Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Too Fast, Meal Times

What does eating too fast mean to you? How long does it take to eat a meal, snack, 1/2 cup or so? Trying to practice some now.

How many times are you chewing?

I am amazed about different food tastes completely chewed up. Sometimes, not so good.

Thanks in advance!

Still using small utensils?

When I was getting the post surgery/pre-solid food talk from my NUT I was told to chew each bite a minimum of 30 times each. and that the average meal should take 30-45 minutes to eat. I'm lucky if I can stretch my meals out to 20-25 minutes though, and I'm not eating fast at all.

In the beginning I had to force myself to eat slowly, but chewing was not such an issue with soft mushy foods, hitting solids was a different story as I would feel the sensation of food being sort of stuck for a bit...as I've seen models of the sleeved stomach it is clear there is a bend near the top that food needs to move through...that bend is what I feel at times, so I slow myself down...and kind of eat in increments taking about 30 minutes. No more pounding food down like the old days! BTW I'm just short of 5 months out.

This is the hardest for me. I work hard to slow down but sometimes I don't. I have had no difficulties with eating. I sometimes have to just eat what I know will fill me up and leave it at that. Not always that easy, especially when eating out. :)

When I was getting the post surgery/pre-solid food talk from my NUT I was told to chew each bite a minimum of 30 times each. and that the average meal should take 30-45 minutes to eat. I'm lucky if I can stretch my meals out to 20-25 minutes though' date=' and I'm not eating fast at all.[/quote']

That's what I was told, too. Trying to get a mental picture of it! 30 to 45 mins seems long unless I take extended breaks.

I don't have 45 minutes to eat at work usually away from my work area.

@nate - I really dig your "tried it at home" profile pic

This is the hardest for me. I work hard to slow down but sometimes I don't. I have had no difficulties with eating. I sometimes have to just eat what I know will fill me up and leave it at that. Not always that easy' date=' especially when eating out. :)[/quote']

One of my kids has some digestive issues from birth. She has always eaten small and slow. She is 13 now. We will be eating much the same... Can't get on her for picky eating anymore, think I will understand it now more than ever. When she is suddenly done eating, that it it.

In the beginning I had to force myself to eat slowly' date=' but chewing was not such an issue with soft mushy foods, hitting solids was a different story as I would feel the sensation of food being sort of stuck for a bit...as I've seen models of the sleeved stomach it is clear there is a bend near the top that food needs to move through...that bend is what I feel at times, so I slow myself down...and kind of eat in increments taking about 30 minutes. No more pounding food down like the old days! BTW I'm just short of 5 months out.[/quote']

Good stomach visual, thanks!

What does eating too fast mean to you? How long does it take to eat a meal, snack, 1/2 cup or so? Trying to practice some now.

How many times are you chewing?

I am amazed about different food tastes completely chewed up. Sometimes, not so good.

Thanks in advance!

Still using small utensils?

I typically eat about 1/2 cup of food ("solid" food...not mushy/pureed/etc) in a "meal". Because my intake is still so limited, I focus primarily on Protein sources for my "meals", and save veggies for "snacks" (I love 2 TBSP of hummus with 6-7 baby carrots to dip in it!!). It usually takes me 45 minutes to eat my "meals"...if I'm having a slow-eating day, it can take more than an hour. (Yes...some days its easier for me to eat, other days not so easy.)

Regardless of what I'm eating, I take tiny bites (I use cocktail forks, and baby-size spoons, along with dessert plates/bowls, so it "looks" like I'm eating a plate/bowl full.), and chew until its liquid in my mouth (literally). I don't count chews....I work for texture. (To give you an idea of how small my bites are, I had golf-ball sized chicken meatballs for dinner last night...and got 14 bites out of each meatball....I mean TINY. LOL)

I started eating like this about 2 months prior to my surgery, so its second nature for me now...and I'm SO grateful for that!!! Behavior change is tough for anybody....doing it before you physically have to will only make your post-surgical journey that much easier!

