Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have not had gastric sleeve' date=' but my sister has and this is her horror story. In the month after her May surgery, by Dr. Chua of Aurora Sinai in Milwaukee, my sister (Jane) came down with flu like symptoms. Although she contacted her primary physician, who was aware of the recent surgery, and I believe she had an office visit with Dr. Chua, nobody showed any concern about infection. This is despite the fact that EVERYBODY knows that infection mimics flu like symptoms and it was nowhere near flu season. Nobody ever did any scans post surgery to determine of there was any issue with the healing of the internal surgery area - even though I have since learned that other patients had experienced similar issues to what my sister was about to go through.

It turned out (after three ER visits in three days, despite the fact that I said I was worried about infection from the very first visit) that a staple hadn't held and that food/fluid had been leaking into her abdomen from the stomach causing a MASSIVE infection. By the time Aurora Lakeland in Elkhorn paid any attention to this she was almost dead. She barely made it through and it was literally touch and go for WEEKS!! AND that hospital wouldn't even treat her because they don't do bariatric surgeries - she had to be airlifted to Milwaukee.

What followed were numerous surgeries, months in ICU and then regular hospital (from July 4th weekend into October), an induced coma with her hands strapped to the bed so she wouldn't inadvertantly pull out tubes and wires, being intubated for breathing assistance, additional infections, memory loss of that entire time, and leaving on a feeding tube. She has been on that feeding tube for over two years now.

Oh she's thin alright. woohoo. But she gets her food from a bag hanging on an iv rack and has to grind her meds and flush them through the feeding tube line, as well as a drain that collects Fluid from her abdomen and open wounds that need daily care. She has NO muscles left. She probably couldn't walk a block if she was allowed to.

She came home from that hospital stay with a GIANT open wound the length of her abdomen - I mean it was big enough for me to stick both my hands into - and a wound vac installed in it to constantly vacuum up the Fluid and goop that goes along with healing. That fluid drained into a plastic container that hung from tube(s) coming out of her abdomen - which she had to have with her always. It was all very painful and really gross.

That was just the first hospitalization. By January she was back in the hospital with another massive infection that had burned through her diaphragm and into her lungs. This time she spent her time in pulmonary ICU. You see they told her to start trying to eat - that they thought the holes in her stomach had closed, but they didn't do regular scans to verify this....again! They were wrong. Again.

Only this time her primary physician, Dr. Rosol of Aurora Lake Geneva, had diagnosed her with pneumonia over the phone and had given her a prescription not even strong enough to deal with pneumonia. So when she didn't get better, by the time the Aurora ER took her seriously she was again near death. This time they had to do lung surgery AND abdominal surgery to clear out and treat the raging infection caused by fluid and matter leaking from the stomach into everywhere.

So apparently this type of thing isn't that uncommon with this surgery, nor are the "fistulas" that develop as a result of this complication from this type of surgery. If the tissue around this fistula isn't so damaged that it can heal on its own it could take years. If it's damaged - as hers was from all that infection - there is no sewing it closed and it doesn't heal on its own. Imagine being on a feeding tube for the rest of your life - never tasting food, never enjoying a meal or a drink or a dessert or a holiday with your family again. Never a chocolate bar, or a bowl of Cereal, or a salad, or a glass of juice. NOTHING. All because someone convinced you that gastric sleeve surgery was the answer.

So if you are considering this surgery, don't. It's just not worth the risk. I know, if my sister could go back, she would choose fat over this lack of a life any day of the week. I grew up thin and am now fat and I would NEVER EVER EVER have a surgery to reduce my weight. Although I haven't been able to be disciplined enough to do it I know the only solution is eat less, move more. Two steps. The only solution.[/quote']

First of all very sorry to hear about your sister secondly I do have my doubts about the story you mentioned this happened last may then how has she been on feeding tube for 2 years. Also it seems to me its more like doctors/ hospitals fault.if the story is true its rarest of the rare case next thing you will say is that dont step out of the house cause someone got into an accident . All surgeries have risks but I rather be healthy skinny and active you can choose to live whatever suits you again we all have our own minds and common sense but discouraging people seems to be the sole purpose of this sad story. Plus you only have one post.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using VST

I can guarantee its someone who didn't get approved or someone who is scared to go thru it and is making things up to discourage other people only one post since they joined wow.....

Sounds like malpractice and an inability to self advocate. If people do not research and know what can go wrong and demand, not ask, but demand propper care things can go from bad to horrific fast. Sorry to hear about your sister but I would be looking for different docs (assuming this story is real, some of the dates arent matching Imo.

What exactly is the purpose of this story? And why did you post?

I'm confused. You said she had her surgery in May but you then said she has been on a feeding tube for two years? When exactly did she have the surgery?

