Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting 4Th Week In Hospial After A Leak

Today I am starting week 4 of being in the hospital after a leak. I want to put my story out there because when I was looking for info on leaks and how people recovered I didn't receive alot of information. I had my surgery on Tuesday July10th for first couple of days I was doing great and all the sudden as I was going to bed on day 4 I got an awful pain in my shoulder, like someone was ripping it off my body. My husband and I tried heat nerve units ect cuz I thought I had laid on it wrong or something and had a pinched nerve. By the next day I was having a lot of labored breathing and my shoulder pain had lightened up some. By Sunday overnight I couldn't keep anything down and my breathing was so labored I knew I had to go to the hospital.We called the surgeon office for the doctor on call and he said to get me to the nearest ER. We stopped a mile down the road and picked up my mom. When we arrived at the hospital they immediatly got me back and I had two doctors and three nurses surrounding me. They did a chest x-ray and a CT scan and saw that there was Fluid build up in my abdoman. They then transferred me to the bigger parent hospital to ICU. I was admitted to ICU and the surgeon was there shortly. He put me on every antibiotic he could think of he said and then later that day I went for a CT scan and a drain tube was put in my side. At first they though maybe it was a pool of blood that was left over from surgery of something or even a knicked spleen. Over the next few days I spent pretty drugged up in ICU and honestly don't remember alot of it. A pic line was put in because i needed so many IV lines and a regular IV wouldn't substain. I spent five days in ICU and was not allowed to have a drop of Water during that time. I was allowed to start having some ice chips and water and then my drainage significanly increased. It was then determined that I had a leak and was told NPO(nothing by mouth) for that time period over the next week I had several more CT scans and a berium image done so they could see where the leak was. On week three I was taken down to have the first drain adjusted to get better drainage and put in additional drain to drain a second pool of lighter fluid they now saw. The day beofer I was starting my week 4 I was able to start Clear Liquids, because I handled them ok I was able advance to some yogurt and Protein Shake ect. (stage two) I did everything I could to put as much in my mouth as I could to show him I can give my own nutrition and go home. A perfect senerio I go home tommorow being Week 4 one day but he said it will most likely be Tuesday or Wednesday and that will put me at Week 4 day two or three. I am anxious to get home to my family especially my four kids. I have been extremely fortuante that I have such a wonderful family including in-laws or I never would have gotten through this!

Thank you for sharing your story. I wish you all the best in healing!

I am so glad to hear that you are okay! I'm praying that you get to go home tomorrow. Do they know what caused the leak?

Oh, my...good luck to you as you heal.

I'm so sorry you have had to go through all you have. It's good that you are nearing discharge. Best of luck to you!

I hope you will go home soon, but did they figure out why this leak happened?

Keeping you and you family in prayer! I'm glad you are doing better! I know you're anxious to get home, but, please take it easy!!!

So sorry you went through all this! May you continue to feel better and soon return home to your family!

Wow you have had quite a tough journey. i can only hope that you are able to return home soon to your family and will recover fully soon!

*hug*

So hoping that you are doing much better and able to come home very soon. You have been through so much. God bless you!!

Oh my! I am so sorry that you have had to go through this. My prayers are with you that you return home soon.

You and your family are in my prayers that the worse is over! Please rest when you get home so you can heal from all this.

Wow that must have been just terrible I spent three days in the hospital after surgery and that was just enough for me! I couldn't imagine 4 weeks! Did they say what caused your leak? I very curious since I am just got sleeved on the 3rd. My prayers go out to you and your family and I am so sorry you have had to experience this! :(

Wishing everyone the best :)