Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do any of you longterm sleevers ever wish you had the bypass instead of the sleeve? And if you do for what reasons? I have researched both and know the pros and cons for both. I have always felt confident that the sleeve is for me however every once in a while I think with the bypass I would lose faster or more importantly lose more of my excess weight. Faster is not the end all be all to be but the thought a better percentage of weight loss sticks in my mind. I still feel the sleeve is for me but wanted to hear everyone's thoughts.

I am still rather new but thought i would chime in since I also researched this..... my research of the two showed you would only loose overall10% more weight with the bypass , in the big skeme of things that is not much weight depending on what you started with. I started at300 so that is 30 lbs more I would loose iwth a bypass. not worth all the side effects... my sister got the by pass and she is two weeks ahead of me so far we are loosing wieght at the same pace..... i keep thinking she is gonna pass me by but has not yet.... so happy I did the sleeve and dont have her issues....

again just my thoughts

I am almost 2 months out 63 lbs down... she is 2.5 months out and down 75

my research showed you would only loose 10% more weight with the bypass

READYTOLOSEIT

you are not gonna find many objective opinions on the sleeve board ;)

very happy with my sleeve - best decision every made :)

i have heard that people loose faster with the gastric bypass - not sure if thats true for all, but..there are more physical problems, intestines, malabsorption problems et al with the bypass

lisa2job - never heard that you will loose 10% MORE with the bypass??? :mellow:

READYTOLOSEIT - don't second guess yourself - go with your instict

you look like a smart person - go with the sleeve!!!!! :)

I am still rather new but thought i would chime in since I also researched this..... my research of the two showed you would only loose overall10% more weight with the bypass ' date=' in the big skeme of things that is not much weight depending on what you started with. I started at300 so that is 30 lbs more I would loose iwth a bypass. not worth all the side effects... my sister got the by pass and she is two weeks ahead of me so far we are loosing wieght at the same pace..... i keep thinking she is gonna pass me by but has not yet.... so happy I did the sleeve and dont have her issues....

again just my thoughts

I am almost 2 months out 63 lbs down... she is 2.5 months out and down 75[/quote']

That's for your thoughts! 63 lbs in 2 months!! You are doing great what an inspiration!!

READYTOLOSEIT

you are not gonna find many objective opinions on the sleeve board ;)

very happy with my sleeve - best decision every made :)

i have heard that people loose faster with the gastric bypass - not sure if thats true for all' date=' but..there are more physical problems, intestines, malabsorption problems et al with the bypass

lisa2job - never heard that you will loose 10% MORE with the bypass??? :mellow:

READYTOLOSEIT - don't second guess yourself - go with your instict

you look like a smart person - go with the sleeve!!!!! :) [/quote']

Thanks proudgrammy! I can't wait to start on this wild journey. I felt in my heart this was the right thing for my in my first appointment.

I have been struggling with what surgery to have myself and been trying to do a lot of research about both. They thing that worries me about the sleeve is what if something goes wrong down the line and i need that extra stomach that was removed and what about long term success/complications, there is not a lot of data on that out there. But then i read about all these complications with the bypass and i think that overall the sleeve is the direction i am leaning towards.

I'm only 3 months out, down 74 lbs., besides the weight loss and restriction in eating, I'd swear I never had the surgery! That's how little "side effects" I've had. I'm not sure there would be any reason you would need the extra stomach back?...all that extra did was hold more food so we could stuff ourselves! :). My decision for the sleeve was because it did not "re-route" the digestion process which I believe is why we sleevers typically recover well and quickly. But of course there can be risk an complications with any surgery. Best of luck!

Just wanted to chime in here! Bypass patients "typically" lose faster and a bit more excess weight. If you have 100 lbs to lose, they might lose 10 lbs more than you. I agree that it's not worth the side effects. If you have more than 250-300 lbs to lose then my suggestion would be to get the duodenal switch over the gastric bypass. It's the "sleeve" plus some malabsorption that actually FOREVER malabsorbs calories unlike the bypass that only malabsorbs calories a couple of years. However, the duodenal switch is high maintenance and you have to take a lot of Vitamins and get to the doctor probably at least every 3-6 months to make sure your Vitamins are in place.

However, there is one guy, who lost 350 lbs with just the sleeve alone. So people who are super super morbidly obese can actually get to a healthy BMI with some serious commitment even with the sleeve.

Great comments on here. I've also read that if people need instant feedback and a tighter 'control' to lose weight then the bypass is better because if you eat the wrong things or too much you get violently sick. Some people do get sick when they overeat with the sleeve, but it's not as drastic as it is with the bypass.

