Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think I would of had the bypass if I did it all over again. The reason is that I crave carbs and fatty foods so can eat a ton of them with the sleeve. I only feel full if I eat meat.< /p>

I think I would of had the bypass if I did it all over again. The reason is that I crave carbs and fatty foods so can eat a ton of them with the sleeve. I only feel full if I eat meat.

I here ya Moonsiren - I, like most folks round here loooove carbs and always overeat them - My NUT and Dr. recommend Protein first, then veg, then fruit - the processed carbs arent even included in that food plan so I try and not eat them, certainly as I am still deep into my losing phase. When I start to move towards more slidery foods or not enough Protein (ala I could live on one 2 pump vanilla latte and a greek yogurt a day - maybe throw in a cheese stick lol) I need to crack the whip and get back to measuring dense protein - ala baked chicken and turkey breast or hard boiled eggs (which feels very dense and filling to me still almost 9 month out).

My sister in law had a RNY 3 years ago and is down 150 lbs and has done great! She was the inspiration for my husband and I to have our own surgeries. I was initially set on a RNY as well and then found out my insurance covers the sleeve so that was what our surgeon suggested for us. I believe that what we do with our head and to inprove our health and lifestyle after surgery is where the rubber meets the road with any of the procedures. I've changed a lot - quit a 28 year 1-2 pack a day smoking habit that I never though I would be able to kick (26 months smoke free now - used Wellbutrin and nicotine patches).

It is still hard to do planned exercise for me - I do better with moving around where I am accomplishing something else as well - like gardening, vigorous housework etc. I will always be working on this one.

I am not sure why one would need your old stomach back either but I dont know much about it - I had heard that it is a plus of the sleeve that the 'blind stomach' is removed so that it cannot develop ulcers, cancers, etc - and the ghrelin producing area goes with it. I have heard that our restriction lasts longer than RNY - my sis seems to still eat tiny bits though. And folks with the bypass have restiction and in addition they malabsorb Vitamins and nutrients forever right? And the restriction eases up a bit for all of us after time I think - though never to the extent or volume capacity of our original stomachs.

I am glad to still have my stoma - I was afraid of having the bowel rearrangment with a bypass. if I ever struggle again I would jump on that table again in a heartbeat for it if I have to though lol.

So far so good - I think I am statistically on track and on time to hit my healthy BMI goal - it would be wonderful to do that by the end of the year. We shall see :)

I am very happy with my weight loss with the sleeve. I had a friend that is five years out from the bypass. She lost weight good but did hv a lot of malabsorbtion problems, B12 deficiency, and some gastrenology issues. Due to the issues with bypass my personal opinion old be the sleeve obviously it wld be since that is what i had done

I think that success of any procedure is based on lifestyle change. The advantage to the sleeve is that the ghrelin producing part of the stomach is removed. I am honestly never hungry and have to plan how to get my Protein in.

The other advantage is that the pylorus is left intact. This is the valve that empties food from the stomach into the small intestine. With bypass, your new stomach pouch is attached further down the intestines. There is no true valve anymore and people can learn to eat enough that it fills their stomach pouch and pushes down into the intestines without resistance. The sleevers pylorus makes it much harder to overfill - we are more likely to regurgitate.

I think that success of any procedure is based on lifestyle change. The advantage to the sleeve is that the ghrelin producing part of the stomach is removed. I am honestly never hungry and have to plan how to get my Protein in.

The other advantage is that the pylorus is left intact. This is the valve that empties food from the stomach into the small intestine. With bypass, your new stomach pouch is attached further down the intestines. There is no true valve anymore and people can learn to eat enough that it fills their stomach pouch and pushes down into the intestines without resistance. The sleevers pylorus makes it much harder to overfill - we are more likely to regurgitate.

One More reason to have the sleeve. Once you have the bypass you can never take ibuprofen or any medication at that type, no steroids. when you're young you think you're invincible but if you get older and have arthritis or any kind of inflammatory disease you will wish you could take an ibuprofen! I have an autoimmune disease. My Rheumatologist would not approve the bypass but he would approve to sleeve.

Like I will never want ice cream again and I'm totally ok with that.

Me either! I think that is just CRAZY! I LOVED ice cream in the past. It doesn't make me sick or anything, I just NEVER want it anymore...