Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

question about protein

i was curious about something - prior to surgery, i did NOT eat enough Protein. i would get 20-30g a day max. i am currently half way through my 2nd week post op and average 50-60g per day, although i know my goal is supposed to be 80g. it is so difficult especially because i hate these shakes!

when i move onto pureed/soft foods, since you can't eat more than a few bites, how does the food even provide you with enough Protein? don't you still need Protein shakes (ugh, my worse nightmare!) ? it is just hard to fathom i guess and i'm trying to do whatever i can to avoid these shakes lol

If you don't want to have to supplement with shakes or Protein Bars, when you get to real food you will have to try to make food decisions that have a lot of Protein in order to get it in. By the way my surgeon said at least 60 grams so I do believe there is some leeway on the exact amount, I mostly try to eat foods high in protein and if my energy stays ok I don't worry about the exact grams. Good Luck.

The amount of Protein you need is based upon your lean body weight.

# of lbs X .6 or.8 = daily required Protein grams

If you get creative, it really isn't hard to get all your protein once your stomachs swelling goes down.

If you get creative' date=' it really isn't hard to get all your protein once your stomachs swelling goes down.[/quote']

So if I use your formula- 244 x .6= 146. So that means I should have 146 grams of protein per day? Right now I'm averaging 60- 80 a day.

So if I use your formula- 244 x .6= 146. So that means I should have 146 grams of Protein per day? Right now I'm averaging 60- 80 a day.

You missed a word;).It's based on your LEAN body mass.

Find out what your weight would be if your BMI was 20-22 and use that weight I'm betting it will give you a number between 60 & 90

I think the OP does have an interesting point: Before surgery, I am quite sure I was not getting 80 grams of Protein, and I did not notice any ill effects.

What will happen if you are Protein deficient, and why the great emphasis on it after surgery?

I think the OP does have an interesting point: Before surgery' date=' I am quite sure I was not getting 80 grams of Protein, and I did not notice any ill effects.

What will happen if you are Protein deficient, and why the great emphasis on it after surgery?[/quote']

I'll bet you $1000 you were getting way over 80g pre op.

I'll bet you 1000 you were getting way over 80g pre op.

You think so? meat has not historically been my "thing." In fact, prior to surgery, I ate very little meat. I guess maybe dairy and such would get me to 80 pre-op.

Still, why is the Protein so crucial?

You think so? meat has not historically been my "thing." In fact' date=' prior to surgery, I ate very little meat. I guess maybe dairy and such would get me to 80 pre-op.

Still, why is the Protein so crucial?[/quote']

Aside from Water Protein makes up most of the human body.

The body need protein to heal, and to build.

A lack of protein will cause muscle deterioration, hair loss, weak or brittle nails, and it will retard the healing process.

The body needs protein to survive. If it doesn't get what it needs it will cannibalize itself for it. You don't want to lose muscle mass to cannibalization because with less muscle your metabolism slows hence slowing your weightloss.

Aside from Water Protein makes up most of the human body.

The body need Protein to heal' date=' and to build.

A lack of protein will cause muscle deterioration, hair loss, weak or brittle nails, and it will retard the healing process.

The body needs protein to survive. If it doesn't get what it needs it will cannibalize itself for it. You don't want to lose muscle mass to cannibalization because with less muscle your metabolism slows hence slowing your weightloss.[/quote']

I completely agree. Protein are the building blocks for cells and cells are everything in your body! hair, skin, muscles, blood, etc. Its not just something doctors say but it's really important.

If you don't like meat do you like tofu? Or Greek yogurt has a lot of protein. Way more than Yoplait. Tilapia fish is good too. Black Beans...lentils

As well, Protein is in a lot of things. We just generally talk about the good sources because we can eat so little.

There's Protein in wheat for instance. I know I was getting a good slug of protein pre op from Pasta and bread! I just couldn't eat that much Pasta and bread now.

Protein isn't critical to weight loss, but it will make a difference to muscle mass, and how you look and feel at the same weight.

If you get creative, it really isn't hard to get all your protein once your stomachs swelling goes down.

So when is it .6 and when is it .8? Dumb question??

.6 for most people. .8 for an active lifestyle.

My surgeon recommended between 60-80 with 60gms being for most women and 80gms for most men.With exceptions for very active people so I would guess most women would multiply by 0.6 since we don't generally require as much...

Thanks OTR and Kali. I've been aiming for 70-80 for the past three weeks, and you're right on target with your advice.