Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Much Help Will I Need In Hospital Vs Home?

Hey everyone,

Just trying to figure out if I should have hubby take the week of my surgery off or the week after. He can't take both weeks off, so trying to decide what makes the most sense. He could just take day of my surgery off and then take off a couple hours to bring me home two days later, then take 3-4 days the next week while I am home. The other alternative would be for him to take the day of my surgery (Tuesday) and the rest of that week. So he would be off for my surgery, the two days I am in the hospital and then the two days after I get out. I am getting sleeved on a Tuesday, was it helpful to have someone at the hospital with you those two days and your first two days home? Would I be better off having him just take the day of my surgery off and then my first whole week home? I really can't decide what is more helpful or needed. ugh. Advice? Experiences?

Thanks!

I would think it would be better if he took off after you were released in the hospital, since he really can't do anything for you while you are there and the nurses take realy good care of you. but that's just my two cents....

I would say the week after. My BF can't take off more than a day (brand new job) so i asked him to take off the day I come home so I have him there with me.

I would be another one who would suggest that he takes off when you get home.

I agree in the hospital you would have nurse to help and remember you would be walking so you always can come and ask nurse if you need something.....

at home you would need help..

I posted this after I left the hospital. I hope it helps. One thing that i would add is take a pillow with you for the care ride home.

I did it. I lost it on July 31. Feeling like I had another cesarean birth. I'm just glad there isn't a newborn to take care of. I've finally lost all the operative gases and can feel my bowels again. No movement, but I can feel them. Hubby had to help with the shower which made me feel so much better. I am below my presurgery weight. The tots are coping well with Mommy not being active and Dad doing the cooking. I think they are tired of turkey sandwiches and hot dogs. It has been encouraging for the tots to say I love you Mum and give kisses while I slept it off on day 3 when I got home.

I was extremely nauseated days 2-4, but keeping up on the antinausea meds really helps. It has subsided. The abdominal shots aren't too bad. My hub is a former medic so it helps. I do recommend if you have any feeling to tinkle get up and go. You may think you have time, but the pain meds affect you differently.

I am not dehydrated and keep a bottle or glass in my hand at all times. Not liking the unflavored unjury Protein, but the chocolate is great. It was hard to have the tots and dad eat chickfila in front of me, but I'm not going to cheat and stick with it. I want something meaty, salty, crunchy like an addict needs a hit. I know its in my head, but am finding it difficult to seperate at times.

I can not say that wearing a bra feels good. I dug out the shelf bra tops and sports bras because I have an incision right on the line. I stopped taking the pain meds on day 6, hubby went to work and I'm alone with the tots and all went well. Still need to nap and go slow, but feeling much better than I thought I would.

I had a tough time at the hospital, but the nurses were there to help me and they were wonderful. The day I went home I mostly slept. After that I could have taken care of myself with some advance preparation although I was glad to have my husband home to help me out. I go along with those who say having him home right after you come home is the best. If that is not possible, you will probably do alright alone the week after surgery. This advice assumes you do not have very young children who need to be picked up and otherwise taken care of. If you have young children, in my opinion, you will need someone with you right after you get home the first week and the next week, too.

My whole family, mom, dad and hubby (teenage kids stayed home....thank goodness) were at the hospital when I was put in my room after surgery. They all sat there watching me sleep. I finally sent them home! If you are there for a couple of days, it will be nice to have him come visit you after work to keep you company, but you should not need him to take off work to be with you. The nurses will take care of you. You may find that he can even go back to work after a couple days of you being home (unless you have kids to take care of- then take advantage of every second!!) If he can get the time off, but work is flexible enough for him to go back earlier if you are feeling okay, then he can save some of his vacation time for when you can both enjoy it. I was fully functional by my third day home from the hospital. I was tired, but functional!

Thanks everyone. I do have small kids, a 4 year old and 16 month old twins!! I have a babysitter that watches them when I work and she will be here to take care of them. I'm thinking if my hubby takes off that first week he will be able to take me and pick me up from the hospital and be home to help me on the day I come home which hopefully will be a thursday and the friday. He is off the weekend and if he went back to work on Monday that would be post op day 6 and I would be on my own. Someone will be there for the kids, but I will be making my own shakes etc.... Does that sound good? Was everyone pretty able to do for themselves by day 6? Mind you I had two C-sections and never took any pain meds once home, so this might be easy compared to that and taking care of twins after... HAHA....

By day 6 you should be fine (probably sooner) for stuff like making your own shakes etc. You will definitely want help with the kids. You cannot pick them up because you will not be allowed to lift more than 10 lbs. I was driving my son back and forth to Miami (2 hours each way) for a football camp by day 5 (I was off pain meds by day two in hospital)

I'm so glad I read this my op date is 30 days away and I'm excited but nervous. It is good to hear what other people say about post op (: