Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are protein shakes PRE-OP harmful or helpful?

For the past few weeks I had been substituting meals with Protein Shakes. I thought this was something that needed to be implemented before surgery so that it would make it easier getting in enough Protein after surgery. However, my surgeon told me that protein shakes should only be used after surgery because adding protein pre-op could cause weight gain. However, I have lost 16 lbs while supplementing protein. Did anyone drink protein shakes to help with their pre-op weight loss, or should I avoid these for now?

I had to do 2 weeks before surgery of Protein Drinks, and Yes I started earlier. My doctor did not have any problems with me using Protein for a meal. I decided after surgery that I wished I had only done 2 weeks because you need the protein drinks so long after words and with out meat, Seem to make it so long and you get so sick of protein drinks.

I'm on two shakes a day plus a non-starchy lean meal for 3 months. You can gain weight from the shakes if you're just adding them as extra food. but if you're substituting and using low calorie powder mixed with skim milk/water I don't understand his concern. My shakes are 200 calories and 30 grams of Protein that's waaaay less calories than my meals that they are replacing.

For the past few weeks I had been substituting meals with Protein Shakes. I thought this was something that needed to be implemented before surgery so that it would make it easier getting in enough Protein after surgery. However, my surgeon told me that protein shakes should only be used after surgery because adding protein pre-op could cause weight gain. However, I have lost 16 lbs while supplementing protein. Did anyone drink protein shakes to help with their pre-op weight loss, or should I avoid these for now?

i would only substitue only one meal with protein and just make the others sensible....

My surgeon has me on a 2 week pre op diet of 3 Protein Shakes a day, plus one low carb low fat meal, plus a snack like fruit. Shows you how different all surgeons are.

I would also be cautious of the brand of Protein. Some are meant to used as a weight gain add. Make sure you stick to whey isolate and as said above use it as a Meal Replacement. As long as you are doing that I don't understand why your doctor would have a problem with it. You're doing great! 16lbs is awesome!

My doctor told me to eat an Atkins diet for the 2 weeks prior to surgery. It helps to shrink the liver which is important because it is on top of the stomach. I have been having a shake when I feel like it to experiment with them. Doctor's office recommends nectar brand mixed with 8oz. unsweetened soy or almond milk(1-2 carbs). Today I bought some sugar free Torani coffee syrups and mixed up a vanilla shake with salted caramel flavoring. It was yummy!

My pre-op diet is 3-4 Protein Shakes and 1 lean meal, not to exceed 400 calories. Any Clear Liquids as well. My total pre-op diet can't go over 1000 calories a day.

I just had mu surgery 12/28, losy 17 lbs on Protein Shakes. It was prescribed as liver diet, to shrink the liver. It allowed my surgeon to do a single incision approach. He stated my liver was small an dthere was plenty of room.

It is important that you use bariatric approved shake, low low sugar, high Protein, and Vitamin enhanced, a meal replacement. If you drink other shakes you may not truly shrink liver, and you could gain weight if calories too high.

I appreciated the shakes as it helped me set up some behaviors also

I just had mu surgery 12/28' date=' losy 17 lbs on Protein shakes. It was prescribed as liver diet, to shrink the liver. It allowed my surgeon to do a single incision approach. He stated my liver was small an dthere was plenty of room.

It is important that you use bariatric approved shake, low low sugar, high Protein, and Vitamin enhanced, a Meal Replacement. If you drink other shakes you may not truly shrink liver, and you could gain weight if calories too high.

I appreciated the shakes as it helped me set up some behaviors also[/quote']

Same here. A "special" Protein powder from the doctor. 4 a day which is roughly 800. I dropped 20 lbs since the diet started on 1/31. Surgery is scheduled for 2/14.

As a nurse I can tell you Protein is VERY IMPORTANT to heal after surgery. I don't see why he would discourage you drinking it!?!