Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Percentage Of Your Excess Weight Did You Lose?

I started my journey at 273. I now weigh 203. I want to weigh 150. I have lost 55% of my excess wieght. I am almost 4 months out.

I guess 150 wouldn't be an ideal weight if you look at the chart of what women should weigh. I would still be overweight, but that is my goal weight.

I started my journey at 273. I now weigh 203. I want to weigh 150. I have lost 55% of my excess wieght. I am almost 4 months out.

Wow! 70 pounds in less than 4 months. We started out at the same weight, and I'm motivated by your success. What type of exercise do you do and how often? Thanks

This is a good question from which to collect responses. My doc said that while 60% of excess weight is the "going rate," the body and your own drive and determination can do more than they can predict. I'm personally not going to be satisfied with rolling over at 60%. I'm down 92 lbs, but I'm not even CLOSE to being ready to give up, but I'm nearing the 60% mark....

Wow! 70 pounds in less than 4 months. We started out at the same weight, and I'm motivated by your success. What type of exercise do you do and how often? Thanks

I didn't lose it all after surgery. I lost some before. I had surgery on April 12th and weighed 248.8 that day. So I have only lost 45 pounds since then. :)

And I actually have not really been exercising because the week that I was cleared for exercises, I fell and hurt my knee. I really thought I might have to have surgery. I am just starting to walk and go in the pool again today.

Looks to me like VST members are above the norm! I'm sure some if everyone's success is the support they gain here! Thanks for the motivation. It just shows me the more committed and determined I am the better I will do.

I'm 4 months & 1 week out, started at 310 and am down @ 87 lbs. My ideal is 135, so I've lost 50% so far if you count my pre-op weight, When I loose 75% I'll be 178lbs. Question, do you count your highest weight or your surgery day weight? If surgery day weight I've lost 42% and my norm would be 173 lbs. My main goal is 170, 150 once I get plastics.

I'm 4 months & 1 week out' date=' started at 310 and am down @ 87 lbs. My ideal is 135, so I've lost 50% so far if you count my pre-op weight, When I loose 75% I'll be 178lbs. Question, do you count your highest weight or your surgery day weight? If surgery day weight I've lost 42% and my norm would be 173 lbs. My main goal is 170, 150 once I get plastics.[/quote']

I was looking for weight lose since surgery for the percentages but, Pre or post it is still loss and a great accomplishment!!!

I am 6months out and have lost 70.5% of my excess weight. Weight loss has slowed but I am still determined.

How are ya'll calculating this number? Percentage of excess weight loss? I found instructions on how to calculate it at live strong .com but I am not sure it's correct..I have lost 103 # when I calculate where I want my weight to be ..it shows I am only at 50%excess weight loss..and that's at 170..so I am confused

I am 4 months out. To date I have lost 63.7% of my excess body fat. I am not even close to done. I am not stopping till I reach 100-110%.

How are ya'll calculating this number? Percentage of excess weight loss? I found instructions on how to calculate it at live strong .com but I am not sure it's correct..I have lost 103 # when I calculate where I want my weight to be ..it shows I am only at 50%excess weight loss..and that's at 170..so I am confused

The way I am doing it is based on the highest "normal" BMI.

For me normal starts at 155# (25BMI). I figure everything over that "excess".

My start weight was 289, now it's 203.

86lbs down 48 to go. Maybe a little more.

My calculation:Weight lost / (Starting Weight - Goal Weight)

So for me: 209 / (465-220) = ~85%

So per your profile For you: 103 / (367-200) = 61.68%

Here's a link that can help - http://www.livestrong.com/article/452241-how-to-calculate-the-percentage-of-excess-weight-loss/

So far I have lost 67.6% of my excess, I am approaching my 5 month out date - I did lose some on my pre-op plan but it is all part of the same package for me so i include it. To hit my surgeons marks I need to lose another 36 lbs by next May 21, 2013.

He says that good marks are 50% excess down in the 6 months following surgery

The next 25% during those next 6 months - so 75% of excess weight down at one year surgiversary.

And final 25% during the next year - filling out the 2 year sweet spot of losing with our vsgs.

I like the way he puts it - that you will lose all of it in time - as opposed to the percentage that you will lose and that is it. What is that number 60%, 70% I know they probably vary widely.

I must be doing something wrong. Using the formula on that site I show losing only 29.7% of my "excess" body weight.

With these calculations a 65% loss will have me at 101lbs (16.3BMI).

I've actually lost 29.7% of my total body weight.

I'm just over 10 months out from surgery and I have lost a little over 80% of my excess weight. I still plan on losing the last 20%, however, it will likely be at a much slower rate than the first 80% loss.