Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared As Hell Of Excess Skin!

I am having surgery on December 10th. And although I am looking forward to it I am getting more and more afraid of how I will look afterwards. I am about 5 foot 4 and I am ashamed to say that I weight almost 260 which is the highest I have ever been in my life. Just think last year I weighed 160 but after I had a baby and the weight won't come off. I lost weight before on the modified fast and I looked fine- thats when i got down to the 160 which was about 75 lbs in 6 months.Other than my chest went from a 46ddd to 36dd I didn't have saggy skin. I am just scared of how I will look after the fact. Is this stupid?

Not stupid at all. I am sure a ton of people (I definitely am) were concerned about the saggy skin for both vanity reasons and health concerns.

I am hoping since I am young and my skin is in pretty good condition, that it won't sag too bad. If it does, then I will consider plastics.

I was 5'3" and 330. I'm going to be 50. I lost a lot of weight and still have about 30-40 pounds to go and I do have some excess skin. I am working out as much as I can to tighten what I can and it's helping some.

I mentioned the unhappiness I have about the skin with my nurse and she said, would you rather have all that skin there, with a bunch of fat underneath it, or a little extra skin, without all that excess fat.

You are worrying about something that hasn't even happened yet, which detracts from your goal at hand. You are spending energy and time focusing on something negative that may end up happening in the future, when during this process you need to focus on the positive.

You are still young. I lost a lot of weight once on my own when I was in my 30's and I had no saggy skin but I did step aerobics which firmed my bottom, I lifted weights which firmed my arms and I did crunches which firmed my belly.

If you consistently work out during this process and you lose slowly but surely you will have less excess skin. You have age on your side, that's a blessing. I'm going on 50 and I can tell you, I would rather have a little lose skin, then all that excess fat and I am vain and I do care about what I look like so I do realize how you feel, it's not stupid but it's wasted worry, but let it go, focus on the here and now and getting to your goal.

Good luck to you.

Not stupid at all. I am sure a ton of people (I definitely am) were concerned about the saggy skin for both vanity reasons and health concerns.

I am hoping since I am young and my skin is in pretty good condition, that it won't sag too bad. If it does, then I will consider plastics.

I know that plastic surgery would be out of the question for me. It's so expensive and I couldn't afford to take the time off work.

I was 5'3" and 330. I'm going to be 50. I lost a lot of weight and still have about 30-40 pounds to go and I do have some excess skin. I am working out as much as I can to tighten what I can and it's helping some.

I mentioned the unhappiness I have about the skin with my nurse and she said, would you rather have all that skin there, with a bunch of fat underneath it, or a little extra skin, without all that excess fat.

You are worrying about something that hasn't even happened yet, which detracts from your goal at hand. You are spending energy and time focusing on something negative that may end up happening in the future, when during this process you need to focus on the positive.

You are still young. I lost a lot of weight once on my own when I was in my 30's and I had no saggy skin but I did step aerobics which firmed my bottom, I lifted weights which firmed my arms and I did crunches which firmed my belly.

If you consistently work out during this process and you lose slowly but surely you will have less excess skin. You have age on your side, that's a blessing. I'm going on 50 and I can tell you, I would rather have a little lose skin, then all that excess fat and I am vain and I do care about what I look like so I do realize how you feel, it's not stupid but it's wasted worry, but let it go, focus on the here and now and getting to your goal.

Good luck to you.

Thank you for the insight. I didn't look at it that way. Right now I am not happy with my weight and to top it off I work in the bariatric research department at the Cleveland clinic-talk about being a hypocrite. I think that my goal is to live a longer life byany means necessary.

I am having surgery on December 10th. And although I am looking forward to it I am getting more and more afraid of how I will look afterwards. I am about 5 foot 4 and I am ashamed to say that I weight almost 260 which is the highest I have ever been in my life. Just think last year I weighed 160 but after I had a baby and the weight won't come off. I lost weight before on the modified fast and I looked fine- thats when i got down to the 160 which was about 75 lbs in 6 months.Other than my chest went from a 46ddd to 36dd I didn't have saggy skin. I am just scared of how I will look after the fact. Is this stupid?

Im worried as well. Im 5'1" and 255 and my surgery is 12/3... I soooooo dont want the saggy skin, but I want this weight off even more. I just think about it this way, ill deal with it when the time comes... For now, I just want to be healthy... Best wishes to u girlie!

Im worried as well. Im 5'1" and 255 and my surgery is 12/3... I soooooo dont want the saggy skin, but I want this weight off even more. I just think about it this way, ill deal with it when the time comes... For now, I just want to be healthy... Best wishes to u girlie!

