Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying On New Sizes Of Clothes

I'm having such a difficult time with clothes right now. I'm in between sizes and just know in my heart that I will make it to the smaller size next month. So, for motivation today I went to a normal clothing store (not plus) in the mall. I just wanted to shop by myself and have some self discovery because I'm feeling crappy about myself (stalled for 2 weeks), clothes I have are too big, next size down is a little snug.

I digress, anyway this pushy sales clerk comes over and starts pulling clothes for me to try. She eyes me up and down and starts pulling sizes. I figured I wasn't getting away from her unless I left the store and she must know what she's doing since she does this all day long. I didn't leave because I have been dreaming about shopping in this store for the last 3 years. So I decide to humor her. When I get to the dressing room, I discover that she pulls a size bigger than I am now (and remember I am close to the next size down) so technically she grabbed things 2 sizes too big. I stood in the fitting room crying, pissed off and deflated. I already have this internal struggle with my mind catching up to my smaller body. I'm working on convincing myself I am getting smaller and deserve to buy smaller clothes and then this happens.

Has this ever happened to anyone or is anyone else feeling out of sorts because you are in between sizes? I'm in a funk and shopping didn't help so maybe your words of wisdom or similar stories will. Help!

Yeah, it's already happened a few times - I FELT like I was already ready for the next size, but my body told me differently, and sometimes it seemed like forever till I got down that half size. But it DOES eventually happen, it's just very annoying till it does.

It's funny, though, this thing with perception of what size we are. I'm currently on vacation in another country and the people who are seeing me now haven't seen me since last summer (pre-op and at my heaviest then). Anyway, I've gotten some really flattering reactions, but the relative whom I staying with has been really funny about the whole thing. I was talking about going shopping at a bunch of different stores (for clothes, what else?) and when someone mentions a specific store, she says, "Oh, you won't find anything your size there, don't bother." I'm like, "But I told you I'm almost fitting into a size 12" (which the store definitely does carry), and she says, "Sorry, sorry, I didn't mean to insult you." Okay, fast forward ten days or so and today she hands me a discount coupon for a large size clothing website - technically I could still order their smallest size (12W) and it would probably still fit me for the next 2 weeks or so, but really, I was a little annoyed because at this point I think it's pretty clear that I'm shopping in the regular departments now (such a lovely experience, I must say). I'm going to put it down to a faulty memory because her memory really is quite bad, but still, her eyesight isn't as far as I know :(

But I digress. I can't wait to REALLY fit into the size 12s since my 14s are all really baggy on me, so yes, I do feel your pain - but as I said, this happened when I went from 18 to 16 and from 16 to 14, so trust me, you WILL get there.

You know there are some stores where everything runs smaller than in normal dept stores. This could be the case. Go to a different store and refuse help. Laugh, this is suppossed to be fun every step of the way.

It seems so silly to me to be bothered by this. I mean in the grand scheme of things this is a great problem to have, right? I'm sorry if I sound whiny, but needed assurance. You guys have helpe. Thanks!

Actually the mediums fit, but a little snug. So I think they are fitting true to size. It's winter clothes so maybe by winter they will fit better. Yikes! In the past (presleeve) if I've ever bought smaller clothes hoping to get in them, I never made it down to the size. I don't want to jinx myself. Thoughts? These clothes won't be around in a few months so I'll need to get them now if I want them. Do I get the smaller size?

If I'm in doubt, I always buy the next smaller size, especially if it's close to fitting. At the rate I'm shrinking, that tight size down will be too big in a few weeks anyway, so I may as well get some wear out of it. I might not wear it today, but the "tight" size always fits in a couple of weeks.

Enjoy the journey! That's half the fun! :)

Yeah' date=' it's already happened a few times - I FELT like I was already ready for the next size, but my body told me differently, and sometimes it seemed like forever till I got down that half size. But it DOES eventually happen, it's just very annoying till it does.

