Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unfills for vacation purposes

It may be YOUR tool, but it is a doctor's job to "Do No Harm".

When My doctor unfilled my band, he told me to go on a post op eating regiment. So it was two weeks before I ate normal food. My weight dropped 12 pounds.

Let's say, I had wanted to go on a 10 day cruise on the 15th. I have my band unfilled no later than the 1st of the month, lose 12 pounds, then after a day or two, I go on the cruise and enjoy myself, and gain 25 pounds, and finally on about the 1st of the next month, I get a fill, go back on the post op eating regiment and lose about 15 pounds.

That is torture to MY body. Even though I have the right to commit suicide with MY body, I think that many would disagree with that statement and many more would not want to facilitate my suicide.

Maybe the surgeon you spoke to has a similar attitude when it comes to facilitating unhealthy life choices, even though it is YOUR body and it will be YOUR band.

My college girl-friend used to be a suicide councilor and she had the nerve to tell people not to abuse THEIR bodies. Ownership is not the only thing to be considered.

The doctor would be acting in a codependant manner if he had given you the answer that you sought. Maybe, if this "unfill for vacation" issue is so important, you are not really ready for a Lap-Band.

... but I didn't necessarily like the fact that the surgeon's plan was to control the band (and therefore me) by not allowing the option.

Whatever happened to the band being MY tool?

If you have control issues--and I do, so I get it--I'd REALLY spend more time considering the surgery and not worry so much about the surgeon.

Let me give you my oft-used example of why. One day, three of us wls patients were joking that we'd like to find a Krisy Kreme store. Deal is, the banded woman would have slimed and PB'd, the RnY woman would have gone into dumping syndrome...both right then, and right there. I now have the DS. I can eat the stupid doughnut. Later tonight my belly will growl...tomorrow I'll have two or three extra trips to the bathroom and stinky poop; but right then, right there, I am the one who gets to determine whether I eat the damned doughnut.

That is the nature of MY mental state. I no longer feel "controlled" by some impanted demon that doesn't let me eat the lousy doughnut. And I don't have to worry about getting into bed FIRST and THEN eating the doughnut like my (insane?) RnY friends who want the doughnut ANYWAY occasionally do.

But, if band is your choice, then you need to understand that the literature suggests that there is a positive correlation between frequent adjustments and problems...and it would probably be not only ill-advised but perhaps unethical for your surgeon to indulge such a request. IMO.

Actually, your request tells ME that you are a VERY LIKELY someone who would "eat around the band" and then wonder why it wasn't working. (Edited to add the following...) For me the band was "a diet with a choke chain." The longer I had it, the less control I had. If you are ALREADY trying to find a way to eat what you want when you want, you may need tolook at a surgery that will let you be you and still lose weight. The band requires that you do things "the band's way."

The band IS "your" tool, but this doctor shows some sense of responsibility, and for that you should be thankful. Fills are not totally risk-free. Things can happen during a fill that jeopardize the integrity of the band. They should not, therefore, be undertaken for frivolous reasons. You get a fill if you NEED it. You get an unfill if you NEED one. You do NOT get filled/unfilled on a whim. Just my opinion, of course.

I think it is worth equating this with many other procedures. Your dentist won't pull a healthy tooth. Your PCP won't prescribe drugs he isn't convinced you really need, even though it's YOUR body and you might be willing to assume the risk. Every physician takes an oath that says "first, do no harm". Obviously, some doctors take that more seriously than others. Personally, those are the ones I like - especially if I am gonna let them cut me open.

If you are ALREADY trying to find a way to eat what you want when you want, you may need tolook at a surgery that will let you be you and still lose weight.

I have mixed feelings about this line of thinking. I know someone who lost 2/3 of her excess weight with the band. She wants to lose another 50 pounds and is now looking for a doctor who will revise her to a DS so she can eat more (mostly junk) and still lose weight. The scary thing is, she will probably find one (have checkbook, will travel).