Also, I've read a study that says if you get esophagus cancer or ulcers and you have the sleeve, then recovery is harder. With severe ulcers, the treatment IS the sleeve, so one needs to be careful not to abuse your new tummy. I don't really remember the details on esophagus cancer bcs it was a 'what if' scenario. And my real medical issues topped any 'what if's.'.

Good luck!!

I'm only 3 months out' date=' down 74 lbs., besides the weight loss and restriction in eating, I'd swear I never had the surgery! That's how little "side effects" I've had. I'm not sure there would be any reason you would need the extra stomach back?...all that extra did was hold more food so we could stuff ourselves! :). My decision for the sleeve was because it did not "re-route" the digestion process which I believe is why we sleevers typically recover well and quickly. But of course there can be risk an complications with any surgery. Best of luck![/quote']

We are very similar...sometimes I joke that my surgeon didn't do anything! LOL. I'm not gonna lie, sometimes I kind of wish the sleeve did more of the work for me as far as foods I don't need to be eating (I have only had one random food not agree with me).

But, I have a family member that had the RNY years ago, got his pouch redone again in the last couple of years and he still struggles big time with his weight. When I saw him for Thanksgiving, it made me really sad for him (and baffled by the amount of food he was able to eat!). Two surgeries and still gaining and losing the same 100lbs because the mental stuff hasn't been done. Doesn't matter which surgery you do...if you don't change your relationship with food and make a long term commitment.

Do any of you longterm sleevers ever wish you had the bypass instead of the sleeve? And if you do for what reasons? I have researched both and know the pros and cons for both. I have always felt confident that the sleeve is for me however every once in a while I think with the bypass I would lose faster or more importantly lose more of my excess weight. Faster is not the end all be all to be but the thought a better percentage of weight loss sticks in my mind. I still feel the sleeve is for me but wanted to hear everyone's thoughts.

I didn't want anything 're-routed' and I liked the sleeve because they permanently remove approx. 85% of your tummy. Portion Control is what I needed.....and this is forced portion control. It also removed all or most of the hunger hormone, at 2 yrs, 7 months out, I'm still not hungry, ever. I have what I call my 'new hunger'. It's more of an empty feeling. I can ignore it, but it lets me know that I should probably put something there at some point!! I knew NOBODY who'd had the sleeve, now I know many, many....but back then, I initially thought I'd get banded, but quickly changed my mind. I know a couple of people who've had bands and quite a few who had by-pass. The ones who got lap bands were not successful, neither reached their goal and both have re-gained most of their weight. With the by pass, I know a few that are considering getting the 'rose' surgery. I think that is what it's called....they go in and tighten things up again.....but I think they routinely make poor decisions. Alcohol seems to be the culprit. Never the less.....the sleeve seemed perfect for me, and I've never had a moment of buyer's remorse!!

Some would say I'm a little 'obsessive' (WHAT???), some would say I'm a little high strung....whatever! I was self pay, so I didn't have to jump through hoops to get approved. I could have made the decision, done a seminar and had it all over and done with in six weeks or less, I suspect. I made the decison to have A WLS in Dec 2009. First I thought I'd get a lapband......but I started reading, trolling these forums, for all three surgeries, I asked question, upon question!!! I finally chose a doctor in Texas, since that is where we are from and knew we'd move back...besides, it's hard to beat healthcare in Dallas or Houston. I was living in WI and my PCP said, find a center of excellence doctor, and I did. I decided on the sleeve and flew to Dallas for the seminar in April of 2010. Still I could have scheduled it and gotten in within two weeks. Noooooo, I scheduled it for June 11, 2010 and spent the in between time practicing. I lost 23 lbs, so I never had to do the two week pre op diet, they just did not want a fatty liver!!! LoL I did not decide to have surgery on a whim and I didn't do it spur of the moment, I spend MONTHS learning everything I could. I'd do it again without hesitation. I love my sleeve, I call her Stella!!! ;)

Hi everyone! Im glad to hear everyone's loving their sleeve! I am sooo hapoy with mine also. I originally wrote this post just before my surgery. I am 2 months post op today and down 40lbs! I have very happy I did it and hoping the scale is going to keep on trucking!

My sister in law had a bypass more than ten years ago and she's had no issues thank God. I had a binding in 02, and had complications straight away, I had a sleeve to correct what turned out to be a.botch job of a binding. I have to say after seeing my sister in laws success if I could do it over I would've had the bypass years ago, however I am also very happy with the sleeve. No plastic, no foreign things in my body to worry about, my insides do feel very different and I learn something new all the time. Like I will never want ice cream again and I'm totally ok with that. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Yes if I could turn back time, I wish I would've had bypass first. Less complications and seemingly more successful long term for those who had it.