Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared As Hell Of Excess Skin!

I AGREE!! This would be a total splurge but next year this time if i- I'm sorry when I make my goal I am going to buy me a nice coat. I was thinking something furry!

I know that plastic surgery would be out of the question for me. It's so expensive and I couldn't afford to take the time off work.

If you have insurance, you may be able to get a panniculectomy covered by the insurance. It's a surgery that removes excess skin from the abdominal area. It's not exactly a Tummy Tuck, because tummy tucks also involve tightening the muscles underneath the skin, so the results aren't AS good as a tummy tuck, but if cost is an issue, it's definitely a decent alternative to hanging skin. It's a good idea to wait until you've been a goal for a year before you consider surgery, though. Your skin needs time to adapt to the weight loss.

I'm still pre-op, but I already know that this tool is what YOU make of it. If you exercise, you will see more results, which is true of any weight loss plan, surgery or not. You can't predict how your skin will react, so there really is no point in guessing and stressing over it. Focus on what you can control (your diet, your exercise regime, etc) and stick with it!

Good luck to you!

I AGREE!! This would be a total splurge but next year this time if i- I'm sorry when I make my goal I am going to buy me a nice coat. I was thinking something furry!

I was JUST thinking the same thing today. I can't WAIT to buy a cute winter coat. Right now I have a bulky hoodie I bought from the men's big and tall section. I hate it, but it fits, it zips and it has a hood. Clothing choices stink when you're a big lady. :(

I think that I am going to go for a 10 or a 12 too. I am only 5 foot 3 so i think that it would be a good size. I am not sure if you can see my pic next to my postings but i was a size 17/18 there but it was all in my hips and my chest. i would love to be a size 12 with the same build.

Yeah... I like a lil meat on my bones, but not this much...lol

I really relate to your posting. We're almost the same in height/age/weight and my surgery is in Dec! Hopefully we both stay "sag free"... but, like everyone's been saying, it's probably better to have loose skin than be fat! :)

If you have insurance, you may be able to get a panniculectomy covered by the insurance. It's a surgery that removes excess skin from the abdominal area. It's not exactly a Tummy Tuck, because tummy tucks also involve tightening the muscles underneath the skin, so the results aren't AS good as a tummy tuck, but if cost is an issue, it's definitely a decent alternative to hanging skin. It's a good idea to wait until you've been a goal for a year before you consider surgery, though. Your skin needs time to adapt to the weight loss.

I'm still pre-op, but I already know that this tool is what YOU make of it. If you exercise, you will see more results, which is true of any weight loss plan, surgery or not. You can't predict how your skin will react, so there really is no point in guessing and stressing over it. Focus on what you can control (your diet, your exercise regime, etc) and stick with it!

Good luck to you!

My insurance comes from my job who made sure to put in huge letters that they rarely cover panniculectomy. They claim that there has got to be a major reason and it is usually denied. I have it my head that I will probably have to get a chest lift or something like that. I like the fact that you focus on the goal at hand and that you don't focus on the maybes/

I really relate to your posting. We're almost the same in height/age/weight and my surgery is in Dec! Hopefully we both stay "sag free"... but, like everyone's been saying, it's probably better to have loose skin than be fat! :)

I agree but just in case I am going to push harder at some presurgery tightening- I figure that it cant hurt.

I think that I am going to go for a 10 or a 12 too. I am only 5 foot 3 so i think that it would be a good size. I am not sure if you can see my pic next to my postings but i was a size 17/18 there but it was all in my hips and my chest. i would love to be a size 12 with the same build.

I was a size 32 or 4x and I'm in a 16 and I'm looking for size 10/12. I'm pretty muscular, with big thighs and a booty (just my body shape). It's an amazing feeling so far!

I was a size 32 or 4x and I'm in a 16 and I'm looking for size 10/12. I'm pretty muscular' date=' with big thighs and a booty (just my body shape). It's an amazing feeling so far![/quote']

Wow! Do u have alot of excess skin? What has been your regimen and workout plan?

First of all, I looked all the posts and I want to add that it all depends on genetics and how long you have been fat. If you have been fat for a long time then your skin will be stretched to excess and won't have the ability to stretch back to normal when you lose the weight. I started at 250 and now at 178 and a size 5, no loose skin at all. However, I workout everyday and I lift wts for muscle tone. I too didn't want any sagging skin so I lift wts. like a mad woman. Good luck to you.

I agree but just in case I am going to push harder at some presurgery tightening- I figure that it cant hurt.

Oh, I'm with you... I just bought a bunch of creams and I'm planning on working out once I'm cleared. Loose skin freaks me out. To be honest, I'm afraid my husband won't be attracted to me if I have it. He hasn't been negative or anything... but, I'm still worried.

First of all' date=' I looked all the posts and I want to add that it all depends on genetics and how long you have been fat. If you have been fat for a long time then your skin will be stretched to excess and won't have the ability to stretch back to normal when you lose the weight. I started at 250 and now at 178 and a size 5, no loose skin at all. However, I workout everyday and I lift wts for muscle tone. I too didn't want any sagging skin so I lift wts. like a mad woman. Good luck to you.[/quote']

I agree... Im going to try my hardest to do the same. The sagging skin worries me, but a healthier me is definitely more important.

Skin Brushing... it tightens skin and rids you of cellulite. Coconut oil mixed with msm applied to your skin daily. Supplement w Magnesium, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Zinc, oral MSM. Good luck!

Oh honey lol. There are people that post right after surgery. Unless there are complications I've read the pain isn't that bad :)

Lol, some people post while at the hospital!

I agree... Im going to try my hardest to do the same. The sagging skin worries me, but a healthier me is definitely more important.

Skin Brushing... it tightens skin and rids you of cellulite. Coconut oil mixed with msm applied to your skin daily. Supplement w Magnesium, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Zinc, oral MSM. Good luck!