Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I wondered if I was too old to have this done. I'm 66. But I went ahead with the surgery on 8/28/12. Lost 41 lbs. feeling great. My only challenge is getting in enough Protein and liquids because I get full so fast. I've always been a speed eater, so it's hard for me to slow down, too.

Sent from my iPad using VST

63 here.

We are not too old. We have just had longer to ingrain our habits than the young'ns. Speed eating was a problem for me, too. When you have brothers the fastest gets the mostest. The key is concentration while eating, talking or watching TV can throw you off.

I wondered if I was too old to have this done. I'm 66. But I went ahead with the surgery on 8/28/12. Lost 41 lbs. feeling great. My only challenge is getting in enough Protein and liquids because I get full so fast. I've always been a speed eater, so it's hard for me to slow down, too.

I've been sampling different products to prep for my upcoming surgery. I just had the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup for lunch today. I really enjoyed it. I was expecting it to taste chalky, but it was very flavorful and provided 20 gm Protein in an 8oz serving. I liked that I could order just a few packets of things to try before committing to a large jar.

I've been sampling different products to prep for my upcoming surgery. I just had the unjury chicken Soup for lunch today. I really enjoyed it. I was expecting it to taste chalky' date=' but it was very flavorful and provided 20 gm Protein in an 8oz serving. I liked that I could order just a few packets of things to try before committing to a large jar.[/quote']

I used to live in South Jersey. Mount Laurel. Where are you living?

Hi...I'm 65 and have been told by "friends" don't you think you're a little to old to be doing this? Since I'm neither little or old I told them NO LOL My family is behind me every step of the way...My oldest granddaughter...she's 18.... hugs me and says she's happy I've finally come to me senses ...she wants me around a while longer :) I've promised my daughter, nieces and granddaughter to a night of dancing once I lose at least 75 lbs...I'm tired of hiding....surgery is scheduled for Nov 29th

Never too late! I had my surgery on Oct 3,2012 just 11 days shy of my 68th birthday. I just had my one year visit with my surgeon last Thur, the day after my 69th birthday. Bloodwork is perfect and weight loss is 92 lbs. Best gift I could ever give myself. Feel like the 60's are the new 40's now. Live on...

I am 64 and got sleeved aug 9th......but I am starving again now....I have lost 59 lb and have 44 to go....but I am always hungry.....weight has come to a standstill now for 2 weeks....dont know what to do about it...should I have more Protein Shakes or what.....tell me someone how to kick start it again....

cheers....kiwi/nanci...

I am 64 and got sleeved aug 9th......but I am starving again now....I have lost 59 lb and have 44 to go....but I am always hungry.....weight has come to a standstill now for 2 weeks....dont know what to do about it...should I have more Protein shakes or what.....tell me someone how to kick start it again....

cheers....kiwi/nanci...

Are you getting enough Protein? How about increasing your exercise? 59 lbs. is a fantastic weight loss! Be easy on yourself. Everyone experiences stalls. The scale WILL start moving again.

I love this thread. We teens of the 1960's are still behaving radically and shaking up the status quo by having WLS "at our age." And as one kind member reminded me, we still have 30 years to go!

Not 60 yet, but will be in a couple of months. Had my surgery in March, and I too worried I was too old. Not.

Had my head on straight and totally in the game. Almost at goal. Best thing I ever did! Just compared a picture taken at Easter with the granddaughter to one taken last night on Halloween with the granddaughter... two different people!

I love my sleeve and don't regret a minute of the discomfort or a penny spent.

I am 69.5 years old. I was sleeved in Mexico with Dr. Ortiz May 28,2012. I have lost 53pounds since surgery. I had a badly broken ankle so spent the summer in a wheelchair at my sisters house ( our home has 35 stairs down form the road to the house.) I was unable to exercise at all until the last part of August and then not much or for long. That being said, I am happy with my 53 lbs weight loss. The surgery was the remarkably easy. My recovery was the same. I am thrilled with my decision to have the surgery. I loved my surgeon and the weight loss clinic. I am a Board Certified Family Practice Physician so am was able to evaluate my care on many levels. My husband, also a physician, is scheduled for his Vertical Sleeve Nov. 12,2012.

My motivation to have surgery was driven by a desire to be as active as possible throughout the later decades of life. Overweight people have more musculoskeletal issues than those who are a more normal weight. Those unfortunate to have a stroke, have severe problems transferring and moving around with extra weight. Walking with a cane,walker or even use of a wheelchair becomes more challenging.

My starting weight was 225 lbs, I am not at goal but am determined to reach it.

I hope this helps those still struggling with their decision.

I am 69.5 years old. I was sleeved in Mexico with Dr. Ortiz May 28' date='2012. I have lost 53pounds since surgery. I had a badly broken ankle so spent the summer in a wheelchair at my sisters house ( our home has 35 stairs down form the road to the house.) I was unable to exercise at all until the last part of August and then not much or for long. That being said, I am happy with my 53 lbs weight loss. The surgery was the remarkably easy. My recovery was the same. I am thrilled with my decision to have the surgery. I loved my surgeon and the weight loss clinic. I am a Board Certified Family Practice Physician so am was able to evaluate my care on many levels. My husband, also a physician, is scheduled for his Vertical Sleeve Nov. 12,2012.

My motivation to have surgery was driven by a desire to be as active as possible throughout the later decades of life. Overweight people have more musculoskeletal issues than those who are a more normal weight. Those unfortunate to have a stroke, have severe problems transferring and moving around with extra weight. Walking with a cane,walker or even use of a wheelchair becomes more challenging.

My starting weight was 225 lbs, I am not at goal but am determined to reach it.

I hope this helps those still struggling with their decision.[/quote']

I am going to dr ortiz dec 3! Can I ask why you chose the sleeve?

63 here - down 82lbs since January 2012 - feel great - love wearing normal clothes - threw out all the big clothes.

I am settled at my current weight of 179 -181 would like to loose 20 more to say I have lost 100lbs - but it I can't. I am happy being where I am.

I eat too fast as well and having trouble getting myself motivated to excescize - New Years resolution is to start going to the YMCA and moving more.

As long as you are healthy then do it - why not !

Great to hear so many sleevers closer to my age 60! Have had problems. with nausea but dr. so proactive and compassionate. I still take anti-nausea once a day.

It was hard for me to get enough Protein in too. Finally found Quest Protein Bars. It was a little harder get over surgery. could be that its because I'm over 60. But that was minor compared to the benefit of this sugery.

Had my sleeve done on July 17 and have lost 50lbs.

My husband had his sleeve on September and has lost 60lbs. Of course, he had no side effects from the surgery. No nausea. Only asked for pain meds once while in hospital and nothing once he was home. Thankfully, he breezed through it all. Was back to work in 2 weeks.

My mom fell two years ago and broke her femur. Had to have open heart at the same time. We saw so many elderly people and their families struggling with their recoveries.

THIS MOTIVATED US to do whatever we could to stay as healthy as we could for as long as we could.Hopefully, it will not only make our lives easier but also our childrens.

I wish this would have been available to us 20 years ago. I'd encourage anyone who has struggled with their weight for all their lives whether they're 25 or 65 to look into this.

Have new wrinkles and extra skin but so much better than extra fat!