Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bi-Polar Meds - The skinny and the fat

One thing thats funny is even tho I take the Topomax I still get migrains (not alot but some here and there), I take 200 MG a day.I have to add that I have been on Topomax for a few years and I think if you can stand the dumb feeling after a while it goes away, humm. Or maybe your just so dumb you dont notice anymore hahaha j/k

Gummiebear, Im not sure how often you get Migraines, But I do still get migraines on topamax but I went from getting them 3-4 times a week (4-6 in the summer) to 1-2 a month . So it significantly improved them . For migraines the topamax is used as a preventative. Its interesting that I have now found out its used as a mood stabalizer. I recently told a friend fo mine " I didnt realize HOW Bad i have felt for so many yrs until I started feeling " Normal" by not having so many migraines" I thought that simply not having so many migraines was making me feel better. So maybe the topamax itself was making me feel "Normal"LOL.

Im on 100mg a day and its encouraging to know that the dopey feeling goes away eventually . I am kind of use to it now ,others that are around me are use to it, Its something i found that i have to warn others about . I say things sometimes that dont make sense. I have to call someone as SOON as i think about something or i'll forget. ( that drives my husband NUTS when I call him 100 times aday but he's use to it now )LOL.

But Like I said before , Im willing to deal with that as apposed to having a Migraine almost everyday .

Mindy

I have suffered on and off from depression and anxiety. Over the years I have tried every med. I TOTALLY agree about the withdrawls! So sorry to hear about that.

For me, and only for me, I have finally found a combo that works. I take Lexapro and ocassionally Zanax. Do they make it harder for me to loose weight????? I think YES.

P.S Not that anyone asked but, as a very sexual person, I find it almost unbearable that it takes an act of congress for me to have an orgasim on these meds. Now there is a side effect my doctor never mentioned.:phanvan

I lost weight on Wellbutrin only. All others, caused gains. I don't know more and wish I could be more help but please keep us all posted. This is a very good post.

P.S Not that anyone asked but, as a very sexual person, I find it almost unbearable that it takes an act of congress for me to have an orgasim on these meds. Now there is a side effect my doctor never mentioned.:phanvan

Funny you mention that. Since I have PCOS my husband and I had to have sex basically every day for 5 months ( I was VERY lucky i got pregnant that fast with PCOS) in order for me to get pregnant. During that time I wouldnt say I had a "Sex drive' But i had a "Mission" to get pregnant so I wanted to have sex. I have never really been one to want or initiate sex.

My marriage suffered a GREAT deal because after I had my son my husbnad and i basically had no sex life. I slept on the couch for 4 yrs. We had sex MAYBE once every 6 months. ( People are AMAZED He never cheated on me ) As SOON as I got on wellbutrin ( For Migraines as well as some anxiety issues) BAM I had a sex drive. Now 1-2 times a week and my hubby is happy as a clam . Im still not sure if THAT IS normal or "enough" But after what we went through my husband is MORE Than satisfied. OH and i have no problems with O"s actaully now that i think about it I usually have Several lol . My lack of sex drive i firmly belive is related to my PCOS and my wt of course.

Mindy

I loved Effexor, but it caused sexual side effects that hurt my DH. I was taken off of Effexor and put on Cymbalta.

My sister is Bi-Polar, and he has found success with Cymbalta as well. That is the main reason I requested it. A side effect of Cymbalta is weight LOSS, so that is good, and I have noticed a heck of a difference in my back pain... as in it is no longer a problem. My MIL says I either don't have it any more, or don't care that it is there. :confused: It has also helped with the sexual side effects, (TMI: I can climax again and become aroused).

Good luck!

:help: Hi Everyone......

I am so glad I found this post. I havent been here in some time, but eveytime, I have a problem, and need help...I know where to run.

I have been on meds for many years for depression. I have been on wellbutrin for about 10 days....I am dizzy, light headed, and nauseas as hell.

I stopped taking it 2 days ago, because I feel so bad. I called my shrink, and as of today he hasnt called me back.

I dont know what to do. I have an appointment with him on Thursday, and I am sure he will gladly put me on something else as he charges my insurance 150.00 .

I was on lexapro for 24 weeks before this.....That didnt do a thing for me, I still cried all the time.

I am dealing with a sick mother, as well as I just started a new job last week.

Can anyone tell me, if the wellbutrin did this to them, and should I keep taking it, or get off it.

I am a mental case without meds......I boo hoo over everything....shall I add menpause, and hot flashes arent helping either.

Thanks for any input.

Huggggs

:help: Hi Everyone......

I am so glad I found this post. I havent been here in some time, but eveytime, I have a problem, and need help...I know where to run.

I have been on meds for many years for depression. I have been on wellbutrin for about 10 days....I am dizzy, light headed, and nauseas as hell.

I stopped taking it 2 days ago, because I feel so bad. I called my shrink, and as of today he hasnt called me back.

I dont know what to do. I have an appointment with him on Thursday, and I am sure he will gladly put me on something else as he charges my insurance 150.00 .

I

If I were you I would not stop taking the wellbutrin cold turkey. Even though you have only been on it for 10 days you will probably be ok .

But its never a good idea to stop taking any antidepressant cold turkey.

If you having problems with your meds and your doc wont call you back SWITCH DOCS. That's BS . Are you taking your wellbutrin at night or in the morning ? if its in the morning try taking it at night .

HTH

Mindy

ALL OF MY WEIGHT GAIN over the last 10 years started rapidly from the date I started meds. I never really connected the two, but this seems to be VERY common.

I can relate to your situation First let me say all of my weight gain was from my Paxil I was on for 1.5 yrs and gained 70 lbs.

Withdrawls were HELL for me getting off Paxil
Me too!

The anti depressants will slow down your metabolic rate is what I was told by my PCP to almost zero, the meds are used for depression but after time for me I was more depressed from my weight gain then from what I was being treatedfor so I quit.

Secondly, my son who is 19 is Bi-Polar he was also on the lithium whicvh made him a zombie, no motivation and all he did was sleep, then he went to depakote and his blood pressurewas so high the doctor was in fear he would have a stroke, so he quit taking that, then the prozac which did not do much so he is now smoking marijuana, he has one of those cards from his doctor where he can gfet it legally, it has been the only thing that has worked for him. No bi-polar episodes but every now and then he has panic attacks so takes an occassional xanax.

Every person that I know personally who has taken any kind of anti-depressant has had weight gain, you may find that just getting off of the anti depressante will be enough and wil lstill be able to take your bi-polar meds my son never had weight gain taking his bi-polar meds if anything he lost weight.

Have you ever tried lexapro, that is an anti depressant that my husband takes and has had no weight gain it works well for him, my doctor told me it has the least chance of weight gain..but everyone is different.

Thanks! No, I haven't tried Celexa or Lemectal...I'm really interested in Abilify and possibly Paxil or Wellbutrin together. I've got to get off this Effexor first. DO NOT EVER GET ON THIS MEDICATION, IT IS HELL GETTING OFF!!!

I took Topamax for 6 mo's and felt "dumbed down" the entire time. I couldn't think well, I couldn't remember, horrible! Didn't lose any weight but didn't gain any then either...

Hi there, just jumping in here...

If you are worried about withdrawal, don't take Paxil. It is horrendous for withdrawal. Google the name and you'll probably find a lot of lawyer's websites about paxil lawsuits...

Good luck :thumbup: