Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Started Pre-Op Diet... Kinda Scared, Lots Of Questions.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to VSG talk and I'm grateful for forums such as these to help people along in the process...

I just started my pre-op diet 2 days ago and I'm scheduled for a VSG in Tijuana, Mexico on Nov 9th. I currently weigh about 440 lbs and the surgeon and my care coordinator told me I can have 2 or 3 Atkins Protein shakes a day and a salad with Protein (chicken, fish, egg, etc.) with lowfat dressing, olive oil and vinegar or fat free dressing. They want me to do this for 3 weeks prior to surgery and it hasn't been easy at all.

I'm not allowed to have caffeine either, which is driving me effing crazy! I've had a headache and lots of fatigue for a couple days, I have a hard time concentrating and I keep worrying that I'll never get to enjoy food again. Last night I cheated a little bit and had a spoonful of Peanut Butter, I hope it doesn't negatively affect my results.

I use to be a smoker "years ago" and for the first time in a very long time I'm craving cigarettes, but I know better. I wonder if the occasional piece of nicorette gum would negatively affect my pre-op diet? I was also prescribed some pain meds "vicodin" for a knee injury and pain, but now I'm afraid to take them because I'm not sure if they'll affect my liver prior to the surgery.

Are there any post op VSG patients out there who can comment on their progress, what it's like to eat after the procedure, if they eventually get to eat things like pizza or chinese food again, whether or not they had fears about not being able to eat normal foods again, etc?

Thanks,

Bryan :wacko:

I am just beginning the process of scheduling a surgery date so I'm afraid I can't answer your questions, BUT I want to tell you congrats on your first steps to a new and healthier you! I am hoping to get my surgery in Dec., also in TJ.

Good luck and I (we all here) look forward to being part of your journey and helping where we can

This is the almost exact same diet that I did for Ideal Protein. For headaches they tell you to eat or drink 1/4 teaspoon of natural sea salt (the kind that's pink) I used to just pour it in my hand and eat it. Usually headache was gone within half an hour.

This is the almost exact same diet that I did for Ideal Protein. For headaches they tell you to eat or drink 1/4 teaspoon of natural sea salt (the kind that's pink) I used to just pour it in my hand and eat it. Usually headache was gone within half an hour.

For real? Sea Salt for the headache? I might have to try this, my headaches are horrible.

Just stick to the diet as close as you can. I remember drinking coffee and pop right up until I had the surgery. I ate a good protien diet everynight for dinner. Lot's of fish. What they are trying to do, is make sure that your liver is moved away from your stomach. For goodness sakes don't start smoking, I'm not a doctor, but I can't see how the nicarteen gum, would hurt you, if you quit it before the surgery. Good luck to you, your doing the right thing. I had my surgery 10 months ago, and I'm at goal. Best thing I ever did for myself. PS. I can eat anything, I don't drink coffee or soda's, just don't want to ruin a good thing. Best of Luck.Kathy

Just stick to the diet as close as you can. I remember drinking coffee and pop right up until I had the surgery. I ate a good protien diet everynight for dinner. Lot's of fish. What they are trying to do, is make sure that your liver is moved away from your stomach. For goodness sakes don't start smoking, I'm not a doctor, but I can't see how the nicarteen gum, would hurt you, if you quit it before the surgery. Good luck to you, your doing the right thing. I had my surgery 10 months ago, and I'm at goal. Best thing I ever did for myself. PS. I can eat anything, I don't drink coffee or soda's, just don't want to ruin a good thing. Best of Luck.Kathy

Hi everyone,

I'm new to VSG talk and I'm grateful for forums such as these to help people along in the process...

I just started my pre-op diet 2 days ago and I'm scheduled for a VSG in Tijuana, Mexico on Nov 9th. I currently weigh about 440 lbs and the surgeon and my care coordinator told me I can have 2 or 3 Atkins Protein shakes a day and a salad with Protein (chicken, fish, egg, etc.) with lowfat dressing, olive oil and vinegar or fat free dressing. They want me to do this for 3 weeks prior to surgery and it hasn't been easy at all.

I'm not allowed to have caffeine either, which is driving me effing crazy! I've had a headache and lots of fatigue for a couple days, I have a hard time concentrating and I keep worrying that I'll never get to enjoy food again. Last night I cheated a little bit and had a spoonful of Peanut Butter, I hope it doesn't negatively affect my results.

I use to be a smoker "years ago" and for the first time in a very long time I'm craving cigarettes, but I know better. I wonder if the occasional piece of nicorette gum would negatively affect my pre-op diet? I was also prescribed some pain meds "vicodin" for a knee injury and pain, but now I'm afraid to take them because I'm not sure if they'll affect my liver prior to the surgery.

Are there any post op VSG patients out there who can comment on their progress, what it's like to eat after the procedure, if they eventually get to eat things like pizza or chinese food again, whether or not they had fears about not being able to eat normal foods again, etc?

Thanks,

Bryan :wacko:

Hi Bryan,

I would strongly recommend that you NOT chew nicotine gum. The concern is not that it might impact your surgery in a bad way. The concern is, that right now you are kicking a number of addictions, caffiene, fatty foods- so of course your mind is going to mess with you and make you think about smoking again. Right now it is only your head craving a cigarette, but if you take in nicotine- now your BODY will want the nicotine too. Your mind is desparately seeking a way to relieve the stress of your upcoming surgery, find something else that will help you deal with this. Some thing to help relieve your stress. Perhaps a massage, or some type of hobby.

Michelle

Bryan-remember, to be successful, you can't go back to eating the way you did pre-surgery so having a spoonful of Peanut Butter every now then-is NOT a good idea. Ok, so you have the surgery & you think, well a spoonful of this won't hurt me or a spoonful of that won't hurt & before you know it, it isn't a spoonful anymore & you are back to 400+ lbs! I have seen friends do this & it is a shame. I am almost 5 weeks post-op & I finally feel for the 1st time in my life that I have control over food, not the other way around. I will NOT go back to my old eating habits. The reason for the pre-op is to shrink your liver so that they can get to your stomach. If they don't have enough room, they will have to do the surgery open, which means alot longer healing time. Stay away from the nicotine gum too! Best of luck Bryan!!!

Thanks for the feedback everyone... I think the biggest issue is that I don't have any vices. No alcohol, no caffeine, no nicotine, no food, etc. I don't know what to do with myself. Im only in the 3rd day of this pre-op diet and I'm feeling miserable. I had to leave work early today cause I just didn't feel well. I can tell my boss thinks I'm just being a baby, but Im basically worthless at work right now. Complete lack of ability to concentrate and super tired.

Does anyone know if dill pickles are okay pre-op? There is no sugar, less then 1 carb and only 5 calories per pickle.

Hi Bryan,

If you have a coordinator you should ask about taking pain meds, I didn't even think of asking and I take percocet for bad knees and back, I am actually going to MX Nov 7th so I probably should ask too lol.

After the first few days the headache should stop, I have been lucky thus far (Day 3 of liquid diet) to not have a headache but I had some migrane OTC pills just incase.

If you are having a hard time and this is your first week where you are allowed some type of food, I would say have a little bit of a pickle if you want to but as you get closer just start getting more strict. The last thing you want is to get there and your liver be too big, I know sometimes that will cause them to open ya up opposed to laporscopically (well.. that is what I have read).

Best of luck to you! Keep your head up and eye on the prize and you will do great!!! :)

Hi Bryan,

If you have a coordinator you should ask about taking pain meds, I didn't even think of asking and I take percocet for bad knees and back, I am actually going to MX Nov 7th so I probably should ask too lol.

After the first few days the headache should stop, I have been lucky thus far (Day 3 of liquid diet) to not have a headache but I had some migrane OTC pills just incase.

If you are having a hard time and this is your first week where you are allowed some type of food, I would say have a little bit of a pickle if you want to but as you get closer just start getting more strict. The last thing you want is to get there and your liver be too big, I know sometimes that will cause them to open ya up opposed to laporscopically (well.. that is what I have read).

Best of luck to you! Keep your head up and eye on the prize and you will do great!!! :)

Thanks for the input. I actually have my surgery on Nov 9th in Tijuana with Dr. Garcia also, haha. You'll be leaving as I arrive.

Im having a lot of difficulties with the preop diet so far, but I've stuck with it pretty well. Only in my 3rd day, but the lack of caffeine and the headache are the worst part so far. Is Alma your coordinator also?

The headache and being sluggish will go away in a couple of days! Chin up you can do this. Btw I could have as many pickles on my pre op diet as I wanted. Just be careful bc they have lots of salt and that can make you gain Water weight

Thanks for the input. I actually have my surgery on Nov 9th in Tijuana with Dr. Garcia also, haha. You'll be leaving as I arrive.

Im having a lot of difficulties with the preop diet so far, but I've stuck with it pretty well. Only in my 3rd day, but the lack of caffeine and the headache are the worst part so far. Is Alma your coordinator also?

Ha ha why yes she is! Are you arriving on the 9th or surgery on the 9th i kept getting my days confused now I think I have it down I arrive on the 7th and surgery on the 8th . I am sure we will bump into each other :) I have been looking for someone from the board that was going to be there the same time, everyone I had run across I was going to just be missing by a day or two.

How funny, my procedure is on Nov 9th. I arrive in San Diego on the 7th and Samuel is picking me up on the morning of surgery.

Oh that is good, spending time in San Diego. I am actually flying to Los Angeles on the 3rd for 2 nights then driving down to San Diego on the 5th and going to meet Samuel at the airport on the 7th. I figured I would turn this into a surg-a-cation lol