Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how can so little amount of food - help you lose?

I know this may seem obvious but I ask because .. I've been on EVERY diet in the world and they always say eat something [low cal] or your body thinks it's starving ... so then your metabolism slows down ... with slows down your weightloss.

So if this is true it would seem that eating 3 tiny, tiny meals a day ... would help to SLOW down your weight loss - but here I see you lose lots of weight anyway.

I know this sounds simple but can anyone explain this.

We are eating. Just because the other diets say 'eat something' does not mean it has to be alot. It's anything fuel the metabolism.

So, with the band, some docs recommend 3 small meals a day - Protein first, veggies second, refined starches *IF* you still have room. Some say 5-6 smaller meals per day. This way you keep something going in pretty much consistently. This also fuels the metabolism but doesn't tend to overload the mechanisms which cause you have to the insulin peaks and valleys which tend to cause us to go hunting for more sugars.

It's hard to get our heads around the fact that we all have plenty of reserves and that 4-8 bites of Protein really IS okay. Only one period in my banding experience caused me to eat that little - more generally, I've been able to eat a small chicken breast with no problems along with a helping of green Beans or some other vegetable.

My Doc. also say to eat 3 meals per. day but haveing lost 50lb in the past I ate 6 small meals per day. All the books on losein weight say to eat 6 times to keep your metabolism up. every 3hr. I am only 8weeks out and I have not lost anything in the last 3weeks. So now I am doing two workouts per day ( morning, and at night) to get this metabolism going .

Actually I eat quite a lot and still have lost 31 pounds in 5 months. I've been hobbled in weight loss by steroids lately, but I think a person can eat normal stuff and still lose weight because we are eating a whole lot less than before the lapband. My doctor told me to eat beef. He said to avoid sweets and eat Protein so I try that though I eat some sweets too. But I always have a lot of meat to eat though it's mostly chicken. I can cook chicken in about 20 ways. Just as long as it's soft, it works. I also eat pizza to get vegetables with some grease so it will go down. The key is having some sort of sauce to make the protein go down. I use mashed potatoes though they are verboten, green Beans cooked very soft, apple sauce and gravies. I still throw up quite often but this works pretty well. I have lost enough weight that I'm going to slow down at this point, but I'm still happy. I figure I spent about $385 per pound I've lost, but the idea was to be able to eat and still lose weight. I think a lot of folks have been on so many diets that they think they have to really watch what they eat, but with the lapband, one can eat normal food -- just not as much as you used to. At least, that is what Dr. Rodriguez told me and I'm following his advice.

Actually I eat quite a lot and still have lost 31 pounds in 5 months. I've been hobbled in weight loss by steroids lately, but I think a person can eat normal stuff and still lose weight because we are eating a whole lot less than before the lapband. My doctor told me to eat beef. He said to avoid sweets and eat Protein so I try that though I eat some sweets too. But I always have a lot of meat to eat though it's mostly chicken. I can cook chicken in about 20 ways. Just as long as it's soft, it works. I also eat pizza to get vegetables with some grease so it will go down. The key is having some sort of sauce to make the Protein go down. I use mashed potatoes though they are verboten, green Beans cooked very soft, apple sauce and gravies. I still throw up quite often but this works pretty well. I have lost enough weight that I'm going to slow down at this point, but I'm still happy. I figure I spent about $385 per pound I've lost, but the idea was to be able to eat and still lose weight. I think a lot of folks have been on so many diets that they think they have to really watch what they eat, but with the lapband, one can eat normal food -- just not as much as you used to. At least, that is what Dr. Rodriguez told me and I'm following his advice.

That's good to hear. :nervous

My plan (as I'm keeping my surgery a secret) is to avoid eating out with friends the first couple of months. Just until I get to the point where I can have 'normal' food .. just not THAT much food. This way you can live like a normal person.

About the protein. Can't you just mixed some protein power into a shake in order to get your protein allowance in for the day. I tried some already. It wasn't bad - I'm trying to think of it as 'medicine' so just take it and get it out of the way. :eek:

Thanks for your input.

btw - I just got my surgury date a couple of days ago and last night

(hee hee!) I had a dream that they called me and told me that - I suddenly had been DENIED! What a nightmare!!!! :confused:

I've kept my banding a secret from people at work too,they do question how I've lost the weight and question what I eat on this "diet" I tell them the truth..................no bread, no Pasta,no sugar,no fast food.............except maybe a hard shell shredded beef taco:heh:

and I told them I only eat enough to take away the hunger but not enough to get that full feeling....................being why I eat so much less than before:lie: I just didn't want to have the pressure of everyone knowing I had surgery to lose the weight,in case the band didn't work for me.I didn't need them watching me fail,again.Fast forward to 7 months later,I can't change my story now!:heh:

Point is,I can still eat out if I wanted to,I just make better menu choices and I always need a box to take the left over home.In fact my husband and I went to a Mexican buffet yesterday afternoon,I chose to eat meat and some Beans.I was done after a few bites.The cost is a little high for just those 2 things but I'm still able to be good company for my husband while he enjoys his lunch.

About the Protein shakes.I took them for a while,while I was on the Liver shrinking diet and on the liquid diet post op,then I read that they actually make you gain weight after a while.The body doesn't work to metabolize this liquid so it goes straight through,sugar and all.

Congrats on your surgery date.Don't worry it was just a dream..............but I wouldn't answer the phone if I were you! LOL!!!!

No, I don't see any benifit in becoming the topic of conversation around the office either. Weight loss is hard enough without everyone in your buisness.:phanvan

I suuuure wish I was were you are right now.

Waiting is a killer.

I have exactly 2 1/2 months to suffer in this fat suit. Then I'm taking an adventure vacation to Asia for 5 weeks and I return - I go in for surgery and will be off work 2 more weeks:D

The only person I HAD to tell was my HR person - but she can't tell anyone.

I've been waiting for a return email from her all week - afraid she'll question me.hee hee!

Thanks for the heartening posts!

I go to a weight loss doctor and have B-12 shots injected in my arm. I have to go every two weeks and my energy has increased and my weight loss has started back.