Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone with anxiety. Did it get worse after

Karissa - I wouldn't say my full blown panic attacks have gotten worse but my anxiety about having a panic attack is ever-present and very high. It's especially high at night - my husband works third shift and I find myself trying to constantly keep my mind and hands occupied so I don't think about what could happen. We moved to a new city (away from my family) just before the surgery so I don't even know anyone in our neighborhood to turn to if I truly do panic and bolt from the house. :) The what-if's are the root of a big panic attack for me these days so, again, I try not to let the what-if's spiral out of control. I take a couple of different medications, Celexa being one, but only one med dosage has been increased to address the increased anxiety I'm experiencing since surgery.

My hope is that once all the hormones calm down, I'll calm down. You know?

Stick with the meds. They take some time to on-board and level out.

Karissa - I wouldn't say my full blown panic attacks have gotten worse but my anxiety about having a panic attack is ever-present and very high. It's especially high at night - my husband works third shift and I find myself trying to constantly keep my mind and hands occupied so I don't think about what could happen. We moved to a new city (away from my family) just before the surgery so I don't even know anyone in our neighborhood to turn to if I truly do panic and bolt from the house. :) The what-if's are the root of a big panic attack for me these days so' date=' again, I try not to let the what-if's spiral out of control. I take a couple of different medications, Celexa being one, but only one med dosage has been increased to address the increased anxiety I'm experiencing since surgery.

My hope is that once all the hormones calm down, I'll calm down. You know?

Stick with the meds. They take some time to on-board and level out.[/quote']

Yes I'm hoping things will level out soon, because having anxiety is horrible. I have this extreme fear of my breathing being obstructed. I've found it increasingly hard to put on an air pack lately and I'm a firefighter so it's a need-to-do.

I don't think any of this is surprising. I think most of us notice our negative emotions more because we used to calm them with food. When you can't do that you start feeling crazy until you learn different ways to cope--hopefully healthier ones. But it's part of why transfer addictions (alcoholism etc) are so common after WLS. I know I didn't even realize I'd been having anxiety all my life until a couple years ago--I've been treating it with food for so long I didn't even realize I was anxious until it got way out of control. Now I am dealing with this with my therapist and it is very helpful.

I feel like my entire world is outta control as my weight drops slowly fastly doesn't seem to matter im very anxious and fidgety hubby keeps asking me if im on drugs which is a huge laugh but that is another story i just feel so outtta control wondering if anyone knows if there is an explanation and fix for this

Maybe go to the doctor and get a Xanax prescribed to you - a low dose to take the edge off. The first month for me- 2months for my fiancé, we were very nasty and on edge. Just a bicker for no reason but I'm better now, and so is he

Karissa - I can empathize on breathing obstructions as well. The shower has become a claustrophobic, panic-inducing experience for me. While it's not critical to my job, it's critical to being a clean, decent-smelling human being. I've taken to showering only when I know my husband is at home, which is another thing I hope to be working on soon (once meds kick in to shore me up, so to speak.) I so hope you find some peace and relief soon, especially in light of your vocation. Stay in touch, ok?

I take my Xanax (1/2 of .5 mg pill) when my emotions are out of control. I don't get PMS any more but boy do I act like I have it! My food addiction, low blood sugar snd a stressful job topped by two teenage daughters, 18&19...need I say more? I'm exercising when I can and it does help, and I've been cleaning,organizing and doing a lot of unusual (for me!) things - I guess it's to replace the food I can't eat and all the time I now have since it's not all spent on eating or worrying about eating! Wow did I waste a lot of time! No wonder my house was so unorganized-no time! As for the Xanax- it does really help with the anxiety and OCD behaviors and I don't experience any side affects. If a take it twice in one week, that's a lot. But when I need it, it's there.

Spot on! I struggled so badly with this first full period post-op because I couldn't turn to food. Nor can I turn to it for any other frustration, mood or celebration. So yeah, I've also been doing a lot of things that I previously wouldn't have focused on. :)

Just left dr office he put me back on celexa 20 mg and visteril 25 mg tid prn took me off the buspar cause it seemed to make everything worse i go back in 3 weeks he offered clonipin and valium but i turned em down not wanting to go that route anyway heres to hoping to level out SOON

Karissa - I can empathize on breathing obstructions as well. The shower has become a claustrophobic' date=' panic-inducing experience for me. While it's not critical to my job, it's critical to being a clean, decent-smelling human being. I've taken to showering only when I know my husband is at home, which is another thing I hope to be working on soon (once meds kick in to shore me up, so to speak.) I so hope you find some peace and relief soon, especially in light of your vocation. Stay in touch, ok?[/quote']

Definitely, thank you for sharing. It's nice to know that I'm not alone.

I take my Xanax (1/2 of .5 mg pill) when my emotions are out of control. I don't get PMS any more but boy do I act like I have it! My food addiction' date=' low blood sugar snd a stressful job topped by two teenage daughters, 18&19...need I say more? I'm exercising when I can and it does help, and I've been cleaning,organizing and doing a lot of unusual (for me!) things - I guess it's to replace the food I can't eat and all the time I now have since it's not all spent on eating or worrying about eating! Wow did I waste a lot of time! No wonder my house was so unorganized-no time! As for the Xanax- it does really help with the anxiety and OCD behaviors and I don't experience any side affects. If a take it twice in one week, that's a lot. But when I need it, it's there.[/quote']

Do you have to crush up the Xanax after the sleeve?

It all depends on the person' date=' I tolerate pills well and don't need to crush mine when I take it.[/quote']

I don't need to crush pills either, don't be afraid -

It all depends on the person' date=' I tolerate pills well and don't need to crush mine when I take it.[/quote']

Nope, I've had no problem with pills since my surgery. A 1/2 of a lorazopram (generic Xanax) is pretty tiny.

Nope' date=' I've had no problem with pills since my surgery. A 1/2 of a lorazopram (generic Xanax) is pretty tiny.[/quote']

Im able to also take Allegra d, Biotin, Prilosec (all full size at once with no problem

Lorazapam is generic for Ativan, not Xanax. Xanax is alprazolam. You shouldn't have trouble taking the pills without crushing them. I take a handful of pills in the am and pm without any trouble.