Oh...and "eating too fast" means 2 hours of almost painful discomfort, shortness of breath, and misery. I work hard to avoid it! LOL

Always remember....when eating, at least...less is more, and liquid is GREAT! LOL

All the best,

Laura

I typically eat about 1/2 cup of food ("solid" food...not mushy/pureed/etc) in a "meal". Because my intake is still so limited' date=' I focus primarily on Protein sources for my "meals", and save veggies for "snacks" (I love 2 TBSP of hummus with 6-7 baby carrots to dip in it!!). It usually takes me 45 minutes to eat my "meals"...if I'm having a slow-eating day, it can take more than an hour. (Yes...some days its easier for me to eat, other days not so easy.)

Regardless of what I'm eating, I take tiny bites (I use cocktail forks, and baby-size spoons, along with dessert plates/bowls, so it "looks" like I'm eating a plate/bowl full.), and chew until its liquid in my mouth (literally). I don't count chews....I work for texture. (To give you an idea of how small my bites are, I had golf-ball sized chicken meatballs for dinner last night...and got 14 bites out of each meatball....I mean TINY. LOL)

I started eating like this about 2 months prior to my surgery, so its second nature for me now...and I'm SO grateful for that!!! Behavior change is tough for anybody....doing it before you physically have to will only make your post-surgical journey that much easier!

Oh...and "eating too fast" means 2 hours of almost painful discomfort, shortness of breath, and misery. I work hard to avoid it! LOL

Always remember....when eating, at least...less is more, and liquid is GREAT! LOL

All the best,

Laura[/quote']

Thanks! Do you ever just leave the table and come back? Not sure I could sit that long!

One of my kids has some digestive issues from birth. She has always eaten small and slow. She is 13 now. We will be eating much the same... Can't get on her for picky eating anymore, think I will understand it now more than ever. When she is suddenly done eating, that it it.

It sounds like your daughter is the perfect one to model yourself after. I am still struggling with this, but I have found that when I make a conscious effort to slow down, I am able to eat a little more without feeling sick at the end. Like lollyfidy I don't count chews but go for texture. I make sure everything has been chewed down to mush or paste...no chunks left. I also try to set my fork down between bites. That is the hardest for me.

Thanks! Do you ever just leave the table and come back? Not sure I could sit that long!

There are times when I walk away from my plate, and come back to it a little later...particularly on those days I have a harder time eating. I plan my days out ahead of time (in a "Diet Minder" journal), so I know exactly how many grams of Protein I'm going to have, if I eat everything listed, so I can manage my food over the course of a day.

The hardest period was several weeks ago, when I was really missing the "enjoyment of eating". I felt like I wasn't getting to taste my food long enough to be fully satisfied. (It was all psychological...had nothing to do with being "hungry.") I've started focusing more on the flavors of things (and started using more spices/herbs/flavorings when cooking, to increase the experience), while I'm chewing things to death, and now find that I'm completely satisfied when my baby sleeve decides its had enough. :) Its truly a beautiful thing....to order a small enchilada for dinner, and be completely happy to push the plate away after eating just half of it (and none of the Beans or rice)!! The poor waiter was so worried something was wrong with it....til I asked for a to-go box for the other half! LOL

As i'm reading this post, I'm having flash backs about how I get so frustrated when the other people I'm eating are shoveling their food down. It drives me crazy. i use to be like that but now, I'm like, what's the hurry, my foods not going anywhere. When I'm done I can't help but push my plate away. I do have secret thoughts of wishing I could eat more because it's so tasty. But quickly reframe to how I love my skinniness! :) LOL

As i'm reading this post, I'm having flash backs about how I get so frustrated when the other people I'm eating are shoveling their food down. It drives me crazy. i use to be like that but now, I'm like, what's the hurry, my foods not going anywhere. When I'm done I can't help but push my plate away. I do have secret thoughts of wishing I could eat more because it's so tasty. But quickly reframe to how I love my skinniness! :) LOL

OMG!!! I am daily disgusted watching other people eat!!! I know that I used to eat like that (taking huge bites, eating without tasting, etc), but DANG!!!! LOL

thanks u guys are really helping!