Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Macho Cheese Doritos

Let me tell you about carb addiction. My cousin's son is autistic and eventually my cousin gave up and lets him eat what he wants. This kids diet consists of chips, fried potatoes, one brand of white bread and only one type of spaghetti. He will not touch dairy, meat, Beans, fruits or vegetables. He exists on simple carbs. I suggested Protein shakes, but to get him to drink 8 oz would entail three hours or retching and gagging. Same with any other food. Isn't it funny that his drug of choice is carbohydrates?

This kid is the poster child for carb addiction. He looks like hell and I am surprised he's still alive. He's not fat because he barely eats at all. He is 5'5" and probably 80 pounds. His skin is blue tinged. Despite this he is getting taller and he is getting huge stretch marks on his skin. It has no elasticity.

A note on rice: I know it's a staple and a must in Southern cooking - especially Cajun and Creole, but white rice is completely, nutritionally devoid. Some can never tolerate it, but others do just fine. Just for experiment sake, try brown rice or better yet, quinoa. The stuff is high in calories, but loaded with Protein. The texture reminds me of cous cous and absorbs flavors like rice does.

My vices now are diet soda and Crystal Light. Stupid huh? I'm all healthy except for the chemical mixture I constantly drink.

Wow! As a confirmed conspiracy theorist, I absolutely HAVE to get this book now. I'm convinced that the premise of this book isn't just "theory" though. Think about it: Lay's slogan is "Betcha can't eat just one!" Hm. They're pretty much telling us that they know we can't stop eating them.

I'm curious though, lollyfidy1965. How does knowledge and understanding of the process make it easier to resist unhealthful food? The disgust and horror factor? Like, I don't eat hot dogs because I learned what was actually in them.

Or should I just read the book myself? B)

Ya'll know what? I used to teach years ago and I always told my co-worker that there must be something in the food because children these days are different emotionally and intellectually. It had gotten to the point where I could tell a student, "take this paper and put it in the trash" and by the time they walk to the trash can, they've forgotten what they're supposed to do with the paper. They are having trouble focusing, learning, with fine motor skills,

I am not exaggerating.

I also have to wonder where all of these developmental issues are coming from all of a sudden. I'm only 31 and when I was in school, we didn't hear about ADD/ADHD/Autism. The main issues when I was growing up were Down Syndrome and physical disabilities. We already know our food supply is more chemicals than food these days and I'd really like to see some research on the issue. While I think that these diseases have a long history, I have to wonder why they went from being rare to rather prevalent.

Ya'll know what? I used to teach years ago and I always told my co-worker that there must be something in the food because children these days are different emotionally and intellectually. It had gotten to the point where I could tell a student' date=' "take this paper and put it in the trash" and by the time they walk to the trash can, they've forgotten what they're supposed to do with the paper. They are having trouble focusing, learning, with fine motor skills,

I am not exaggerating.

I also have to wonder where all of these developmental issues are coming from all of a sudden. I'm only 31 and when I was in school, we didn't hear about ADD/ADHD/Autism. The main issues when I was growing up were Down Syndrome and physical disabilities. We already know our food supply is more chemicals than food these days and I'd really like to see some research on the issue. While I think that these diseases have a long history, I have to wonder why they went from being rare to rather prevalent.[/quote']

My bf mother is a special education teacher and she shares these same exact thoughts.

ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL which part of "lifestyle change" do you not understand????????

has anybody had nacho cheese doritos and how far out were you

oh pardon moi, I should have quoted you first....... (see my prior post)... *still chuckling*

oh darn they took the arseless chaps picture down... sorry moderators, i just HAD to do it :( lol

Sorry, but I need to add in one more correction... "assless chaps" is redundant. What other kind of chaps are there?

(this is actually a running joke in my office... you'd be amazed at how often the phrase "assless chaps" comes up...)

It's more fun to say "assless chaps."

oh darn they took the arseless chaps picture down... sorry moderators, i just HAD to do it :( lol

I MISSED IT!!!!!!!???

Also, I think the rise in the autism spectrum disorders have everything to do with food - not only what the mother and father ate their whole life and the mother during pregnancy, but what the child eats now.

A child is born autistic because the genes and the damage to them and the brain and the gut have already been done. What is miraculous though is that once some of these kids go on a complete casein and gluten free diet, they tend to make remarkable strides.

Problem is: most turn into carb junkies and have severe food aversions and problems with smell and texture.

I think a lot of kids and adults were misdiagnosed years ago, but there is still a rise in occurrence. Did I hear 1 in 100???!!!!!!

I really do think it's all about the food. Certain genetics I think just put some people at a higher risk.

I've found that giving in to my cravings to lick certain food items is really helpful. =) last night I cooked one of those Velvetta box meals for the family cause it was easy. It smelled sooo good. I gave in and had a lick of the sauce. Ya know what... yuck. My tastes have changed so much already. Instead of craving it the whole time, i found out i didnt want it anyway and enjoyed my little cup of Soup juice. No one made it to this forum for having the will some act that you should. I hope if i ever do make it to the point of licking a dorito.. that it no longer takes good. Wouldn't it be great if all my food weaknesses did that. I bet they won't but I'll deal with that from day to day. On my birthday i might even have a small piece of cake (gasps). But i think I'll be just fine... And i won't need counseling for it.