It's funny, though, this thing with perception of what size we are. I'm currently on vacation in another country and the people who are seeing me now haven't seen me since last summer (pre-op and at my heaviest then). Anyway, I've gotten some really flattering reactions, but the relative whom I staying with has been really funny about the whole thing. I was talking about going shopping at a bunch of different stores (for clothes, what else?) and when someone mentions a specific store, she says, "Oh, you won't find anything your size there, don't bother." I'm like, "But I told you I'm almost fitting into a size 12" (which the store definitely does carry), and she says, "Sorry, sorry, I didn't mean to insult you." Okay, fast forward ten days or so and today she hands me a discount coupon for a large size clothing website - technically I could still order their smallest size (12W) and it would probably still fit me for the next 2 weeks or so, but really, I was a little annoyed because at this point I think it's pretty clear that I'm shopping in the regular departments now (such a lovely experience, I must say). I'm going to put it down to a faulty memory because her memory really is quite bad, but still, her eyesight isn't as far as I know :(

But I digress. I can't wait to REALLY fit into the size 12s since my 14s are all really baggy on me, so yes, I do feel your pain - but as I said, this happened when I went from 18 to 16 and from 16 to 14, so trust me, you WILL get there.[/quote']

By the way, how rude!!!! I think your relative might be a tad bit jealous. Sorry that happened to you.

Thanks Lissa! I'm going for the smaller size.

It seems so silly to me to be bothered by this. I mean in the grand scheme of things this is a great problem to have, right? I'm sorry if I sound whiny, but needed assurance. You guys have helpe. Thanks!

Actually the mediums fit, but a little snug. So I think they are fitting true to size. It's winter clothes so maybe by winter they will fit better. Yikes! In the past (presleeve) if I've ever bought smaller clothes hoping to get in them, I never made it down to the size. I don't want to jinx myself. Thoughts? These clothes won't be around in a few months so I'll need to get them now if I want them. Do I get the smaller size?

Yeah, get the smaller size. You'll get there soon enough. I was lucky enough to have clothes all the way down to a size 14s, but now I've gone on a shopping spree and bought clothes for the next few sizes (I didn't want to go past a certain size because no idea if I'll get there, but I thought that 8 was a reasonable size to aim for - I hope!).

Yeah' date=' get the smaller size. You'll get there soon enough. I was lucky enough to have clothes all the way down to a size 14s, but now I've gone on a shopping spree and bought clothes for the next few sizes (I didn't want to go past a certain size because no idea if I'll get there, but I thought that 8 was a reasonable size to aim for - I hope!).[/quote']

That's exactly the size I thought. Thanks!

By the way, how rude!!!! I think your relative might be a tad bit jealous. Sorry that happened to you.

It's possible. But we're actually really close and she's been through a LOT the past few years (multiple rounds of chemo, etc.) so I can cut her lots of slack that I wouldn't do for others.

It's possible. But we're actually really close and she's been through a LOT the past few years (multiple rounds of chemo' date=' etc.) so I can cut her lots of slack that I wouldn't do for others.[/quote']

Jealous may not be her problem. She's most likely envious of your new healthy body. That's sad really. I hope she recovers fully.

I've been buying some things at Goodwill, so I won't have a huge investment in things I can only wear a month or so. It's a bit of work as they are not organized by size as well as they should be, but shirts for $2 to $5? Hard to beat!

Jealous may not be her problem. She's most likely envious of your new healthy body. That's sad really. I hope she recovers fully.

Very possible - and I hope so, too. She's had so many ups and down - diagnosed with Stage 4 of one of the worst cancers out there, chemo + remission + return of cancer + chemo + remission + return of cancer + chemo + remission + return of cancer, etc. etc. - you get the picture. I think she's had chemo (each time lasting several months) 6 or 7 times in the last 7 or 8 years, as well as one period where she got radiation as well. She's still doing her best to beat it, and believe me that I doubt I'd be as optimistic and cheerful at this stage as she is - I had a much easier form of cancer to deal with around 12 years ago, and that one time was WAY more than enough for me. So yeah, I can only sympathize and pray for her recovery.

Very possible - and I hope so' date=' too. She's had so many ups and down - diagnosed with Stage 4 of one of the worst cancers out there, chemo + remission + return of cancer + chemo + remission + return of cancer + chemo + remission + return of cancer, etc. etc. - you get the picture. I think she's had chemo (each time lasting several months) 6 or 7 times in the last 7 or 8 years, as well as one period where she got radiation as well. She's still doing her best to beat it, and believe me that I doubt I'd be as optimistic and cheerful at this stage as she is - I had a much easier form of cancer to deal with around 12 years ago, and that one time was WAY more than enough for me. So yeah, I can only sympathize and pray for her recovery.[/quote']

Wow, me too! Thanks for sharing.

I don't let salespeople pull my clothes. I am also going the Goodwill route and will probably continue that.