Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcohol Abuse

still having 4 guiness at least every other day and sometimes a few shots. stuck in a head battle but im hoping its just a phase. its adding about 600 calories i dont need. no gaining on the weight side but im really tired of the same food. Breakfast (yogurt or hardboiled eggs) lunch (tuna or lunchmeat wrapped in cheese) dinner ( roast with steam veggie, or any light meat. any breakfast or lunch ideas?

For Breakfast make a one egg omelet, with some cheese, and ham or ground turkey. For lunch I'm liking canned chicken (like tuna) with a little fat free mayo, mustard and salt and pepper. For dinner, well I'm cooking for hubby and kids so typically i just cook a little of the meat I'm cooking just plain for me

still having 4 guiness at least every other day and sometimes a few shots. stuck in a head battle but im hoping its just a phase. its adding about 600 calories i dont need. no gaining on the weight side but im really tired of the same food. breakfast (yogurt or hardboiled eggs) lunch (tuna or lunchmeat wrapped in cheese) dinner ( roast with steam veggie' date=' or any light meat. any breakfast or lunch ideas?[/quote']

Be careful w the drinking I have a friend who has a frien who had weightloss surgery I don't kno w kind but she drinks possibly a lot and she went to the hospital w liver problems and they told she can try dialysis and if that don't work go home on hospice I don't kno but I'm assuming that when she drinks its not filter so it goes to the liver like that I don't kno but it made me think about this and it's very sad

I'm sorry I couldn't give u lunch ideas I'm not sleeve until jan 21

thanks for the tips, seems everyday that goes by i get more and more fed up with my drinking. going to try and go this weekend without drinking. as far as your comment about your friend she must have been a bybass because our pyloric valve doesnt allow alcohol to pass any sooner.

Drinking will pack on the pounds.

For lunch. I love Wendy's chili. Also if you want to try and spice up your eggs try adding salsa to them. This food regime can be somewhat relative during the weight loss phase. Best if luck to you.

thanks for the ideas. failed this weekend on drinking. i drank a gallon of ale, half a bottle of wine and two shots of whisky sunday :-( just got off work and gonna try an aa meeting for the first time in my life. i feel pretty pathetic. has it really come to this?

Going to AA isn't pathetic! You will meet other people going through the same thing. It helps to have others that can relate. It is also a great place to make friends and learn to do different social activities that don't include numbing yourself with alcohol. It's a long road, but it looks like your trying to travel it now which is good :)

Hang in there life can be good even after having a lot of bad thrown your way...

Scotty I think AA is a good idea. Apparently drinking can become an issue post op for some people. My friend had a gastric bypass and never addressed his addiction issues, as he was sober for 7 years prior to surgery, so he became addicted to shopping and shopped his way into bankruptcy. He started to eat poorly again. Luckily he noticed this pattern, and he has addressed it.

You have taken the first step, you know there is a problem. Is there anyway you can preoccupy yourself with so something good? Exercise perhaps. Please keep fighting the good fight. You can do this!! Please keep us updated.

Scotty, bro, you need help.

Alcoholism is not uncommon after WLS, many of us are food addicts, and when we can't medicate with food some of us tur to alchohol.

In your case, you had this problem before WLS, so the reality is you are compounding one addiction on top of another.

I know AA doesn't sound like the most appealing thing, but you need some friends that do not drink a sponsor would be a great help too. Someone that understands where you are at & will take your call at anytime.

I'd really hate to see you go through all this to get your life back just to throw it all away. Thats not even mentioning how your drinking affects the people you love. Do yourself a favor get the help you need. We can encourage you and offer advice on weight loss side, but, you really need someone who understands where you are with the alchohol.

Best wishes.

Bro I am in the same boat! Since I was 16 I drank regularly. But joined the army and since 1996 I Damb near drank every day.

I was sleeved 7-9-12 I've lost 93 lbs so far. That's all fine but I really wish I could stop drinking. Saying that while having a seven and diet!

I need help its a battle shoot me a message if ya have any idea how I can and you can stop drinking.

By any means am I judging I'm just saying I want help

going to try and go this weekend without drinking.

failed this weekend on drinking. i drank a gallon of ale, half a bottle of wine and two shots of whisky sunday :-(

When I saw the first post, I thought of Yoda: "Do or do not. There is no try."

I too had resolved not to drink this past weekend. I had two reasons: 1) I gained weight from the previous week, and 2) I didn't want to waste a "day after," feeling like crap. Despite my wife irritating me by nagging about it and wanting to drink to spite her, I did not drink.

Do it this weekend. Don't try. Do it!

Best,

John

I tried starting this post fifteen different ways. None of them was perfect.

Just get to a meeting. Just one. You don't have to introduce yourself. You can stay silent the entire time. Just go, listen, absorb, watch. Just one meeting. That's all I'm asking. ONE. Please. There are tens of millions of people who have been helped by AA.

Tell me where you live and I will try to find a chapter near you. I'll send you the meeting schedule. That will be one less obstacle to overcome.

I can't stress this enough. If you want to do something about your drinking, AA is the place to start. I guarantee it. Contact me with a private message and I will be happy to share my personal struggle, and success, with you.

My name is PDXMan and I am an alcoholic.

One of the toughest phrases I ever uttered, but one that has saved my life. As has been mentioned, AA has been the program I have used to keep me sober. You may wonder, "How does AA keep me from drinking?" It doesn't. It shows you how to live life on life's terms. Once you start doing that, you see that you don't need alcohol or drugs anymore. For me, alcohol isn't my problem. I am my problem. Alcohol was my solution. Until it wasn't anymore. If it is no longer your solution, then try finding one that has worked for millions. All it takes is some willingness to make a change.

That's it.

And showing up ...

BTW, it also works for other drugs of choices, too. It's a scary thought, not having your coping mechanism around, but it just might work.