Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey guys,

I looked on this page and others before choosing my doctor, so I figured I would share my experience now that I am done! I know it is a little bit long.....but it is everything I wish I would have known to ease my curiousity :D

I went through Mexico Bariatric Center. Once I filled out the contact request I received an email from CHRISTY - who became my contact person the whole time. She was amazing! She was very friendly, stayed in contact with me frequently, stayed honest throughout, and made me feel like she was in it with me! I actually booked a surgery back in November....bought my ticket.....then chickened out. She did not try and persuade me at all! She agreed not to do it until I was ready. I ended up contacting her again, because I felt comfortable, and booked it for Dec. 21, 2012.

The night before I flew down I received a call from VICTOR - who was my driver. He was such a sweet man. He had stories and jokes to share about Tijuana TO and FROM the airport. I flew in the day before surgery. Victor was already outside of the baggage claim when I arrived. We went directly to the Hotel Marriott. It was very beautiful and safe! In fact, you have to use your room key to even get the elevator to move. Everyone there was extremely friendly and helpful. The beds were so fluffy that I had a great sleep before the big day. When I arrived at the hotel I was greeted by my go-to person DANIEL. He was also very friendly, informative, and caring!

Daniel is not just the contact person, but like a "brother from another mother". He makes sure everything runs smoothly, translates for you, and is there for you at every transition! He even came to visit a few times each day at the hospital! If you go through Mexico Bariatric Center you should totally request Daniel to be your contact person.

On the day of surgery I took the Marriott (free) shuttle to Mi Doctor Hospital. Daniel was there to greet me and take care of all of the talking. I was given a room, a Johnny and TIGHT leggings to wear. I then had a pre-op session. This was where they did blood work, took my weight and height, and inserted the I.V. I was also visited and introduced to ALL of my doctors and nurses. Shortly after I was wheelchaired to the surgery room. It was very clean and non-threatening. I couldn't believe how many doctors/nurses were in there. Surprisingly I was NOT nervous at all - since I knew that I wouldn't remember anything once I fell asleep LOL. The anesthesiologist was so caring and gentle! I felt like I knew him............and then fell asleep! The last thing I remember was him smiling down at me while Dr. Cabrera rubbed my face. DR. LOUISIANA Valenzuela was heading my surgery with DR. ISMAEL CABRERA-GARCIA as her assistant. They normally take turns being the lead - but BOTH are excellent at what they do!

Apparently my surgery went from 1 hour to 2 hours because they found a Hiatal Hernia in my esophagus. That is when your stomach pouch is larger than normal and pushes it's way into the esophagus. They repaired it along with my surgery for $500 more. I was so glad that they found it and fixed while up in me! I woke up in a recovery room. As soon as I woke up they walked me to my hospital room - where I slept in and out throughout the day. Closer to the evening I started my walking rounds around the hallway. (VERY IMPORTANT FOR RECOVERY!) I was barely in pain!!!! The easiest way to describe the pain was like a cramp when you are running. This pain was NOT constant! Whenever I felt it, I put my hand over it and pushed in - which helped ease it. The next day (day 2) I felt GREAT! I did a lot more walking around the nurses station and started drinking Gatorade. (after they did the Xray with the liquid). I had many visitors from the doctors, Daniel, people from the recovery room, and even my anesthesiologist! I couldn't believe how great I felt - after hearing about other people's experiences! You will feel gas bubbles here and there - but practice pushing it out through burps and eventually you will get a good fart in....smooth sailing from there LOL :lol:

On day 3 Dr. Valenzuela came to do my final check before releasing me. Once again, I felt great.... little pain..... and was ready to go - BUT I had to get my tube taken out first. OMG, although it takes less than a minute to remove it - It was a surreal feeling to get a long skinny tube slowly pulled across and out of a whole in my stomach. Yes it hurt for like 30 seconds, but it had to be done! Once that was done, she gave me my 4 different medications, explanations, and a lot of nutritional paperwork. It also included a CD of the Xray of my new banana shaped stomach pouch! You can watch the liquid going down it - too cool!

Once I got my release, Daniel was already there for me with the Marriott Shuttle. We even detoured to an outside pharmacy to pick up one more medicine bottle, and Snacks for my plus 1. I then stayed at the Marriott for another night (but could've stayed for two nights). Victor called an confirmed pick-up times. (By the way, at the hotel - the patient can eat in the restaurant for free using their room key. Make sure you tell them you are there for Bariatric Surgery. You can get broth, Jello, and popsicles. If someone is with you.....they have to pay BUT you get 25% discount. GET THE BUFFET! It is worth it - especially with the discount)

To end my journey, Victor picked my plus one and I up at the Marriott. We then had to drive through customs to enter U.S. and make our way to the airport. NOTE: The San Diego airport is HORRIBLE :angry: and offers very little food options. They are under construction and will have a food court one day......but not yet! You can go to Terminal 1 where there is a Starbucks and a really nice restaurant! Although I couldn't eat......it smelled and looked so good. Starbucks had a good mint tea that I drank - which was very soothing!

