Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Or Lap Band? How Do I Decide Which Is Best For Me?

According to the US Government's National Weather Service, the odds of being hit by lightning in your lifetime is one in 6250. So, you're almost twice as likely to be hit by lightning than have something go wrong in a blood transfusion. I'm not trying to diminish the fear, but you have to put it in perspective.

Do you take anxiety meds? I do, but I still get irrational fears especially around my health!

I personally have anxiety, period! Lol. Unfortunately, that's just me... so, fears around me health/ surgery are just increased!

The drugs take the edge off, or I'd never leave the house!!! Lol

I have no anxiety issues at all. I however don't make an effort to put myself in harms way if I can avoid it. This means I rarely play outside in lightening storms and I don't or didn't willingly put myself in any risk factor level for hepatitis. I have a small child who needs me and as such I try to make good decisions to stay here on this earth for him. Yes life is full of risks....but only an idiot totally dismisses them.

I would look in several places for information...on this forum read throught the posts under lap band to sleeve revisions. Read Sleeve success stories. Also search for post about would you do it again on this forum to get the pros and cons of sleeve. Then go to the Lap Band forum and read the success stories, but also search for posts for the struggles people are having. I would look at success rates, weight loss totals, long term weight loss maintenance and complications. Finally I would ask your surgeon.

My two cents. I was planning on getting the lap band. Several reasons I chose sleeve instead:

1. better overall percentage of weight loss with sleeve vs band

2. faster weight loss with sleeve vs band

3. no maintenence (fills, unfills etc.) on sleeve

4. no foreign device in my body that could errode, slip or cause other complications.

I am 11 years older than you and had starting weight of 272 at 5'9". I had no health issues other than mild sleep apnea and being overweight. I am glad I made the choice I did.

Do a search here for band to sleeve revisions. It may help educate your decision, with words of experience. Best of luck with journey!

Thanks for your advice, traceyinflorida and shapeshifter! I'm looking into some of your suggestions.

okay here are my two cents worth. I was banded in 07 i am down 190 pounds.. I started at 424 and was 42 years old. The band "saved my life" i still have 50 or 60 pounds i want / need to loose. I started talking to my RN friend who also turned into a coordinatior for our Doctor, about getting plastics in next year and what the costs would be and what would be able to do. When i had my band, they were doing 20-25 bands a week plus other surgeries. They are now removing 5-7 a week going to sleeve or bypass. so 25% are revising now. there are complications coming out and she says now that it is not if there will be issues but when. the band will fail and if it does it could be and ER surgery. So on October 16th, i will be going in for a revision. Praying that I am ready for those wonderful 30 days of liquids and mushys!!! Good luck with your decision it is a life changer!

I have no anxiety issues at all. I however don't make an effort to put myself in harms way if I can avoid it. This means I rarely play outside in lightening storms and I don't or didn't willingly put myself in any risk factor level for hepatitis. I have a small child who needs me and as such I try to make good decisions to stay here on this earth for him. Yes life is full of risks....but only an idiot totally dismisses them.

Unfortunately, we're constantly putting ourselves in risk... whether it be riding in a car or crossing the street. I assume you ride in cars and I'm guessing our chances of being in a car accident are much higher than unwanted effects from a blood transfusion. All I'm trying to say is the risk of a blood transfusion from getting the sleeve is probably low and the risk of contracting something from that blood transfusion is very low as well. One shouldn't not get the sleeve b/c of a potential blood transfusion.... it's just not a good enough reason (unless, of course, they're a hemophiliac or have some other blood disorder). If one used this as a reason to not get the gastric sleeve operation, they should perhaps not ride in cars as well.

All that being said, Iggychic, I am sorry you had complications! That truly must have been horrible and very disappointing.

I debated between the band and sleeve too. Many of the reasons I decided on the sleeve have already been listed here but one of the huge reasons was that I talked to the nurse during one of my appts. She was pregnant and going to have surgery after the baby was born. I asked if she minded telling me which one she was doing and she said "hands down the sleeve". Another nurse there also said the same thing. She had the RNY 15 years ago and if she were to do it now she would do the sleeve. They work with patients every day with all 3 types of surgery and those words spoke volumes to me!

Suepeeps, I agree with you! Hearing someone who sees patients everyday endorse one procedure over another would speak volumes to me, too. I'm going to ask my surgeon my tried and true question: "If I were your daughter getting weight loss surgery, which would you want her to choose...."

To be clear....I wasn't worried about one single risk (ie transfusion for instance) but that with each piled on procedure my risks increased. Surgery of any type is more risky than riding in a car. It's something to study and understand, not trivialize. I appreciate your kind words, but if you do remember you asked for opinions and I shared them. If you really wanted true opinions than my answer would be a fair and concise opinion. If you just wanted to hear that everyone wants a sleeve so go for it...well you can ask for that as well. I might of misunderstood what you wanted to get out of your question and for that I am sorry.

Suepeeps' date=' I agree with you! Hearing someone who sees patients everyday endorse one procedure over another would speak volumes to me, too. I'm going to ask my surgeon my tried and true question: "If I were your daughter getting weight loss surgery, which would you want her to choose...."[/quote']

Btw....please don't do this to your doctor!!!! Ethically they actually can not answer this question. It goes against their oath. If they do answer this question than you should find another doctor!

i was in the same boat as you. but my bmi is also VERY high and my surgeon continuously suggested bypass or sleeve. i tried to convince myself otherwise every other day! ive seen my friend go through the journey of the lapband and just reading about it puts it into perspective. lets put it this way theres a reason why "band to sleeve revision' is a sub topic under forums. it happens too often too many times.

im scared of having that port under my skin and with a 2 year old, going to school and working full time fills and unfills are just not something id like to add to my schedule. id rather heal up and be done :) and im also scared of my intenstines being rearranged which is why im with the sleeve (and a million other reasons) i would read up and youtube as much as you can about it.

i personally have made up my mind good luck to youuuu!

OMG I'm so freaked out now. I had finally gotten myself mentally prepared then i read this post....My surgery is Sept. 17...#totally freaked out :(