Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I am two and a half weeks post op (20 pounds down!). This week I have been experiencing a wicked amount of acid reflux (a burning feeling that comes up to the back up to my throat). I have been experiencing it all day everyday, regardless of whether I just "ate" or not. It was coming up while I was sitting up at my desk at work, resting at home, and sleeping. The only things I drink/eat are skim milk (with nonfat dry milk added) and Crystal Light or Diet V8 Splash.

In case anyone else experiences this post-op, I just wanted to tell you this is normal according to my surgeon (I had my first post-op appointment today) and will probably last for awhile while I heal. He told me to take Prilosec or Prevacid. I bought Prevacid at noon and am already feeling better! I should have just called 4 days ago when it got bad but I figured I would wait until my appointment. You don't have to live through that! Call your doc!

My surgery is in March. Thanks for the heads up! I will make sure I have the Prevacid on hand!

Any other "pointers" you can think of?

Thanks in advance!!

Lee :)

My surgery is in March. Thanks for the heads up! I will make sure I have the Prevacid on hand!

Any other "pointers" you can think of?

Thanks in advance!!

Lee :). Yes for me "Gas X Strips" they have been a life saver..... If you have a issue with bowel movements Milk of Magnesa.... Best wishes on your surgery!

Tips?

Keep saying the mantra "it gets better." Every day things get better: the pain, the emotions, the weird feelings when you drink. And before you know it, you are rewarded with weight loss!

My tastes seems to change everyday. I was able to eat my chewable Vitamins for the first week post op. Now, they make me nauseous. Like they actually come back up or make me feel blah :P I am switching to the Celebrate Vitamins you can mix together like Crystal Light (Celebrate bariatric vitamins are what my surgeon recommends).

The simpler the taste the better for me. I was able to drink some Protein shakes and Carnation Instant Breakfast-No Sugar Added post op. But after a week, the only thing I want is plain skim milk with nonfat dry milk powder added (by drinking 3 to 4, 8 ounce glasses of these a day, I get my 50+ grams of daily Protein needs).

My best tip would be using alcohol wipes to stop nausea. I got nauseous about 4 times during my 3 day hospital stay. I would call for my nurse and she would quickly put one on my nose and I would take like 3 to 5 deep breaths and it would calm me down (meanwhile she would be putting nausea medicine in my IV but told me it would take a few minutes to work). I still use this trick regularly (my nurses kindly gave me like 30 wipes to take home). Granted I don't get anti-nausea meds pumped into me anymore but it still works (you have to realize early post-op nausea is a little more intense because of all the pain meds they are pumping you with).

One more thing - friends and family act funny post op. Learn to deal with it/laugh it off. A coworker ate candy in front of me and then was like Oops! And hid the wrapper behind her back. I laughed it off but trust me, I want nothing to do with sweets right now! And then the other day my dad was driving me to the pharmacy and was mad that I didn't "eat" anything that day yet. He asked if I could have a Wendy's Frosty! Clearly that is not a good idea - but I gave him an alternative, we went to McDonalds and I got a kid-sized milk. I now use that little half pint container daily (8 oz)...cutest thing ever. I digress...

Let me know if you have any other questions while it is still fresh!!

Good luck with your surgery! I am sure it has been a long journey. I had to go through a 6 month insurance approval process. I pinch myself everyday that I am now on the other side!