Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Complications

I went to have my first fill with DR Nottle.

When I was called in the room it wasn't DrNottle but some other Technician I have never seen..he tried to fill it but couldn't find the port. He told me that the first time was always the hardest and it would get better in time. After 5 trys and alot of pain later he gave up and called dR Nottle in telling him he couldn't put the needle into the port. Then DrNottle tried and after about 10 try's and swapping a big needle to an ever bigger one he had no luck!! He told me that this happens and that he would need to do it via xray.

I went to get it done with the xray and he still had no luck. He was baffled and told me this was very rare and that they almost always have luck with the xray. I had heaps of questions and by the time the nurse bandaged me up he was gone!! He quickly spoke to my fiancee saying that he would get his receptionist to arrange for me to see him as he is going to have to cut me open and see what is wrong.

I am so scared..I don't know what is going on, I feel like I am left high and dry with no answers.

His receoptionst didn't get back to me so we had to chase them up..When we finally got through she told me that it could be a faulty band and that we had to spend a further $1100 to get it fixed and god knows how much if it is really a faulty band!! We already paid over 12k and there are still more bills coming from the hospital, anethisist!!

I just can't believe this..I didn't think that I would have to go through all this stress!! It's even more stressfull when your own doctor won't tell you what is going on, we had to find out through his receptionist!!

Sorry for rambling on..I just needed to vent!!

Aw Mary, I am so sorry to hear of your troubles! That really sucks and why should you pay if the band is faulty?? I am guessing your in the US, which is very different to the UK health service, but that still sounds wrong!

I hope you get it sorted out and you will finally get the benefit of your surgery.

Kind regards

Suzannex

hi mary that is terible you have to go through all that, i can't believe you have to pay anthing i would have thought either the doctor's ins or the band makers would be liable you shouldn't be out of pocket check with someone or maybe someone on here knows

Hi, this is just awful! What a stress for you. If they have to replace it surely you won't have to pay extra?!. Sorry to hear this. I believe you are in Australia actually though, and not the US. The doc's name sounds familiar. Susannah

Thanks Guys...and Yes I'm from Melb Australia.

I am going to see DrNottle on the 23rd of this month and hopefully I will get some answers then.

Sorry you had such bad luck Mary, I'm with jenny - you shouldn't have to pay more to fix the doctor's mistake. Sounds like you port may have flipped over, and need restitching. Hope it is sorted soon.

I am so sorry that you are going thru all this. I agree that if you were given a "lemon" that the doc should cover the cost.

I do wonder if the port flipped. I've heard that even with fluro, you can't tell if it's upside down as the image looks the same. Let us know what happens.

Terry :confused:

That is really scary! sorry this happened to you.

I don't understand how it could be the band if it is the port that he can't find. Maybe you can get in sooner to see him. Whe I had my problem my dr saw me 2 days later to discuss what was going on. Call them and tell them that thye owe it to you to see him sooner.

Good luck.

I'm sorry your going through this and hope you can get it resolved quickly without too much expense. Have you signed up for private health insurance? If not probably a good time to as if anything goes wrong in the future which is likely (inside 5-20 years) that you'll have to meet that full cost also.

I think this is why most surgeons wont touch 'self pay' in victoria. If anything goes wrong the patient is up for the $$$ as there is no health insurance to cover it. A week in intensive care could send you broke if anythign went wrong during the original lap band surgery. The doc probably isn't charging anything for his services, it's the anestesia, hospital etc. that your usually paying for (same as if anything goes wrong with plastic/cosmetic surgery.... the surgeons don't charge for their services but you still have to pay everybody else which gets expensive).

If the band is faulty you'll need to submit all your costs to inamed/allergen as they will have to cover a certian amount. Maybe call them to confirm this first? There is a lifetime warranty with the band, how much it covers though for surgery i'm unsure.

Good luck & I hope things start looking up for you soon!

I have called his office so many times this week but they keep on giving me the run around..I don't have a choice I have to wait until Monday to see him. I never knew this was going to be so frusterating!!

Hi Marijana,

I can understand your frustrations.. What a horrible thing to happen.. I to am under Dr Nottle and it took him about 6 tries before he was able to get mine in.. He is a fantastic Dr but I think he takes on more than he can handle.. Loooonnnggg waits ..

I hope it doesn't turn out to be anything to bad :) ..I can't believe that you may have to bare the cost's.. If this has all happend because of a faulty band I don't see how they can expect you to pay for it all over again that really sucks ass.. You are not at fault you shouldn't have to pay for it...

I really hope everything works out for you..

I went to have my first fill with DR Nottle.

When I was called in the room it wasn't DrNottle but some other Technician I have never seen..he tried to fill it but couldn't find the port. He told me that the first time was always the hardest and it would get better in time. After 5 trys and alot of pain later he gave up and called dR Nottle in telling him he couldn't put the needle into the port. Then DrNottle tried and after about 10 try's and swapping a big needle to an ever bigger one he had no luck!! He told me that this happens and that he would need to do it via xray.

I went to get it done with the xray and he still had no luck. He was baffled and told me this was very rare and that they almost always have luck with the xray. I had heaps of questions and by the time the nurse bandaged me up he was gone!! He quickly spoke to my fiancee saying that he would get his receptionist to arrange for me to see him as he is going to have to cut me open and see what is wrong.

I am so scared..I don't know what is going on, I feel like I am left high and dry with no answers.

His receoptionst didn't get back to me so we had to chase them up..When we finally got through she told me that it could be a faulty band and that we had to spend a further $1100 to get it fixed and god knows how much if it is really a faulty band!! We already paid over 12k and there are still more bills coming from the hospital, anethisist!!

I just can't believe this..I didn't think that I would have to go through all this stress!! It's even more stressfull when your own doctor won't tell you what is going on, we had to find out through his receptionist!!

Sorry for rambling on..I just needed to vent!!

Im so terribly sorry to hear what you are going through. I am with peter as well and on my first fill he did it, but on my second i had his assistant a guy at williamstown, i dont even know his name.

If the band is faulty, do not pay a cent, thats not your fault its actually inameds if its that band. You should NOT have to pay any money whet so ever. If he still insists for you to pay money, tell him you will check with inamed about it.He will only be saying this so he can get more cash.

He is way to busy and has to many patients , so i think this is why he is getting his assistant to do the fills but thats it. Also the assistant bulk bills.

He has opened another surgery in werribee to , and i was told im not allowed to go there for my fills, that i have to go to his ass in williamstown, beacuse he is to busy with his lapband patients.

I have rang the rooms myself numerous times with concerns, and no-one ever gets back to me, you just have to keep on there case. Its not good how u have to hear it from the receptionist and not him, he should have the courtsey to phone you, geez it will take him a minute:confused:.

I really hope it all works out for you and please whatever happens do not give them a cent....BEST OF lUCK

Hi Fee,

Are you from Werribee? Because Dr Nottle will be doing my op next Wedneday and maybe with both of us we can get him to do the fills in Werribee.

Take care

Chris

yeah im from wbee:)

goodluck with your op...where u getting done at?

the fills sound like a great idea too:)

let me know

Hi Fee,

Werribee Hosptial...25 October,at least i might be able to eat for christmas...i am cooking christmas tea.If you ever want to talk i can give you my mumber or email if you like.