Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need advice from experienced bandsters

I did great on my pre-band diet and good since the surgery. My last visit I was upgraded to mushies and find I am now constantly hungry. It starts about 2 hours after my morning shake. My stomach is growling and I start thinking about and looking for something to eat. Even high Protein Snacks (cottage cheese, yogurt) aren't holding me very long.

One afternoon I had no snack with me and succumed to trying a bite of a donut that was in the office. I discovered that I can not only tolerate eating (yes, I have to chew well) but the QUANTITY doesn't seem to be an issue. I've gained back about 4 lbs according to my home scale. It's that same little-bit-of-crazy hunger that used to herald the coming of my periods.

Experienced bandster, HELP! What's going on? Is this normal? I don't seem to have any restriction and think I've reached the end of my own discipline and willpower. Is this just a bump in the road?

I'm not due for my first fill until this coming Monday.

MarieCarmen,

Yes, this is normal. You usually lose a lot right after the surgery but as the body starts to heal it wants more. Also, you have not had a fill which will help in aiding you in restriction. My advice is to still try not to over eat but eat healthy things. At the mushy stage you can have tuna salad, egg salad, oatmeal, so these were some of the things I at that helped me thru that period. Also, I drank lots of creamy Soups. Dont forget to fill up on your Water. This is normal so dont freak out.

Ditto to what Tanya said and I would add that as my appetite increased, I discovered that with a decent blender you can make nearly any food into a mushy. I often took a small portion of whatever I was cooking (like chicken breast) for my family, added hot Water to moisten and blended it. Voila, I had Protein but in a form my band could tolerate. The more Protein you can get in, the longer it seems that hunger can be held at bay. Three suggestions...(1) blend in the vegetables that go with the other's meals, you get a better/richer flavor. (2) put the result in a cup or container that you can't see through and spoon away... and (3) I made a rule that no one in my house could comment on what my mush looked like. So no self pity.

Hope this helps,

Jo Ann

I did great on my pre-band diet and good since the surgery. My last visit I was upgraded to mushies and find I am now constantly hungry. It starts about 2 hours after my morning shake. My stomach is growling and I start thinking about and looking for something to eat. Even high Protein Snacks (cottage cheese, yogurt) aren't holding me very long.

One afternoon I had no snack with me and succumed to trying a bite of a donut that was in the office. I discovered that I can not only tolerate eating (yes, I have to chew well) but the QUANTITY doesn't seem to be an issue. I've gained back about 4 lbs according to my home scale. It's that same little-bit-of-crazy hunger that used to herald the coming of my periods.

Experienced bandster, HELP! What's going on? Is this normal? I don't seem to have any restriction and think I've reached the end of my own discipline and willpower. Is this just a bump in the road?

I'm not due for my first fill until this coming Monday.

I am having the same problems as you, so don't worry. I just came from the dr's office and he told me that this is normal. The six weeks after the surgery is for healing and if you loose weight great, but if not don't get discouraged. I also was getting really worried because I don't have too much restrictions and can practically eat whatever I want, although I try not to. I have gained about 2 lbs.

I am having problems with eating at night. During the day I am busy with school and working two jobs, but at night I often get the munchies.

My first fill isn't until 11/9/06 so I have 3 weeks to go, and I probably will gain a few more pounds, but I will not get dsicouraged.:phanvan

Okay, I'm feeling better now that I'm hearing from others. I woke up this morning bound and determined to just have a 3 shake day and so far, so good. That little donut tasting (which turned into a full donut consumption) really shook me up. Those are demons I definately want in my past.

Onward and upward, right?

When I hit the "starvin Marvin" stage, I picked a morning (when I was least hungry) that I felt strong--and went shopping. I bought all kinds of handy S/F pudding cups, as well as S/F Jello and popsicles, applesauce, fresh fruit, cheeses, anything and EVERYTHING I could think of that would be at least semi healthy and safe for my banded stage. Then when I felt the binge I had a choice of foods, and felt I could indulge without saboutaging myself. The other half of this method is to eliminate all the junk you shouldn't eat, so it is unavailable. Sounds wasteful yes...but as someone on the board here pointed out.......it can go to waste or to waist.

Good Luck!! As soon as you get filled and find restriction it will be much easier!

Kat

My friend Angela had surgery a year ago and I just had mine 3 weeks ago. I told her how hungery I was all the time and she told me it was a sign of my stomach healing. I'm already up on pretty regular, though well chewed food, and that makes the hunger a little easier to deal with. I can keep my hunger sown by eating food that is a little less liquified and trying to eat at scheduled times. I usually eat around 7:30, noonish, 4:00 and then a snack around 7:30-8:00. I can control the amount and the hunger by keeping these guidelines. Hope this helps