Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Food Do You Miss?

The food I probably miss the most is Subway. I love, love, love Subway, and there is just no way to even think about eating all that bread. Not only can't but don't want too. Also cannot tolerate chinese at all except for shrimp eggs foo yung. Oh, well...it's only food. Kathe :)

Have you ever checked out the salads at Subway? I eat them all the time. They will make any sandwich into a salad. They just replace the bread with a bowl full of lettuce, then all the sandwich stuff on top. I usually get a double meat salad, and that is 2 or 3 meals for me. I'll eat the meat, most of the veggies and some of the lettuce.

I don't think I miss anything. Not yet anyway. I had a moment last weekend when the hubby made himself a grilled cheese sandwich and I thought I wanted that yet when he offered me a bite I suddenly didn't want it any more. Odd. It has been like this with a few things. I used to be a chocoholic but now have almost zero interest in the stuff. My sweet tooth has gone to the point where even some vegetables are too sweet for me.

I see stuff I think I want but then I realise that I don't want it at all, to the point where I have to look away or feel ill. This has happened with pizza, Pasta and savouries as well as sweets.

My relationship with food is really odd right now and I am still finding my limits and my new tastes. The stuff I really want now is all stuff I can have, like my post op obsession with chilli. And my weird obsession with ovaltine light break. I am easily pleased these days!

I consider myself lucky that I am not craving anything bad, but also find it all a bit odd at times, and, believe it or not, sometimes a bit frightening. I guess I need to do some work on redefining food as fuel as a previous poster wrote about. That may help my perspective.

Have you ever checked out the salads at Subway? I eat them all the time. They will make any sandwich into a salad. They just replace the bread with a bowl full of lettuce' date=' then all the sandwich stuff on top. I usually get a double meat salad, and that is 2 or 3 meals for me. I'll eat the meat, most of the veggies and some of the lettuce.[/quote']

Hmmmm, meatball salad....

I don't miss many foods at this point. I was thinking about food a few days ago. My grocery list now is really different than before. Mostly, mine is "case of Water, mini babybel cheese, Protein bars". If I'm low on Vitamins, I'll add that to my list.

I buy bagged chicken breasts, a steak or two, and pork chops, along with 1 red pepper, an onion, two avocados and bananas as needed. Those are my go-to foods. Before surgery, my list was much longer and was about variety. Now, I'm really into stir fry with a little olive oil, so I'll buy a bag of veggie mix for stir fry about every three weeks and put half a cup in with half a chicken breast and that makes dinner.

My life no longer revolves around food...and I'm thrilled about that!

I don't miss anything - I eat everything just so much less of it ! That is why I choose the sleeve.

Hmmmm' date=' meatball salad....[/quote']

I stick with the "6 grams of fat or less" versions. But frankly a meatball salad sounds good and I bet it's loaded with Protein.

Funny thing to think about. The grilled chicken salad has 9 carbs. The sweet onion chicken teriyaki has 24. The only difference is that sweet onion sauce. And those aren't good carbs. Just goes to show how much bad stuff can be in those little sauces and dressings that I dismissed in my previous life.

Ok, people, why did you transform and lose every craving you ever had... And I didn't! Don't get me wrong, I'm transforming. I'm losing the weight, eating right, exercising and LOVING it. All in all, this experience has been more than I could have hoped for.

BUT I have a moment every few days where I really want SOMETHING (insert French fries, pizza, Doritos, bread, Pasta, chocolate... Yep, those are the ones that have come up so far). The moment passes quickly, but it happens to me several times per week. For the most part I crave carbs. How is it that you guys get through this without having those times? I don't think that I would actually eat any of those items right now, but I want them every once in a while.

I do wonder, butterthebean maybe you have an answer because I know you exercise a lot - if putting in a lot of exercise on 20-30 carbs daily makes me crave carbs.

Anywho, just sayin I'm jealous of all of you! :)

The food I probably miss the most is Subway. I love' date=' love, love Subway, and there is just no way to even think about eating all that bread. Not only can't but don't want too. Also cannot tolerate chinese at all except for shrimp eggs foo yung. Oh, well...it's only food. Kathe :)[/quote']

They make a 3in flat bread that is low in carbs...its not to heavy on your tummy either...with meat, cheese and Veggies I can make it thru half...this was also my missed food and I was so excited to find flatbread :)

It's great that you have been able to control these cravings. I was a carboholic in the "old days" and know how easy it is to succumb, but you are losing weight despite the cravings. I admire you. Keep hanging in there.

