Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Bander To Be--First Post

I am preparing for Band Surgery on Nov. 11. I am so ready, but a liitle nervous. I am a self-pay traveling to Mexico. Most of family and friends are against this, but I feel.....I have made right decision for me.:clap2:

I recently retired (33 yrs. of teaching) and am ready to enjoy myself, but am almost handicapped because of weight. I need a knee replacement broke knee cap (10 yrs. ago), but Drs. naturally want me lighter!

Scheduled surgery is with Dr. Kuri! What do you advise I take and know before leaving?:P

I have enjoyed reading posts and am impressed by what so many have accomplished!

Hi, I just wanted to welcome you to our website and congratulation you on your decision. Let us know if we can be of any help.

page001,

I'm a teacher too and had 2 total knee replacements at the ripe old age of 45. That was 2 1/2 years ago and then this summer I was diagnoed with diabetes. That was the breaking point. I want to live. I'm only 48 but felt 80. I can't even imagine what I'd have felt like at actually the age of 80. I decided to do this and did it within 6 weeks of making up my mind. I had to self-pay ...$16,000. and have lost 26 pounds since Oct. 3rd banding. It was sooooo worth it! I feel better than I have in my entire life. I truly don't remember feeling this good even in my teen years. I think it's because I know I have such a great future ahead of me. I'm menatlly and physically changing daily for the good. Also, I'm eating better than I ever have in my life. No junk food, no bread, no sugar. I was addicted to chocolate and Pepsi. I took a sip of Pepsi the other day and it tasted awful. I nibbled on a piece of candy that I bought in the mountains and it tasted so sweet, it turned my mouth! I now crave fish. I never really cared for it before. It's as if my body knows what it needs (protein) and it signals your mind. It's like your mind and body come together to make this work. I don't think the band will work until this happens.

I also felt like I just existed! Crawl out of bed, go to work, go by to get something to eat and come in and flop in the recliner until bedtime. Now, I'm busier than ever. I LOVE life now.

good luck!!!! and remember that it's not just the band that has to do this...your mind is also in control.

llewis

Thanks for the encouragement. Just thinking about having an active life again is what keeps me going! My first grand child was born on Oct. 3 seeing him grow up is a great incentive.

Hi Me Too Im Having Surgery In Mexico On The 23rd Of November Im So Glad To Hear Someone With The Same Doctor It Makes Me Feel Better, Good Luck I Cant Wait To Hear More

Welcome aboard! I, too, am a retired teacher. I retired at 56 because I was so heavy I couldn't get up and down stairs, couldn't take care of my family/home, could hardly get behind the wheel of my car. After 5 yrs of retirement, I'd gained 60 lbs, had 4 hearts stents, and was shopping for an extra-wide wheelchair. My life was over. Then I decided to have a lapband. Six months later, I'm 95 lbs lighter, take half the meds I was, walk a mile a day, and feel better than I have in my life. It has saved my life. I need to lose another 100 lb at least, but now I know I can and that I do have a future. :clap2:

I wish you well for your surgery and for your future life!!

Hey Christine and welcome from Houston. Congratulations on your band.

Hope everything is going great for you. This is a great place for info. and to make new band friends. May you have all the sucess with your new life.:D

Hello...Welcome...and Congrats to all of you newbies, and soon to be banders! This is an awesome site, you will find all kinds of good info here! If you have a specific question about something, just ask, and there are many wise people here who will readily try to help you out.

Let's see page 001 ask what she should take or know going to Mexico. I went to a different part of MX, but figure it is close to the same. I would take very comfortable clothing, elastic waists for flying home. Possibly a heavier shirt, or light jacket, some women have been unable to wear their bra for a few days. I wore mine no problem, and my incisions are very high, but I managed! I would pack very lightly, you will be responsible for your luggage, in the airport, and you don't want to have to hassle with heavy dragging suitcases etc. I took liquid Tylenol, which they ended up giving me a bottle and I didn't need, but you could easily toss in one of the new Go Tabs packets, and have it, without taking up weight and space. You could take some of the SF drink packets, to mix in bottled Water. The hospital I was in gave us bottled water, or juice. We were unsure of the tea or coffee because we had always heard bad things about the water!!! So if you prefer flavor they work fine, and are ok on a liquid diet. Simple things I wish I had had and didn't, that are harder to come by than here in the states hospitals...chapstick, and lotion, and a nail file...emery board will work and be legal at the airport!

My suggestion if you need one is to ask the flight attendant as you board heading for your seat (as she is welcoming you) for a seatbelt extender, she will reach directly behind her and hand it to you. At that time everyone is busy finding their own seat, and standing in line behind you, not watching what either of you are doing. If you wait she will walk down the aisle with it in full view of everyone who is now just sitting, watching her and waiting to take off. Also grab an airline pillow as soon as you can, it may be more comfy with it between the belt and your incisions. Also have a small one in the car for the ride home, the car seat belts (the shoulder one) really hit mine.

Can't think of anything else right now, if I do I will pop back in. If I can answer anything else...just ask!

Good Luck all...I hope for you easy surgeries, and quick uneventful recoveries!!!

Kat

One more thing!!! Shoes! Easy on and off shoes...at the airport we had to remove them of course, and bending is not always easy at first to re-tie shoes. Slide-ons would be ideal! The airport will be the biggest challenge to the trip home. Avoid excess jewelry or anything that might cause the detectors to go off! If your bag is heavy check it--make it as easy on yourself as possible.

I had a 5 hour flight home, as well as 5 hours by car, I did it the 3rd day with nothing but a shot of Tylenol. I am not unusual...this is not a bad surgery. Just simplify it for yourself if you can!

Kat

I just found out this AM, I am approved, don't have surgery date yet, but do have a few of the appt's set up, going with Kane Center Bariatrics in Elk Grove, Il....Page001, you are the same age as me, good luck on your journey, will check back in....