Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcohol Abuse

Just reading your story Scotty. My heart breaks for you. My grandfather was a functioning alcoholic for over 40 years. He quit drinking and smoking January of 2000 with AA. By 2004 he was facing stage 4 lung cancer and late stage cirrhosis of the liver. It was too late for him. I will never forget my last conversation with him a week before he passed. He told me, "the drink and smoke may have killed me, but G-d dammit, I quit. And no one will ever take that away from me."

You started this thread saying that you needed fear. You are burning your stomach from the inside out. You are at serious risk for internal bleeding and stomach cancer if your ulcers are both left untreated and compounded with alcohol use. THIS is the fear you were looking for. Those are life altering and in a lot of cases life ENDING complications. I know this is hard, especially as a functioning alcoholic. Functioning so well keeps you from many of the immediate consequences that could come of your drinking but it keeps you from dealing with the long term consequences that are building up in your body.

Keep going to the AA meetings. Use the resources around you. The recovering addicts that are reaching out to you. Don't let your massive weight loss be your grand finale. It is not too late for you!

just a follow up to you guys: i am 6 weeks without a drink :-) . super hard but i did a chemical dependance program through kaiser. had an impatient and outpatient program. i currently go to aa and i have a sponsor. last straw was learning my bilirubin was elevated, thanks for the encouragement!

Congrats Scotty. Just keep doing what your sponsor says. Be willing to try anything.

So happy to hear this.

just a follow up to you guys: i am 6 weeks without a drink :-) . super hard but i did a chemical dependance program through kaiser. had an impatient and outpatient program. i currently go to aa and i have a sponsor. last straw was learning my bilirubin was elevated, thanks for the encouragement!

Well done! Rootin for you here also!

just a follow up to you guys: i am 6 weeks without a drink :-) . super hard but i did a chemical dependance program through kaiser. had an impatient and outpatient program. i currently go to aa and i have a sponsor. last straw was learning my bilirubin was elevated' date=' thanks for the encouragement![/quote']

Congrats! I'm so happy to hear this. Just keep stepping, one foot in front of the other. We're all here for ya brah.

Awesome Scotty! Being sober can be tough early on, I'm so glad you got support. It gets better. It really does. Hang in there.

Congratulations Scotty!

Congrats, keep up the good work!

Awesome job! We're all rooting for you to succeed, you know that, right? :-)

when you were drinking after sleeve how did you stomach feel...???

when you were drinking after sleeve how did you stomach feel...???

Are you asking the op this????

Last summer, my drinking was reaching epic and incredibly disastorous proportions, so I checked myself into a treatment facility. Now, I have an AA "homegroup" that I regularly attend--not because I'm in a state of crisis anymore or because I've "sunk so low," but instead because I really like the people there and find it to be a great place of support to talk about all kinds of things.

I suppose what I'm saying is that I go to AA meetings voluntairly because I enjoy them, not because I think there's something "wrong" with me or that I'm a "bad person" or anything like that. And sure, they help keep me sober, and I know that's important to me for many reasons.

Prior to last summer, you would have NEVER found a person less willing to have anything to do with AA than a guy like me, but now I feel bummed if I have to miss a meeting I like. This summer, I got the VSG. So I suppose for the last 2 summers I've worked on an "upgrade" of sorts.

I just realize I'm in the mens room .. Hahaha I'm lurking

That's ok pretty smile, you are welcome,lol.