Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need NSAID info

All these statements are my experience being an RN and some from personal experience. Also take what I say as opinion and not treatments or diagnosis. Always check with your Doc if you have major concerns.

I will preface this to say that Tylenol is a good pain reliever and a good Fever reducer. That said, it takes two tylenol pills 24 hours to get completely through your system. So if you take more than two a day you should rethink that. Tylenol is excreted through the liver like most medications. The liver is the waste cleaner of the body. IT extracts all the unused stuff we put into our bodies when it is working properly.

Benadryl can increase your blood pressure and also is excreted through the liver. I used to take 50 mg to help me sleep at night for about a month and then decided that was stupid and harmful to my system. It suppresses the bodies natural immune system to allergies. Occasional use of Benadryl is Ok in my opinion but not an every night thing. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Unisom is a good sleep aid. I have used it in the past. If you want some natural remedies. Chamomile tea is good. It relaxes you and there is NO caffeine in it. A nice warm bath right before bed will help you relax. Yoga can help you relax. Warm milk if you can tolerate it.

Teresa, Have you tried taking the herbal supplement, Melatonin? I get it at Sam's (our wholesale warehouse) for $6, for #300 3mg. small tablets. I've had insomnia for years. Melatonin is what our bodies are supposed to create for sleep. These have helped me.

Tylenol p.m. is just acetaminophen plus benadryl. Benadryl is the only decongestant my husband (transplant patient) is okeyed to take. liquid benadryl is what the hospital gives a patient before a heart catherization to make them groggy.

I agree with Lisa. I don't think it's good to take pain meds. every day. Won't your body build up a resistance to them after a while, where you'll need to take more and more for the same results?

I also swear by Melatonin. I used to take Valerian until being banded, but couldn't take the idea of crushing those smelly tablets. But Melatonin tablets are tiny, and work like a charm.

Diphenhydramine works to put us to sleep, sure, but I always found it stuck around in my system the next day. It was always hard to clear my head and I never felt like I was getting enough sleep (until the next evening, when I was wide awake as usual). The natural products don't have this hangover effect at all--what a huge difference!

And, of course, exercise is the best sleep aid there is as long as it's done more than a couple of hours before bed. I sleep like a baby (BETTER than a baby, that should be) when I'm getting enough exercise.

Alex, you're right! Exercise will definitely help you sleep. My husband and I have been walking 2 miles each evening after dinner. By the time I take my shower and get my jammies on, my bed is calling me. I've slept sounder than I have in years. (This from a person whose biggest daily event used to be walking across the house to get a glass of ice Water from the kitchen.)

Hi everybody,

My local doctor is aware that I take this daily and I also told Lopez's staff. Nobody (the drs.) has ever really said anything negative about it but they just wondered why I did it. I have taken Melatonin in the past but had no clue what it was supposed to do. Just knew it was supposed to be good. I'll start on that again and work on natural sleep. This last December I did the sleep study and have mild/moderate sleep apnea but never got on the CPAP or anything. I just like that feeling of "not being able to keep my eyes open" just before I drift off. I think I am kind of a light sleeper so I just like the deep sleep it gives me but I'll try weaning off of it. There have been times where I haven't had it and slept just fine. Thanks again for all the wise insight, Teresa

Insomnia runs deep in my family. I have the CPAP machine, which helps loads. My weird sister sleeps with earplugs every single night.

I decided to try the earplugs to drown out all noise, and I slept like a rock. They have these squishy ones now that you roll up in your fingers to squish really small. Then push them in your ear and as they expand they fit the contour of your ear perfectly and drown out all those irritating little noises. You should try them - it's a very comfy deep sleep.

We have a small air filter in our bedroom. It not only cleans the air, but makes a constant soft sound that drowns out my tinnitis (constant ringing in the ears).

Thanks for all of the helpful information. I think I'll try both of those ideas. When I was a baby my mom said she used to get me to sleep by vacuuming or running the blow dryer:) Best wishes, Teresa

On my list from the Dr. on medications to aviod is mainly aspirin and ibuprofen.

Ex: Advil, BC powder, Pepto Bismol, Excedrin, Mortrin, Alieve

Safe for joint pain: Vioxx, Celebrex, and Mobic

Erythromycin should only be taken with caution and your physician's approval, becuase of stomach irritation.

I was given Toradol by IV along with Fentanol for pain. I was sent home with vicodin but I couldn't handle it. Makes me nauseated. Plus the feel of it just sitting there UGH! So, my doc said to try ibuprofen. I took two pieces of a crushed pill and said NOPE! He said to take 6 tsp of liquid ibuprofen. The children's type. I took 3 tsp instead of the 6tsp. I took it 3 times per day. I stopped the vicodin my first night home. I only took the liquid ibuprofen for a week. My surgeon says it does wonders for the band swelling. It really made a huge difference too. One day I could hardly have 2 oz of Water. The next day I was drinking 6 oz then 8 then 16 oz of broth at a time.

Everything I read said not to take NSAIDS, but I have heard that some surgeons are saying that isn't the case all the time. I guess people who have major restriction or sylastic rings around their pouches need to be careful that an ibuprofen tab won't sit there and eat at the stomach as it breaks down. If it works on down through the pouch quickly like the liquid does then it isn't really something to worry about.

At least that is what I was told.

Kerri

Actually, I know very little about this except...it's not the physical action of the NSAIDs vs. the band that they are concerned about. It's the chemical action. NSAIDs thin the mucous lining of the stomach. and that's something we need to be working well to protect the physical integrity of the stomach that we have already altered.

Hey all,

Well damn, I tried to sleep last night with no pills and a fan on but now I remember why I liked the pills. As soon as my head hits the pillow it goes into thought mode. I think and think and think but no sleep...:think. I finally had to get up and take a half a dose at midnight. Tonight I'll turn to chamomile. Try something new. Teresa

Teresa, I had the same problem for many years. Major insomnia problems. My doctors did sleep studies and all sorts of stuff to get me to sleep.

Do you stay on a sleep schedule? It's very important for people like us (brains a-runnin) to go to bed the same time each night. I have to be in bed by 10:15 and get up the same time every day. Also, don't drink caffeine. Even one cup of coffee keeps my thoughts running. coffee was hard for me to give up, so I switched to Decaf with just a shot of regular and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (I read cinnamon is helpful to prevent diabetes II.)

Start winding down before you go to bed. Turn off all the lights nice and low an hour before bed to trick your hormones into getting sleepy.

Trust me, I nearly ended up in a rubber room years ago from lack of sleep, but with some discipline, you can shut your brain down. Really, you can.

Hey Lisa,

Thanks for the confidence. I don't think I ever had a real problem during my formative years with regards to sleep unless something was troubling me or I came up with some new great thought. Who knows... I do always go to bed after the 11 pm news and usually have been lying in bed watching tv or reading for a couple of hours before bed. The last few nights I have been on the computer a little later and just get in bed in time for news. I'll try to figure it out and keep trying relaxing techniques. I do drink 1 coffee a day but it is always in the morning. I need that buzz for my work. LOL. I have been a housekeeper for residential customers for 12 years and have also been the assistant inn-keeper for a very upscale bed and Breakfast for the last 7 years. I just graduated from college but will go on and do the master's teaching program. As you can imagine my mind is always racing and creating to do lists. Thanks for all your advice, T