Good one :) she is fake. Making up story

What a tragic story. So sorry to hear about her unfortunate post op. we are all made aware of the risks involved, including death. This is just a choice we decide on to improve our quality of life. I'm sure that was what your sister was planning on as well. It's very obvious how much you love your sister and how knowledgable you are with the medical terms and equipment. I'm a nurse and I can tell you care. However, on that note it is important not to judge others on what they choose to do with their bodies. Who are we to judge how a person lives, eats, dresses, etc. you can only be there as a loving support to your fellow man. I will pray for you and your sister for improved healing both physically and emotionally. Praying goes a long way. Also counseling is helpful to deal with the anger, confusion and sadness associated with this tragic event. God bless you and to everyone else who feels trapped in a big body. It's not fun but there are solutions.

Sounds like malpractice and an inability to self advocate. If people do not research and know what can go wrong and demand' date=' not ask, but demand propper care things can go from bad to horrific fast. Sorry to hear about your sister but I would be looking for different docs (assuming this story is real, some of the dates arent matching Imo.[/quote']

Imao the story and dates don't make any sense plus they only have one post

You are an idiot to post this here. I don't have any problem wih people posting their stories (even ones with bad outcomes), but in no way shape or form is this kind of situation common. The opposite is true. So stop trying to scare people away from LIFE SAVING surgery with your story. It would have been fine if you had told the story and left it at that. But no, you have to punctuate it at the end with your moronic advice and how you would never have weight loss surgery. [XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX VIOLATION OF FORUM RULES] People die from having their wisdom teeth out- should they not have surgery to alleviate their pain?

I hate trolls.

-Kendra

While you may strongly disagree with the OP, there is no need to resort to name calling. The name caller is the one put in an unfavorable light, and it is against the forum policies.

Edited by *susan*
Violation of forum rules

[XXXXXXXXXXXXX VIOLATION OF FORUM RULES] she said what happened to her while doing the surgery so everybody's aware.

Oh boy, yet another genius who should not touch this surgery with a ten foot pole. I say this because apparently you cannot read.

Edited by *susan*
Violation of forum rules

This is a very sad story indeed. Seriously sounds like malpractice.

I disagree with the whole "someone I love had a very bad experience therefore this is a bad surgery to have" mentality. My grandmother died of complications following knee replacement surgery, but I would never advise that people would be better of in wheelchairs rather than getting knee replacement surgery. It just doesn't make any sense.

Imao the story and dates don't make any sense plus they only have one post

I'm really dissapointed to see the way you're acting on this topic. Despite the fact that the story may be false, it's just not appropriate to repeatedly attack someone like you're doing.

To the OP: I'm very sorry to hear about your sister. This is a very dangerous surgery and it's also taken very seriously. That is why psych evaluations and nutritionist meetings are required for almost every insurance.

Thank you for outlining how important it is to research this surgery, not only to make sure it's right for you but also to know what is happening to your body. It's also very important to sit and talk to your surgeon about their procedures and ensure that testing is done prior to the surgeon sending you home. Every surgeon should do a leak test before they close up after surgery. My surgeon submerges the sleeve and checks for air leaks and there's also a swallow test and x-ray the day after surgery before I got to drink anything.

This is the very reason so many of us are so serious about this surgery. It has real consequences and not getting proper care can be devestating.

I'm really dissapointed to see the way you're acting on this topic. Despite the fact that the story may be false' date=' it's just not appropriate to repeatedly attack someone like you're doing.

To the OP:[/quote']

I am just stating the facts not disrespecting anyone. We live in a society where we all have right to express our opinion sorry if you don't like it but I keep it real.

I am just stating the facts not disrespecting anyone. We live in a society where we all have right to express our opinion sorry if you don't like it but I keep it real.

You certainly have the right to express your opinions. Within the confines of the forum's usage policy that you agreed to when you made your account. You should keep that in mind when you're "keeping it real".

Given that I was unfortunate enough to go through much of what this person's sister has gone through I certainly feel they have a right to their opinion. Just because you disagree with it does not mean they shouldn't be given the same level of respect that someone who is gung ho for this surgery gets.

I am no idiot. I researched my surgery and physician quite well and I am a strong advocate for my care, and yet, when you are the person dying you might be in a position where you just can't fight. You're too weak, drugged up, whatever, it's hard and for anyone to question a person's ability at that time that has never experienced that level of suffering...well that's not fair and should be apologized for.

While this case is extreme, and thank god mine wasn't that bad, I also faced the future without being able to eat again due to the decay of my tissues and the difficulty in repairing them. It's a very real issue. If this is a troll it's a troll who has experienced something of this because they understand the process that the damage can take. I doubt it's a troll. Likely it's someone who's heart has been broken by what has happened to their family member who just wants to see no one else suffer like this. To be beat up for that is really kind of crappy. One post or one hundred...they deserve some respect.

OP I'm so sorry about your sister's condition. I and many others here have been down that road, though not to the extent she has been. I'm sorry for your pain, and actually agree with you in many cases. This surgery is preformed far too often and we see more and more stories like this because of it. I think about a third of the people who have the surgery should. Write your local media and representatives. This story should be told. I'd love to see people like me NOT be able to have this surgery. Not because I'm an idiot or didn't research, but because it's not a good choice for many. There are other options that should be exhausted first.