t the issue; the problem lies in the ability to stay asleep long enough to get consistent restful sleep every night.
  • Dizziness and Lack of Coordination: Loss of coordination and even dizziness when combined with any of the above, warrants immediate medical attention as it could be linked to a less common side effect which could cause atrophy of the optic nerve.

If you experience any of these symptoms, it is wise to talk over them with a your doctor to determine if you need to lower your dose or if taking B12 supplements is actually necessary

Thanks for putting me on to this, PDX man. I will keep an eye on this and adjust myself accordingly. I think I will discontinue the 5 hour energys. My diet and Multivitamin supplement should suffice. :)

Thanks for putting me on to this' date=' PDX man. I will keep an eye on this and adjust myself accordingly. I think I will discontinue the 5 hour energys. My diet and multivitamin supplement should suffice. :)[/quote']

You should discontinue those anyways....you're a young healthy virile guy....you don't need it.