Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can coughing cause slippage?

Well I've been battling a cold for a little over a week, and I'm wondering if my excess coughing has caused something to happen with my band. It started where I couldn't keep down solids... instantly it would come back up. Then I thought maybe my esophogus was just inflamed from coughing and it was affecting my band. So I went straight to liquids, and things like pudding, cottage cheese... still, it ends up coming up. The only thing I can keep down are Protein Drinks if I sip them slowly. It's been about 4 days like this, and it's not very fun. I don't really miss eating, I am just afraid something is wrong with my band.

Has anyone had any similar problems when it comes to being sick/coughing? Should I be concerned?

by the way, I was banded in December of last year and had a recent fill about 2 months ago, with no issues.

thanks for your help.

andrea

Andrea...

It's more than likely a combo of irritation and congestion. Sinus season gives me fits. If I have sinus drainage at night, it clogs up my band something awful.

I think it's too early to tell. If it goes on for more than a week, or if you can't keep liquids down, you need to see your doctor. Is it convenient for you to go in for a fluoro exam?

More than likely, Carlene is right. You've agitated the esophagus and it's become a vicious cycle of inflammation/throwing up, etc. However, it has been said that severe bouts of extreme coughing can cause slippage. I would back of any solids, try liquids, including warm liquids only for a few days. Even things like yogurt, pudding etc - but if things don't improve within a week, I'd sure let me doc know what's going on.

This is just my opinion and what I might do for myself. Please consult your doctor if you are truly concerned.

I am currently suffering with a sinus infection and bronchitis and have been on liquids/mushies for the past 2 days. Last winter I had a bad cold and the same thing happened.... I was suddenly very tight. The increased restriction is probably related to inflamation and not due to slippage. Be sure to get plenty of liquids in until your cold passes, and maybe even stick to liquids/mushies until you are back to 100%.

I have never had this happen but I have read about others who have....and my doc told me that if the band could slip that easy then who would want it????? ( I am always asking him if I jog will my band slip...if I cough to hard will it slip..if I laugh to hard will it slip :heh: :heh: :heh: and he just shakes his head and laughs) but it makes sense if you think about it...I mean women get pregnant with the band (no fill/restriction of course) and they have morning sickness and their band survives..so I wouldnt think a bout with bronchitis would cause the band to slip...if I have to worry myself sick everytime I get a cold or the stomach flu that my band might slip..then I am going to sue the maker of this darn finicky band that sometimes I love and sometimes I hate....heheheheh...giggling...I think you are fine and just iritated...hang in there..do liquids for a few days and dont panic....

When I had my surgery I came home from hospital with a cough (a dry but strong cough).....I was soooo paranoid that it would cause my band to slip that I rang the surgeon. He assured me that it was VERY unlikely for a band to slip from coughing.

I agree with above posts...it's more likely to just be from congestion.

My band always tightens from illness, menses, stress, exhaustion. I agree that it's probably inflammation related. You can try warm liquids sipped slowly, though I personally do better with slushy drinks than I do warm ones when I'm tight. If warm doesn't work, break out your blender and ice. Keep the fluids going in to avoid dehydration. Try sleeping propped up on extra pillows to prevent regurgitation. If you stop being able to get anything down, or find your saliva won't go down, get to a doctor so you don't get aspiration pneumonia.

I started taking airborne during winter months, and have used the CVS generic brand. It's an effervescent you dissolve in Water, like alkaseltser. It tastes like orange tang. I use it anytime I'm exposed at work or home to someone who's got a respiratory illness, and I swear it works for me! I haven't had a cold in 2 years. Last year every nurse on our unit had a bad cold, and I doubled up on the airborne, taking it every morning and again at bed time, and I didn't get it! Otherwise I take it once a day during cold season.