Exactly! The dietician who helped me with anorexia really explained the power that labelling food can have! If you say it's bad, naughty, not good- well we're descended from Adam & Eve, we're all gonna taste the forbidden fruit... But, once you taste it (with mindfulness and acceptance rather than guilt and secretiveness) you realise it was never that good to begin with and you can get over your obsession with it! I found that with Peanut Butter. After I gave myself permission to eat it, I ate Peanut Butter sandwiches exclusively for three days straight and haven't touched them since (8 years now)...

A "taste" is what "normal" people do all the time! If we give ourselves permission to taste first then we can make the decision whether or not to eat the thing itself...

Ya'll know what? I used to teach years ago and I always told my co-worker that there must be something in the food because children these days are different emotionally and intellectually. It had gotten to the point where I could tell a student' date=' "take this paper and put it in the trash" and by the time they walk to the trash can, they've forgotten what they're supposed to do with the paper. They are having trouble focusing, learning, with fine motor skills,

I am not exaggerating.

I also have to wonder where all of these developmental issues are coming from all of a sudden. I'm only 31 and when I was in school, we didn't hear about ADD/ADHD/Autism. The main issues when I was growing up were Down Syndrome and physical disabilities. We already know our food supply is more chemicals than food these days and I'd really like to see some research on the issue. While I think that these diseases have a long history, I have to wonder why they went from being rare to rather prevalent.[/quote']

Couldn't possibly be from a complete lack of parenting, or possibly the over prescribing of medications for anything & everything could it. I don't disagree that most of our food today is garbage, but there are too many highly intelligent & productive people out there that live on processed foods.

Couldn't possibly be from a complete lack of parenting' date=' or possibly the over prescribing of medications for anything & everything could it. I don't disagree that most of our food today is garbage, but there are too many highly intelegance & productive people out there that live on processed foods.[/quote']

Exactly....I was practically raised on processed foods and look how good I turned out ....er....uh....wait.... bad example.

Ahhh butter beat me to it lol I was about to say, "yeah, look at me"

Hehe :P

Couldn't possibly be from a complete lack of parenting, or possibly the over prescribing of medications for anything & everything could it. I don't disagree that most of our food today is garbage, but there are too many highly intelligent & productive people out there that live on processed foods.

Genetic susceptibility is the key I would think. Certain genes when mutated can really screw and organism up.

Bad parenting? That was the early 20th century answer to autism. They used to think that mothers who were distant and didn't bond with their children caused it.

Also, of you've ever had to try and feed a child like that, you might get an understanding of what it might be like trying to get them to eat certain foods or sometime to eat at all. Sometime even just getting them to eat ANYTHING is enough. It's a living nightmare and I am in awe of parents who manage to love and live every day with these kids. It's beyond difficult.

Medications are another problem, yes. The over prescribed antibiotics are making sure that resistant strains of bacteria are evolving. I might get flamed for this, but I think anti-depressants are over-prescribed. Even these PPIs a lot of us take without bothering to find out if there is even a problem before we take them.

I threw mine out because I learned that when you stop them you get a rebound effect that increases acid production. When that happen people go back on them. They also decrease the acid we especially need to break down Protein. My doctor also wanted me to take statins. My liver says: "No thank you,"

So yeah, I think that meds are over-prescribed and I think doctors really do not know the full effect they have on a body long term or even the impact of future offspring. Even if we come clean off meds, they are being fed to the animals we eat.

Makes a body wonder.

Another issue could be the amount. I think our parents and grandparents had it right when they made us eat cooked food at home more than eating out. These children are spending their formative years on McDonald's, hot Cheetos and milkshakes and by the time they start school, the damage is apparent. I taught Kindergarten and they were already totally zombie'd (coined) out.

The food you eat, fuels your brain.

I had a student with Asperger's that was really bright and was able to function reasonably well, but after lunch (school lunch), it was like he was in a parallel universe. Once he had to take his afternoon pill...terrible. Part of the problem is that doctors don't really learn anything fecund about nutrition outside of what we all were taught when we were in 1st grade.

The worst part is that there are bunches of people getting rich off of it (ie. pharmaceutical industry). Back to conspiracy mode, the better foods are usually in the more affluent areas. I'm fortunate that I live down the street from a Whole Foods, a produce market, and another holistic grocery store. But, there are people who don't and are being shortchanged because of it. Even Wal-Mart is shameful (which is why I avoid it).

If I had it my way, fast food would be the most expensive food item one could purchase; not fresh meat and produce. The Big Mac would be $20.

Hmmm, I think I was addicted to meat not carbs... I would crave grilled chicken, steak, the meat in lasagne... And ditch the rest of dinner...

My feet are huge compared to everyone else in my family (I'm a size 9.5-10, they're all 5s-6s)! Mum thinks it was the growth hormones in all the chicken I ate!!

I was addicted to everything. I am glad that I have to eat so much Protein, because I an leave the carbs. but I could not go without meat. Just bought some ribeyes. YUM!