Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Much Can You Eat A Couple Years Out

I've read about people being able to eat a pretty fair amount in one sitting a couple years post op... Is this true? After I get to goal I would like to be able to have regular portions and maintain at around 2000 to 2500 calories a day. Also, can you actually gulp or guzzle down Water?

One guy said he can eat 2 slices of pizza, and have a diet coke but then he is very full... Would you be able to do the same? Not that it should be a regular thing, but I'm curious to know.

I'm 16 months post op. I can eat 1 normal slice of pizza and some salad for example or 6 inch from subway minus the top bread and a couple chips. Or a small burger no top bun, with pickles and about 5 fries. Sure with some soda- i dont do diet though. Yes I chug Water, and feel like my portions are healthy. I maintain my weight easily and eat 2000 calories a day. :-)

hey newbie

hmmmm - after goal you would like to have regular portions - 2,000 - 2,500 calories a day ??? ahhhh, two slices of pizza??? course not as as a regular deal, but you are curious, kindof testing the Water???

hmmm guy - you know what they say about curiousity :o

well dude - no expert here, not a dr, but.............

i am allowed to eat 2/3 cup volume of food per meal - 900-1000 calories total a day - for me its usually hovering right in the middle

I'll hopefully be at goal sooner than later

small portion sizes fills me up - my tummy tells me IF i pushed the envelope too far and ate too much

loved what my surgeon told me when i became post op - he said "eat until you're full, then stop two bites earlier!!" :)

i'm 11 months PO and have done pretty well -my "regular" portions are small amounts of food/protein - chicken, fish et al that will sustain my new, but wonderful healthy lifestyle

your new stomach - or lack of - will be 85% smaller than it is now - you'll eventually be able to eat anything - in very very small portions, little bites, chew thoroughly, take your time eating, all that good stuff - rules that go along with the sleeve - many different rules with water

don't drink 15-30 minutes before you eat - don't drink with your meals - don't drink for 45-60 minutes after you eat

you probably know all this - sorry just babbling on :mellow:

as far as the soda is concerned, diet or not - there have been "discussions" here on drinking soda - my NUT told me to always stay away from soda due to the carbonation

all NUTS are different though, another comment that will vary - straws not allowed - some NUTS say their ok, my NUT said no :(

i listen to what my NUT tells me, she hasn't steered me wrong so far :)

if she says "jump" i'll say "how high" ;) noooo, but she knows what she's talking about

gulping water - that all depends - you have to take the drinking slow at first - you don't know how you'll react to liquids post op - hopefully you won't have problems - but many people have to take small sips for awhile

as with everything else related to food/drink/vitamins / even the scale- your NUT is the one to advise/help you

i was lucky with my Water intake - my drinking was going well from a pretty early point, I started to increase the sips of water - NUT said "yeah if i was ok with gulping, no problem, gulp away" - but theres no set rule for all

we're all different - you shouldn't compare yourself to the guy next door/with his weight loss, how long it took him to lose - if he's able to gulp/guzzle or other stuff

kindof jumping around your post, heres my direct answer - works for me an others, but not all

i don't think i can or would ever want to eat 2 slices of yummy pizza and a coke - that was my past - can't go there again

someone else will hopefully chime in with a more concise answer

kindof addressed a bunch of stuff you didn't ask about - ooooops - diarrhea of the mouth acting up, - no meds for that -_-

getting punching cuz its 2:09 am - why am i up!!!! :angry:

good luck with pending surgery

speedy recover

post WLS - good luck with that too ;)

I'm 16 months post op. I can eat 1 normal slice of pizza and some salad for example or 6 inch from subway minus the top bread and a couple chips. Or a small burger no top bun' date=' with pickles and about 5 fries. Sure with some soda- i dont do diet though. Yes I chug Water, and feel like my portions are healthy. I maintain my weight easily and eat 2000 calories a day. :-)[/quote']

Thanks so much for the answer, I have always want to know this. I wanted to be able to eat normally with my friends while eating out.

I am only 2 week post-op. And I can't even drink my Protein shake well. Not enough input for now. Hopefully things will get better soon.

In terms of foods that you can relate to, at 3 years out, these are foods I can eat if I choose to. I rarely do eat fast food though.

I can eat most of a Jr Whooper.

I take off some of the bread.< /p>

I can eat most of a leg and thigh and cole slaw at KFC

I can eat a soft taco or a crunchy taco from taco bell

I can eat half a sandwich

I can eat about a 4 oz steak with some veggies

I can eat 2 pieces of thin crust pizza

Does that help?

I think that I should add though, that this is actually quite a bit more than I could eat at one year. This is probably the amounts I could eat at 2 years, and it's not changed since then.

In terms of foods that you can relate to, at 3 years out, these are foods I can eat if I choose to. I rarely do eat fast food though.

I can eat most of a Jr Whooper.

I take off some of the bread.< /p>

I can eat most of a leg and thigh and cole slaw at KFC

I can eat a soft taco or a crunchy taco from taco bell

I can eat half a sandwich

I can eat about a 4 oz steak with some veggies

I can eat 2 pieces of thin crust pizza

Does that help?

I think that I should add though, that this is actually quite a bit more than I could eat at one year. This is probably the amounts I could eat at 2 years, and it's not changed since then.

This is NOT encouraging :) LMAO! I can eat all of that now :) LOL...

Here's a typical day's food for me. I've been eating pretty much this amount everyday since my 1 year surgerversary. :-)

I'll be 2 years post op in September and have met and exceeded my initial goal, losing 15 pounds more than I thought I would, ending at a pretty happy weight. I've done so by still pretty much sticking to the "rules". I see it as a change in the way I eat, not just a change until I get to goal and then back to "normal". I have a new normal. For the most part (now I have my weak moments like everyone else), if it doesn't have a nutritional value, I usually don't eat it. I probably could eat larger portions, but I stop before I get uncomfortable. You KNOW if you've eaten to your capacity, at least I do. And it's not a pleasant feeling. What becomes easier and more of a danger that I have to to watch out for is grazing. It's much easier after you are fully healed to graze or snack all day. Those small things here and there add up.

As for calories, I still use MFP daily and I usually do not go over 1,000 calories. I am usually closer to 800. Plus the Water. Water definitely helps curb the appetite too. If you're drinking 100 oz of water a day you don't have room (or the desire) for 2 pieces of pizza and a soda.

I am only 6 months out but I would think that if people are eating 2 pieces of pizza and pop not matter what kind they are stretching their sleeve out and soon will be back to their sames ways. This is suppose to be life changing.