I was recently banded and just had my post op appt. The Dr. said to schedule my next appt for 6 weeks for my first adjustment. I asked him if I could wait until 7 weeks, because I am going on vacation in 6 weeks. On one hand I would love to have restriction to keep myself inline during vacation. But since it is my first fill I am concerned about how I might react. I will also be flying, and have heard some people get tighter when flying. Because of all this, I opted to wait until the day I get back.

I don't think I would opt for an unfill just for vacation, but I'm not sure I would go get a fill right before one either.

I have mixed feelings about this line of thinking. I know someone who lost 2/3 of her excess weight with the band. She wants to lose another 50 pounds and is now looking for a doctor who will revise her to a DS so she can eat more (mostly junk) and still lose weight. The scary thing is, she will probably find one (have checkbook, will travel).

If her BMI is low, I HOPE she doesn't find a willing surgeon.

Does she understand that she will not be able to ENJOY eating junk with the DS? She can eat a taste of this and a taste of that alright...but if she sits down and makes a bag of Cookies disappear today, she'll have so many bathroom trips tomorrow that she will for SURE have baboon ass. And it ain't pretty.

Send her to OH to visit with us there. I can eat things I couldn't eat banded, for sure. But I cannot live on junk. It would tear up my bowels!!

I was recently banded and just had my post op appt. The Dr. said to schedule my next appt for 6 weeks for my first adjustment. I asked him if I could wait until 7 weeks, because I am going on vacation in 6 weeks. On one hand I would love to have restriction to keep myself inline during vacation. But since it is my first fill I am concerned about how I might react. I will also be flying, and have heard some people get tighter when flying. Because of all this, I opted to wait until the day I get back.

I don't think I would opt for an unfill just for vacation, but I'm not sure I would go get a fill right before one either.

What you did was quite different than the question asked. I guess some purists might suggest you were wrong, but you are human.

Or right before Thanksgiving or Christmas, either. There is a huge difference between putting off a needed fill and in getting an unfill you don't need, then a fill to bring you back to where you started. Not the same thing AT ALL.

As someone who is not banded yet I do not usually jump in on too many discussions . But this one I wanted to for a few reasons.

I know everyone chooses their docs for different reasons and for different personalities im sure. But personally I chose my doc because he's one that will tell you ' HELL NO IM Not unfilling you so you can go eat what ever the hell you want " OR he's one that will tell you " Im not doing surgery on you until you loose 20 lbs because of abc.." he's very stright forward. I would not want a doc that is goign to do what ever I wanted him to do for me. If that was the case I would have the MD behind my name and not him .

Another reason this thread kind of rubbed me the wrong way and maybe i'll get flamed for this i dont know .... Or call it me feeling sorry formyself ?

Here I sit Busting my ass cleaning houses to get the $12,000 for my surgery and Im doing and reading everything I can to get this surgery , crying almost nightly over this . And im SURE im not the only one who's struggeling with financing and feeling like its going to take forever. And Here i sit reading of how someone who as it seems HAS The money to go get the surgery and is already trying to figure out how to blow it . Im sorry but that kind of pissed me off. NOw maybe that's not what it is . but to me that's what it seemed. I just think if your going to do this do it all the way , be 100% with it . At least at first until you figure out what is best for your body . That's just my input .

:confused:

I knew when I posted this question on LBT I would get lots of input. I also knew the input would vary in range -- that's EXACTLY what I wanted and that's EXACTLY what I got.

Although I'm searching for a band surgeon, the question I posted was one I needed addressed. And, none better to address that question than those who have lived or are living with the band.

What I've learned is that it's probably not reasonable or healthy to expect a surgeon to unfill the band for non-medical reasons; that a more reasonable course for someone who is banded is to plan the next scheduled fill adjustment to occur after known events (i.e. vacations, holidays, etc.). It was also good to know that the band doesn't affect the food aspect of enjoying a vacation.