FINALLY (I PROMISE) a few points I wanted to add:

*Tijuana is safer than you think!

*Going into the border is quick and easy...Out of the border takes longer, but make sure you have your passports and meds out!

* $1 US dollar is equal to $ 12.60 Mexican dollars. (although the currency changes daily)

*Gastric Sleeve is running $4500 American dollars right now (which is great!) This includes pre-op lab work, Surgery, 2 day hospital stay, medicine, food for patient, personal driver, personal contact person, 1 pre stay hotel, 2 post surgery stay at hotel. (does NOT include airfare or food for the plus one). MY PLUS ONE STAYED IN THE BED NEXT TO ME AT HOSPITAL

*Have your plus one bring snacks. There is a deli on the 1st floor of hospital which seems to run @ $6.00 American for a meal - but they close EARLY! If YOU, the patient, want broth, Gatorade, Popsicle, etc... be sure to ASK! It doesn't just come.

* DR. VALENZUELA/DR. CABRERA are the doctors to go with!!! Call Christy before you change your mind... (you want to ask to have Daniel and Victor too)

I hope this helps! Feel free to ask any question........ I know what you are going through! In a separate blog I'll update my status since this is so long LOLOLOL...... :P

David

Congratulations on your successful surgery. I am sure that you will be very happy with your sleeve. I noticed though that you did not have much weight to lose, have you had weight issues? I agree too Mexico is the way to go!!

Amazon13 - Yes, I have had weight issues my whole life. I was a chunk when I was little up until the summer before high school....then I starved myself and lost so much weight to enter.... I was extremely skinny throughout high school, and then my body started changing again. From there I was up and down, yet never maintained! My BMI was considered OBESE for the rest of my life so far..... even when I went to the gym with a personal trainer! I thought I looked good, but that BMI only seemed to go up and screwed up the way I see myself. I did this surgery for myself :) I wanted help to get my weight back down and stay there, and lower my BMI! (good thing too because I ended up with that hiatal hernia)

Thanks for the congrats :) I feel great.................no regrets ;)

Glad to hear everything went well with them. I have them booked to do my sleeve on the 17.

Great post! I'm glad all went well for you. I'm scheduled with Dr. Cabrera on February 22nd. Very nervous as I will be alone, but this post was exactly what I was looking for to reassure myself that I made a good decision.

Glad to hear everything went well with them. I have them booked to do my sleeve on the 17.

I will be ther for surg on the 17th also Big

I will be ther for surg on the 17th also Big

Cool, It's not to much longer. leave for San Diego on the 15

I'm from Lasning, MI and am going to Dr. Cabrera/Venezuela in Tijuana on 2/5 and surgery the next day. I am planning on Medcal Tourism Company but may have to switch due to they're ability to accept my financial payment method. I am being smart and researching the company that will best accomodate me. I'm taking 8 days off work. I am confident that Drs. Cabrera/Venezuela are the best option based on all my research.P.S.

P.S. I see people who used Medical Tourism and Mexico Bariatric Center both had drivers use Victor. Is he affiliated with both?? I'o thirting to think all these companies are 1-3 person Agents who get company names to sound like big busiensses. Everyone knows eachother type of thing...

Thank you for posting this you have No idea how much of a relief it was to have an exact idea how everything will go. I have my surgery scheduled with them on January 23rd have been speaking to Christie she is great. I original was going to schedule it with Dr. Almanza but had a change of heart after some negative reviews. Plus I wasn't to happy about being released the next day and staying at a hotel near by and being shuttled back and forth for iv treatments and tests. I rather stay at the hospital till everything is checked and cleared before being released.

Jenny, I left Dr on Almanza for Mexico Bariatric Center too. Christy is so nice & prompt! Tell her Latasha said Hi! I left Medical Tourism to go with Christy's company & feel much better.

I just spoke with Christy again today and sent my deposit. She's super helpful but not at all overbearing or pushy.

Bigepc and peppe, can't wait to read your recap of you experiences.

relaxing in the hotel and getting ready for tomorrow morning. met peppy234 today on our ride into tj. Victor is really nice and has alot of info during the drive. thats it for now, l'll post more tomorrow or the next day.

Hello everyone,

Im new here, I will have surgery with Dr. Cabrera on 2/7/13, I'm so nervious, excited. I'm going to TJ alone. Any advices? Will love to know if anyone is going the same day. Thanks.

Hello everyone' date='

Im new here, I will have surgery with Dr. Cabrera on 2/7/13, I'm so nervious, excited. I'm going to TJ alone. Any advices? Will love to know if anyone is going the same day. Thanks.[/quote']

Hey! I'm getting sleeved 2/6 through Mexico Bariatric Center. I'll see you at Mi Doctor on 2/7, but I'll be at hotel 2/8. I'd love to link up & see how your doing!

Scheduled for March 7th! I'm so excited!