Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll - Democrat or Republican?

What Political Party Do You Vote For?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What Political Party Do You Vote For?

• Democrat
    • Republican
    • Independent
    • I Don't Vote

I am registered as a republican, but I vote for republicans. democrats and independents. I tend to be a bit on the conservative side, but I don't go out to intentionally vote for one party or another. I vote the issues I agree with. If I am not familiar with the issues of both candidates, I will not vote for that particular office.

Mommy0105: Does the platform of the party that the person belongs to enter into your decision at all? Or do you base your decision to vote for a candidate just on what you've heard him say or what you've read that lets you know what he plans to do while in office?

BJean - Sure it enters my mind, I'm just saying that while I lean to the Republican side, it is not the be all and end all to my decision.

The reason I asked is because many people I come in contact with say that they do not consider the platform of the party at all. They don't think that the parties have much power and so that doesn't enter into their voting decision-making.

I'm trying very hard to understand how and why people have come to that way of thinking.

Thanks very much for your input!

I am a lesbian public school teacher. Can't get any more left than that!
How about an Atheist getting an MS in biology (and probably a PhD, after I get the MS)?

How about an Atheist getting an MS in biology (and probably a PhD, after I get the MS)?

How about an atheist Canadian who is a member of a trade union? And who has a lot of gay friends and whose tenant is a lesbian?

True Republicans should be ashamed of Bush and his cronies. The GOP once stood for less government, more personal responsiblity and keeping religion separate from the governing of the country.

This administration is all about big government:

Wiretapping?

Torture?

Amending the constitution to strip people of rights?

As for anyone thinking Bush is too liberal, I weep for you. This man thinks he speaks directly to God, that gays aren't people, and that he's only accountable to the people that voted for him.

Puh-leeze.

I am a lesbian public school teacher. Can't get any more left than that!

Long live Lesbian Public School Teachers!

JeninCo: Amen to your current Republican party assessment!!! I've been known to vote Republican but they've gone stark raving mad. Now I feel so betrayed I will never make the mistake of voting for a Republican again.

I'm a liberal. Everyonce in a while I even think about voting for a green party canidate or two.

Growing up, we lived off of the the government. One secret I can tell you is that when people talk about how we are supporting so many people, we aren't exactly letting them live the high life. Disability and so forth generally puts you at the poverty line. Then when I was a teenager my mom accidentally got us on medicare (she applied for government subsideized health insurance. We couldn't ever afford insurance.). That was awesome. My health sure improved a lot after I got to go to the doctor whenever I was sick. And no more crying and yelling and screaming and fighting and other nastiness over what prescriptions to get filled each month and how long I could stretch my asthma meds. Just more breathing. It was a good thing. I discovered that I wasn't actually as pale as I thought I was! And I started growing again. Then thanks to those improved grades and everything I got scholarships and loans and stuff and a college degree.

And I know a lot of people also think that everyone living off of government assistant is a teenager mom who keeps popping off more kids or something like that without thinking. But thats not the case for a lot of people. I had two parents. They didn't plan on having disabled kids, that sort of thing just happens. They didn't plan on my father dying. That sort of thing just happens too.

I lived in Wales for a year and I thought the whole universal healthcare thing was pretty cool too. Sure that system isn't perfect, but it really does make me wonder what life would be like possibility wise if people weren't afraid of having inadequate health covereage when it came to things liek starting their own buisiness, etc.

How many of us are TRULY more than one or two disasterous events away from financial devastation? My income is well above the poverty line, and it would not take much to topple my house of cards.

A Really good example of this or how it can happen is that show 30 days I was speaking of. It documents the "working poor" for 30 days. Those who make " minimum wage" and who work every day . Make too much money usually to qualify for help like health insurance . And as you said ONE Health crisis with a child and they are homeless, it happens. My husband and I own our own business , we make decent money . Health insurance however, We do not have . why .... I am un insurable for one . why ? Becuase I have Migraines of all things. To get the rest of the family insurance its $1500 a MONTH . Its actually cheaper to just pay for the $60 office visits for us .

We are working on getting major medical for the chance that something major happens. Because a major accident, could bankcrupt our company as well as us.

Mindy

If I ever tried to get private insurance I am sure that 1) it either wouldn't be possible or 2) the rates would be laughabley high.

I have narcolepsy for one thing. Then there is my family history. My family isn't insurable. Between the rare genetic diseases and their own rare neurological problems, no one wants to touch that. For some reason insurance companies just don't like those of use with the rare neurological problems... And it took long enough to get the narcolepsy diagnosed because I couldn't afford a sleep study. My insurance wouldn't cover one. Those things cost a couple thousand or so. DH's insurance did pay for them however. I got diagnosed shortly after we got married.

My husband has wonderful insurance through his job. its a government job actually as in he works for a large public university. If we had to actually pay retail on my monthly prescriptions, it would be about two thousand dollars a month. I kid not. I'm on some expensive stuff. Back when I was a poor college student I relied on pharmecutical charity care programs.

www.needymeds.com is a great database of those sorts of programs btw

Well it's a good thing you're a liberal because the right wingers definitely don't want to help people like you out. They think we all just need to work harder so that we can provide our own health care. Simple, huh?

Well it's a good thing you're a liberal because the right wingers definitely don't want to help people like you out. They think we all just need to work harder so that we can provide our own health care. Simple, huh?

Wow.... you sure got us "right wingers" pegged.... don't forget that we also like to kick puppies and starve old people.... Oh yeah, and pollute the air, rape the land and wreak destruction where ever we go....

Gotta love those sweeping generalizations.... sigh.... :tired