Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello UK sleevers... In need of some advice and hope you can help.....

My surgery date is 4th October and pre op diet starts Thursday 20th Sept. On reading the threads in main pre and post op forum the majority of American sleevers speak of different Protein powders they have but all I can find here is stuff marketed for body builders. From your experience can anyone recommend high quality Protein powder which is palatable and I can buy in UK? Thanks x

#onedayiwillbeslim SD - October 4th 2012

Hi I had my sleeve on the 4 sept I'm 2 weeks post op and I was told slim fast for

Protein shakes

Thanks very much for that- how are you getting on post surgery? What's it been like for you?

I'm not too bad, my sleeve has been done too tight so I have been struggling to even get Water down, I was told after 4 weeks I have to have it checked and if it hasn't opened up then I will have to have another op to open it :( the worst thing post op was wind pain! And even now I'm very very windy after anything I drink. It's hard to get your head round having to take small sips of things. The thirst for me for the first week after Surrey was bad too I just wanted to neck pints of water but couldn't. Best tip I could give is keep ice and keep chomping away at that

Oh my god- that sounds awful. How did they do it too tight? That's terrible. I'm worried about not managing to drink especially when exercising ... I love to glug down Water and think that will obviously become an impossibility. Can they expand the sleeve? How do they do that?

Has your weight loss been good? I imagine it will have been given the complications...

Wishing you a speedy recovery- thanks for your advice I will take it on board for sure

Are your choices really that limited in the UK? I've been looking for a small business opportunity that allows me to help other people at he same time. I would definately consider opening an online bariatric store to serve the UK.

Hello!

There are lots of "max power" "muscle build" type Protein powders but they all seem to be targetted for male body builders and are mostly 100% whey based which I think is again ideal for intake immediately after exercise. I just worried about buying too calorific a Protein Powder. Some are high Protein and also have higher amounts of sugars and carbs.... I just want to find good quality protein that cones recomended post sleeve surgery. I tried to google "unjury" which lots of people have referred to on the main pages but its not available here in UK.... Any suggestions ?

Actually whey is the preferred Protein for WLS. unjury is "whey Protein isolate", the best form of whey available. It delivers 20g protein in 100 calories.

Honestly the protein body builders use is pretty much the same stuff, you just have to learn how to interpret the label. That and really most of us aren't too comfortable walking into a store that caters to thick necks, we tend to feel as though we are looked down upon.

I'd also like to add if you find something you think might work & would like someone to interpet the label/ ingredients, I'd be happy to do so.

That's great info to have thanks for your advice.

Yes I don't relish prospect of going into the health food shop to buy this - perhaps an online purchase will be best!

How are you getting on- what's your story?

My story is pretty simple.

I'm a health nut, turned fatty, turned health nut. Had my surgery on May 23rd and haven't looked back since. I've spent the last 15years of my life chasing the all mighty dollar and letting my health go to crap. Now I want the old me back, and am determined to get it. I still love money, but now I feel I can find ways of making it that don't destroy me or other people. I'm finding that through my pursuit of money I lost myself, only to find a deeper version of me. Now that I've been morbidly obese, I find myself wanting to help others meet their potential. We have a television show here calked "Extreme Makeover weightloss edition" the trainer on that show is dedicated to helping people that are highly overweight change their lives. Right now my goal is to get back in great shape so that one day I can be him.

I am in U k and get my Protein powder from myprotein.com. They have a large variety of flavours and sell sample sizes so that you can try them, just put in whey Protein in the search box on their site. Delivery is fast, don't pay for super fast delivery.

I have the chocolate mint which is lush, vanilla which is nice and creamy (I add coffee powder to this to make a change). I have had a berry one in the past which was nice and a cookie and cream one - this one I was not too keen on as it had a coconut aftertaste but I did finish the packet.

@OTR sleever Wow-you sound so highly motivated it's great! Thanks for the advice. Really wish you all the best with your ambition- where are you in relation to weightloss/fitness goal? I know the programme you mean! I'll watch put for you! Lol ;)

@UKCathy Thank you very much for the tip off I will check out that site ;) How are you getting on with your sleeve progress?

I am 51/2 months out and I have lost 53lb, I am an older sleever (53) and I am happy (most of the time) with that progress but at times I want it to be more. In my heart of hearts I would like to lose 100lb so I am 53% there which is not too bad. When I started this journey I thought the weight loss would take 9-12 months but it looks like it could be 12-14 months, again not too bad considering I have been overweight most of my adult life.

Hi my names Carly and my surgery date is 31st October can't wait start milk diet on the 17th October xx

I am 51/2 months out and I have lost 53lb, I am an older sleever (53) and I am happy (most of the time) with that progress but at times I want it to be more. In my heart of hearts I would like to lose 100lb so I am 53% there which is not too bad. When I started this journey I thought the weight loss would take 9-12 months but it looks like it could be 12-14 months, again not too bad considering I have been overweight most of my adult life.

Well done, it must be great to be so much smaller already, im a year older than u and hope that i can do as well as you. I have bought slim fast, but just realised it contains cows milk and im allergic to cows milk, duh, i went to the site you reccomemded , for Protein in the uk and saw that they do soya protein which is a great help for me, i didn't have a clue where i could get some, so, thank you, x