December for you too!!!! It's good to see someone else will be getting it done around the same time. I wonder if toning up now will do anything. I have been trying to lift weights and do lunges but it's hard..

December for you too!!!! It's good to see someone else will be getting it done around the same time. I wonder if toning up now will do anything. I have been trying to lift weights and do lunges but it's hard..

Yeah, i want to start some kind of routine now too, but its a bit hard bc i have lower back pain really bad. I want to at least start squats daily and some dry brushing and daily moisturizing to maybe help a little. Im just about a month away and im nervous as heck! But im still excited about the possibilities of a new life. Im ready to get this weight off, get my energy back, and live my life to the fullest!

Yeah, i want to start some kind of routine now too, but its a bit hard bc i have lower back pain really bad. I want to at least start squats daily and some dry brushing and daily moisturizing to maybe help a little. Im just about a month away and im nervous as heck! But im still excited about the possibilities of a new life. Im ready to get this weight off, get my energy back, and live my life to the fullest!

I hear you girl!!! What is dry brushing, I know that I am a little pig cause I immediately thought about about a dry rub or some sort of meat lol. I thought about buying me a gift for every milestone as an incentive.

I hear you girl!!! What is dry brushing' date=' I know that I am a little pig cause I immediately thought about about a dry rub or some sort of meat lol. I thought about buying me a gift for every milestone as an incentive.[/quote']

Hilarious!! Omg.. That was fuunnny! Lol. Ive heard a few ppl talk about it on here.. I googled it and thought it was worth a try. It cant hurt. Theres quite a bit out there about it, im sure google can give a better explanation than me..

Yes i agree.. Milestones should be celebrated. One of my good friends said i should buy a "goal outfit"... Im thinking about it. I have so far to go, but a journey begins with one step...

Hey ladies. I'm also in my 50's. 57 to be exact. I'm doing cardio and weight training to minimize my saggy skin. Whatever sag I have I'll live it for awhile because it will change over a couple of years.

There are some good articles out there about dry brushing and I do that too. Amazon has an excellent selection of brushes to revitilize and engergize this important, forgotten organ. I'm hoping that will also help.

I bought my goal outfit right before my surgery. Yup, I was a size 18/20 pants and 2X top and I bought a size 6 dress!!!! In a way it seemed silly but I'm less than 4 months post op and my size 16 jeans are loose! Dream big, lose big. Good luck to you!

Hilarious!! Omg.. That was fuunnny! Lol. Ive heard a few ppl talk about it on here.. I googled it and thought it was worth a try. It cant hurt. Theres quite a bit out there about it, im sure google can give a better explanation than me..

Yes i agree.. Milestones should be celebrated. One of my good friends said i should buy a "goal outfit"... Im thinking about it. I have so far to go, but a journey begins with one step...

Your friend is right!! Ok it's settled- goal outfit it is. I was thinking about buying cute winter coats when they go on clearance for next year but how do u know what size to buy? For now I would buy a jumpsuit for spring as my goal outfit.

Hey ladies. I'm also in my 50's. 57 to be exact. I'm doing cardio and weight training to minimize my saggy skin. Whatever sag I have I'll live it for awhile because it will change over a couple of years.

There are some good articles out there about dry brushing and I do that too. Amazon has an excellent selection of brushes to revitilize and engergize this important, forgotten organ. I'm hoping that will also help.

I bought my goal outfit right before my surgery. Yup, I was a size 18/20 pants and 2X top and I bought a size 6 dress!!!! In a way it seemed silly but I'm less than 4 months post op and my size 16 jeans are loose! Dream big, lose big. Good luck to you!

Wow!!! I can't picture myself as a size 6!!!!! Right now I am a 20 and I am a hippy lady so I would be happy in a 10-12. I think that losing this weight is the primary goal and talking to you ladies have made me feel better. I don't know anyone else having this surgery but I am tired of getting all of this "advice" it's nice to talk to people who understand.

There are some good articles out there about dry brushing and I do that too. Amazon has an excellent selection of brushes to revitilize and engergize this important' date=' forgotten organ. I'm hoping that will also help.

I bought my goal outfit right before my surgery. Yup, I was a size 18/20 pants and 2X top and I bought a size 6 dress!!!! In a way it seemed silly but I'm less than 4 months post op and my size 16 jeans are loose! Dream big, lose big. Good luck to you![/quote']

Which brush did you buy? I need some direction lol

For dry skin brushing I got the Yerba Prima Tampica skin brush after reading the reviews of several brushes. I love it. I also bought Ecotools Bamboo Bristle Bath Brush to use in the shower. It's great for the back and legs/feet. For a moisturizer I tried the coconut oil. It's great for really dry skin and it only takes a little. Warning: I found mosquitos are very attracted to it. :o Enjoy!