Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November Bandsters!

I just wanted to update everyone...Yesterday was my 1 week out of surgery and I am doing pretty good...Actually came back to work today, for those of you who dont know I am a nanny and wasnt sure if I would have the energy to be back...But, I think it is what I needed...I am not the type of person to just sit around and it was killing me...So I am officially down 16 pounds and I cannot believe it....Today I went to lunch with a big nanny group I hang out with during work and it was a challenge but they are all very supportive and I sipped my broth and so did Matthew (the little boy I take care of) cause he always wants what i have but I wanted his chicken fingers, lol....Also, just wanted to let everyone know I fell in love with a yogurt smoothie made by Dannon...It is in grocery stores for all of you who dont know...It's 70z., 0 sugar added, I think only 60 calories and 3 or 4 carbs....They are delicious....My next challenge is going to be getting into the gym...I need to go but It's hard for me to motivate but I will hopefully soon...Well just wanted to update everyone...Congrats to all November Bandsters there sure are a lot of us....And thank you all....All of you are an inspiration to me and you all keep me going everyday....God Bless

man i have more pain from this surgery than i did with my RNY ..It is crazy ...but that left sdie pain ...is better every day but dang it needs to go find someone to bother cause i am over it ...but i guess that dang port is still healing ....Well heal man ....LOL LOL

I thought it was the port too, but my doctors nurse said it wasn't. It is because they had work around the ribs and the diaphragm moving things around, etc.

WOW, alot of posts since I last visited yesterday afternoon!! Great reading, you guys....so much inspiration and encouragement. I know we all need it now!! Thank you to all who shared. I need you!

Chris, yours was such a great pep talk----Thanks for all you said. So true, so true. I needed that reminder, since I seem to be "stuck" at -16 pounds.... all lost within the first 2 weeks. None since then.... :cry

Welcome to the new members!! I'm so glad we have each other! Thanks for all the help and encouragement...... I love you guys!!

Karen ;)

Angela--I am very sorry to hear that your MS symptoms are resurfacing b/c of the surgery. Was this something that you were prepared for to happen? Sorry to hear that you are feeling blue, this will all be worth it though!

Chris--Thank you for your entry, it was very inspirational and oh so true! I think that we all really needed to hear it! It is so difficult when you have gone through so much and still do not see any changes, but you are so right about the healing phase!

Everyone-- Chin up! This will all be worth it! We havent put so much work into this darn thing for nothing, it is medically proven that we WILL lose weight! We can do it despite the slip up here and there! I hope that you all have a great day! :high5: ;) :cheer2: ;)

Thanks Vegge!

I hope the symptoms will go away soon...I could not even go to work today...and I have no sick days! I hope by Friday I will be better. I just bought some bemadryl in case it is an allergic reaction to either one of the meds thay had given me including anesthesia or God forbid the BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:faint:

Congratulations to everyone.

I've heard that the soreness is from them lifting and moving stuff around - like on the video - where they put a stick under the liver and lifted it. Can't be comfy. I guess I'll see for myself soon ;)

Apink - I'm in love with the yogurt smoothies too. I really like the Nouriche ones. I was surprised because I've never liked yogurt - but these don't have that nasty aftertaste.

My dh is out shopping now - getting the smoothies, Protein Drinks, bullion, etc. I know he won't be able to stop himself from getting some steaks or something. He was so supportive - doing all the cooking when we were on weight watchers - then I saw him putting a whole stick of butter in the recipe - to make it taste better. No wonder I lost no weight - but somehow he did. Go figure.

OK, I am sorry if you guys are sick of hearing from me yet but you are my only friends that really understand what I am going through so here it is.....I WENT TO THE GYM TONIGHT!!!! Oh my god, I was banded a week and one day ago, down 16lbs and it motivated me to go to the gym...I did 20 mins on an arc trainer, 10 mins on a bike, and 10 mins on a stepper...Where the hell did I get my energy.....Finally being happy sure does give you a kick in the butt doesnt it...Thanks again everyone....

Oh yeah one more question....Has any had trouble with bad breath after surgery? Is that a silly question? Ever since my diet change/surgery my mouth is like yucky and my breath is kind stinky...That is like my biggest pet peeve and I dont know why that is happening to me....Anyone else experience this? Thanks

My surgeon only expects 1 pound per week weight loss so if you're doing better than that, you're doing good! (He expects 1 pound per day with the bypass.) The surgeon I went to (Dr. Mikami at Ohio State) doesn't do many bands because the weight loss is not as rapid as with the full-blown bypass and many get discouraged and give up. As he told me, even with the band, you didn't put the weight on in a couple of weeks, so don't expect to lose it all in a couple of weeks. Study after study has said that slow, consistent weight loss is much healthier than radical weight loss. Losing it slower increases the likelihood that it will remain off plus allows your skin a chance to "resize" too so that you don't end up with a bunch of flabby skin.

Patience, patience, patience. Remember, good things come to those that wait.

Tom

I don't own a scale so my easy answer is that I haven't weighed myself recently. The other answer I use is that each scale is different so I'm not really sure but I feel much better and my clothes are getting looser. I did tell one person that I'm not overly fond of that it would appear I lost about what they gained and it shut them up. <G>

It's a natural question. Just look at the number of posts here that focus on the weight loss. I remember when my wife was pregnant years ago, she got tired of "when are you due?" She began answering with "whenever the baby decides to come" and people stopped asking.

Tom

I had my three week follow-up appt. with my surgeon and dietician yesterday and they both were very pleased with my progress. I wasn't overly thrilled with it but they said I was right on track. My surgeon emphasized that it will be slow and that's not a bad thing. He too has had lapband and I like that he knows EXACTLY what I'm going through.

I have healed up very nicely from surgery so he gave me my first fill yesterday. Has anyone else had a fill yet? I have a big red, slightly swollen spot around my port and I was wondering if anyone has experienced this? It doesn't hurt but it just looks odd. I took a pic last night of it and I am going to email it and see what they have to say about it.

Apinksoprano- Wow! That is wonderful. Keep up the good work. I started going back to the gym this week too. Doesn't it feel great? For those of you who are struggleing with exercising right now- just do it! It will feel so good- physically & mentally. Every little bit helps- even if you start walking around the block a few times :-)

Jill

Apink... I am out one week too, and I have bad breath. It is my understanding that it comes from your body using its reserve fat as a source of fuel! This is awesome!!! Who ever thought bad breath would be bad!!! lol

Anyone interested in meeting in TJ or San Diego, perhaps the first or second week of January for the first fill? I am planning to see Dr. Hurcuz then. What do you think? CJay

YUCK! I've been doing well, BUT yesterday I was out running errands for a LONG time and was truly hungry. I bought a chicken breast fully intending to chew a few bites until liquid. Got distracted...took a bite...swallowed...and oy vay!!!!!! Wouldn't go down. Wouldn't come up. Pain! Thought I was going to be unable to breathe. Stood up...no help. Coughed and tried to burp. No help. Sweat pouring off me. Red faced. Started producing slime the consistency of Jello. I was sure someone would come over and try to Heimlich me, but people made a point of looing away. OMG!!!!! 10 minutes later it finally went through. WOW!!!! What punishment! Now that's one trial learning. I have been soooo good today.

OHMYGOSH, BETSYJANE!!! How terrible!! I'm so glad that didn't last any longer and that it finally went through... what an awful feeling that must be!! Have you had a fill yet? Is that what happened....you have too much restriction? Or did it happen just from being banded alone? Yuck and double-yuck!! You poor thing..... Glad you are better now!

Karen