Ok, people, why did you transform and lose every craving you ever had... And I didn't! Don't get me wrong, I'm transforming. I'm losing the weight, eating right, exercising and LOVING it. All in all, this experience has been more than I could have hoped for.

BUT I have a moment every few days where I really want SOMETHING (insert French fries, pizza, Doritos, bread, Pasta, chocolate... Yep, those are the ones that have come up so far). The moment passes quickly, but it happens to me several times per week. For the most part I crave carbs. How is it that you guys get through this without having those times? I don't think that I would actually eat any of those items right now, but I want them every once in a while.

I do wonder, butterthebean maybe you have an answer because I know you exercise a lot - if putting in a lot of exercise on 20-30 carbs daily makes me crave carbs.

Well, first of all, I eat closer to 60 carbs a day. But the key is they are low glycemic carbs....mostly. If I have a high glycemic carb it's right before or during a workout. Those will give you instant energy basically. But the bulk of my carbs are low glycemic and those are the ones that give you energy throughout the day (think green veggies).

Now to your real question, I've never heard of low carbs causing cravings. For me, if I don't eat enough carbs, I feel weak and shaky. Now, in my old life if I felt this way, I would go right for some junk food. But now I am learning to eat in a way that prevents this from happening by eating low glycemic carbs throughout the day, spread out in small amounts to sustain me.

What I have read that causes cravings is high glycemic carbs...think starches and sugars. They do cause cravings, especially in large doses. If your small amount of carbs consist of any starches, they may be doing more harm than good....IMO. Even whole wheat healthy breads and pastas are still high glycemic. Which means they are okay if you are about to go on a 5 mile hike, but I wouldn't have them on a regular basis because they cause your blood sugar to rise, releasing insulin which helps your body store fat. I'm not telling anyone to cut them out completely if they don't want to, just save them for long bouts of exercise...not for dinner right before bed.

As for the cravings, I think we all have the occasional craving every now and then. I haven't eaten anything yet that doesn't agree with me, which is a blessing but also a curse. It means I have to supply all the will power. But I look at all the progress I've made and I think, why would I want to take a step back by eating this or that junk? That's what keeps me moving forward.

It's great that you have been able to control these cravings. I was a carboholic in the "old days" and know how easy it is to succumb, but you are losing weight despite the cravings. I admire you. Keep hanging in there.

Notime, I was a HUGE carboholic. I lived on starches. I truely believe I was addicted to them....like a meth addict. I could not go 2-3 hours without some carbs or sugar. If I did, my body reacted violently. I didn't like that reaction, so I subconsciously trained myself to eat before it could kick in. I was like a fuctioning alcoholic. I did everything I wanted to do, but I made sure the carbs were always close by.

When I first met my surgeon I told him how concerned I was about this, and that I didn't think I could kick the addiction. He told me by the time I was allowed to eat again, it would be gone. My NUT drilled it into me how bad those starches were, but it never really sunk in until I learned about and understood the chemical reaction that eating those carbs and sugars had inside my body. Now I'm repulsed by it and don't want to go back.

I anyone is interested, watch the movie "Fathead". It's mostly a criticism of the movie "Supersize Me", but right in the middle it gives a real good explanation of what happens when you eat high glycemic foods. It's basically a lose/lose situation.

What I miss the most is the ability to eat an appetizer when dining out. Don't get me wrong I don't want to eat a 1/4 or 1/2 of the darn thing- just maybe a bite or two, but I can't...I won't because I have to save room for the good stuff.

I also miss the convenience of finding something to eat wherever I am. My new lifestyle takes a lot of planning. I pack a lunch with Snacks every day for work.

I can totally relate to Butterthebean about reaching out to grab crap in the grocery store. It's odd. I will want something, but I think it's more of old habits that are refusing to die rather than me legitimately wanting junk food.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

chips and salsa from my fave Mexican restaurant.

It's amazing how much our brain changes with our body. I am pre op and used to love on carbs! Pasta pizza breads bring it on!! Even fruity drinks like snapple and orange juice. I hardly drank Water. I've been on a pre op liquid diet since the 7th and I couldn't stay further away from these things! I go to the grocery store and these things don't phase me. I smell McDonald's and am able to drive past without even thinking about it. If I had a steak dinner with veggies and toast I'd prob eat the steak only!

I'm 3 1/2 weeks out and I'm all of a sudden obsessed with recipes and new meals for my family. But only thing I can honestly say I miss or even will miss is pizza and chilli cheese fries ! Lol which is why I got so big in the first place so I'll stay away. Besides I can't imagine eating any of that right now. I cud never finish it!