Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very Scared Newbie From Uk

I everyone I thought I would introduce myself and hopefully find some bag buddies. I'm dani 28 and live in uk. I have 2 children and am married. I'm booked in to have my sleeve on September 4th and am absolutely terrified. I'm scared of the surgery itself and also whether I can actually manage afterwards. I'm 5'7 24st just wondering if there was anyone out there like me who can give me some advice or share your weight loss stories etc . X

Danni, I'm in the UK too. I am 4 months post op and I have lost 45lb. That loss may seem low compared to some but I am OK with that. When I started this journey I had in my mind that it would take 9-12 months for the weight to come off and at this rate it will. Where are you having the op? I had to go private (because I was not fat enough for the NHS!!) and I ended up going abroad to Czech Republic. You will find this site invaluable for info and support.

Message me if you want. Cathy

Hi Dani, my name is Maria. I'm 54 have two children and happily married. I am 4 weeks post - op today and have lost a total of 28 lbs. For the past two weeks I've been in a stall. I didn't lose any weight, but I was losing inches. I finally lost 1 lb today. Hopefully I'm coming out of my stall. Don't be scared about the surgery. It's okay. Before you know it, they are waking you up and it's all over. It's just the unknown that's scary. They will give you medication through your IV to calm you down and then they will put you out. You'll get a good sleep and before you know it, it's done. Hang in there. I'll say a prayer for you Dani. Good Luck!!!!!

Welcome! I think any surgery is scary - what is scarier is when you are presented with the statistics and ramifications to our health if we stay obese. My husband and I both had the surgery, two weeks apart - and it has been the best thing either of us has ever done for our health and well being (along with my cutting out the smoking after 28 years) we have kids at home too and everything went just fine after the surgery, albeit with a few complications for me which were taken care of within 2 weeks.

It can be a long process - at least it is in the U.S., which is good because it helps one prepare, this board is also an incredible resource with great info and loads of support from caring people who are experiencing and preparing for life with a sleeve. Surgery day, and the day before was very scary, but before you know it, it is behind you and you are living a new life - with hope and better health.

Best. Decision. Ever.

Thanks do much for your replies :). I'm having to private too, I did qualify for nhs but I know I'd I don't just do it now then I'll bottle it :( I'm having it done at Claremont hospital in Sheffield. Both your weight losses sound great! I've yo to dieted for the last 10 years and enough his enough now for me it needs to be gone! How did you both manage afterwards with tw restriction. I worry because I'm very much a comfort eater and am scared I won't be able to get out of this habit :( x

It's pretty easy for me because I'm not hungary anymore. If I do get hungary or need some comfort i go for Protein. I've made those cheese crisps and they are great to snack on. Also I'm on this site alot so I don't get up and down looking for food.< /p>

Hiya!

I'm from the UK too! Surrey! I had my sleeve done on 26th July. So I am now 2 weeks post-op and just moving onto some puréed food! I found the pre-op diet pretty hard (I too have 2 children and outings etc at start of the summer holidays were just too tempting) but now I can honestly say I am really pleased with my decision to have the op.

The first few days were weird - a lot of pain in my left shoulder (known as referred pain or gas related) but the op itself was fine and incision sites are no problem with plasters off a week after! The hardest thing at first was to keep drinking but I kept sipping Water all day and after about day 5 I could no longer feel every mouthful and drinking became much more normal. Apple juice (cloudy) went down well too!

I took anti-sickness tablets for a few days (was able to swallow tablets whole with water) which really helped although knocked me out! Lots of paracetamol although have stopped that now as have no pain at all! I can even now sleep on my front!

I did feel regretful around day 4 as i just felt low and lacking in energy with shoulder pain and quite nausious but then things just got better each day and now I feel fine!

I have been eating Soups, yogurts and slim fast mainly! Even able to go out with family for pub lunch and i shared a home made tomatoe Soup with my cery supportive aunty (she has the bread and most of Soup but i had enough to feel full) have also been putting some philadelphia really light into my soup to up Protein intake and make some more interesting! Was so looking forward to scrambled eggs today but was surprised when it made me feel very sick so did not have that much. Had puréed roast chicken dinner tonight which went down much better! Amounts wise - in the first week it was 3-10 mouthfuls of things! This week I can eat a decent bowl of soup or half a yogurt (muller light) and I can drink a whole

Glass of liquid quite normally! My purée tonight was about 3-4 tbs!

I take fybogel twice a day but am not going to loo (no2) regularly and it is a struggle when I do go but manageable!

I have been walking places, shopping and feel fine to do normal daily activities now although I am still careful not to pick up my 2 1/2 year old!

I lost 6lb on pre-op diet (not a lot and you'd lose much more if you do it right) and have lost 15lb since surgery so am really pleased! Trousers are now baggy and I got into a size smaller today!

Hope this is helpful to know and helps some of your fears!?!

Please feel free to ask any other questions or voice concerns.

I still like the thought of eating what everyone else is having but I do not feel hungry for it at all so it is much easier not to have those things! And I don't feel grumpy like I am missing out like I used to on various diets etc!

It will be so worth it! Keep in touch if you want to!

Don't be scared-be excited!! :-)

Nicky

Xx

Hi everyone well I'm 2 weeks post op now and I'm still on liquids, I haven't really lost much weight just a couple of pounds is this normal? Also what liquids were you having

Yes, it's very normal. You are still very swollen are filled with gas and liquid. Also your body thinks you're starving it so it will hang on to the fat until it figures out that you're not starving it. Give it a chance. You'll start losing soon. Good luck to you.