Thanks, LBT!

I think you should definately hold off on getting that fill until you get back from vacation. So many folks have trouble with it being too tight you don't want to be some where F-A-B and miserable and not able to get an unfill.

Now, as for getting an unfill just before going on vacation, I think this is just asking for trouble. I think this mind set is part of the "band=diet=not-my-responsiblity." So many people like to keep their band sinched up so tight that they can only eat small amounts of food at a time. Small as in tablespoon sized meals, not reasonable portions.

I think thise folks do not make the mind transfer to the lifestyle.

I sure hope this is making sense.

To coltonwade:

I will not flame you for stating a valid opinion and I doubt anyone else will. Your ideas with doctor hunting are valid and I agree with them. Your criteria is a valid health concern.

While I empathize with your ideas on money, however, I don't think it is either your prerogative or my prerogative to worry about how other people use or waste their money. Some people are starving, while others air condition the dog-house for "Rover". Not our business, IMHO.

To Randi:

I hope we weren't too hard on you, but to give anyone the answer that we might assume that they want to hear is doing a disservice to both that person and this forum's reputation. I can only speak for myself, but I feel that honesty is more important that being friendly, though hopefully advice can be given to the point without animosity. Truth is more supportive than sympathy.

To coltonwade:

I will not flame you for stating a valid opinion and I doubt anyone else will. Your ideas with doctor hunting are valid and I agree with them. Your criteria is a valid health concern.

While I empathize with your ideas on money, however, I don't think it is either your prerogative or my prerogative to worry about how other people use or waste their money. Some people are starving, while others air condition the dog-house for "Rover". Not our business, IMHO.

Thanks for not flaming me lol . I see your point about the money . What others do with their money is their choice. I was just a little frustrated .

Sometimes the only support I get is from this and other boards and seeing something who in my opinion doesnt have any intention of following healthy guidelines just seemed like a waste to me . But who is to say when i get my band I will follow it to a T , I can sit here and say I will now but I dont know that with 100% accuracy until im there I guess. I shouldnt judge until im in those shoes :huytsao

Thanks for your input

Mindy

Mindy....I think people who are self-pay are the ones who take really good care of their bands, follow the rules, etc. It's true that we don't value anything that comes too easily. At the end of the day, you may be the big winner, by virtue of the fact that you DID struggle to pay for your band. If there is any justice in the world (and sometimes there is), you will be a "big loser"....pun intended.

Best of luck to you.

Hi Carlene,

I don't agree with the statement that self pay take better care of their bands. I think its the folks that understand "compliance" and band limitations that are the ones that do the best with their bands. They are the ones that stay on top of their post op care, make sure they do all they can to be successful and understand that the band is just a tool.

I do GET what you are trying to say. If you have to finance a band and have a monthly bill coming in like a car payment or you had to scrape the $ together cleaning houses, you MIGHT feel more strongly about being successful, but...... I have lots of friends that have paid for their bands and many of them have not done well due to difficulty getting post op care (if banded outside the states). The band requires lots and lots of post op attention and its the folks that are compliant 80% of the time that do the best.

In response to the fill/unfill vacation scenario, Geezer Sue is correct. The more fills and unfills you get, the bigger chance of complications. The folks I see that seem to have steady success are the ones with the least fills/unfills. My problems started with my band when they accidentely emptied it during PS. I can assure you that I no longer have the restriction I once had with far less in my band than I have now.

Any surgeon who would unfill a band just so a patient could eat more on vacation is not someone I would want to band me. So if the question was asked during a seminar to flush out a surgeon that might not be the right one for you, then kudos. Personally, I have never had a problem eating anything I want on vacation in smaller amounts. ITs really great to comeback and not have regain.

Babs in TX

334/190 ish

A lot depends on what a person is willing to commit to the experience, like exercise, eating Protein first, not drinking and eating at the same time etc....