Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let's Check In November 2012 Sleevers!

Let's get to know each other before our surgery...I'll go first. :)

My name is Amy (37 years old). I live in central FL with my husband and two kids' date=' 3 yo DS and 4.5 yo DD. I work in IT doing technical writing and operational readiness. I love photography and have a small side business, and when I'm thinner, I really enjoy running and spinning.

I was banded in Nov 2009 at 374 lbs. From my banding until Dec 2011 (2 years), I lost 198 lbs. I was thrilled! Despite the occasional vomit and inability to eat certain foods, I was still 99.9% happy with my band. Right after Christmas this year, however, I got a terrible upper respiratory infection. I coughed and coughed and coughed. I coughed until I puked, which caused a slip.

I got a complete unfill in early January. Once the slip was fixed, I started getting fills. But then my band developed a leak and slipped once again. Since the surgeon I was seeing was less than helpful, I found a new surgeon, Dr. Domkowski, who finally treated me without acting like I was crazy, as my last surgeon did. Based on his recommendations and test results, we decided to do the removal and sleeve in two separate surgeries.

Dr. D removed my band on August 3, 2012. Because of the extent of damage done by the band, including scarring and pulling the fundus through the diaphragm, I am waiting around four months to be sleeved. I'd love to be banded on November 25, which would have been the three year anniversary of my band.

I've gained about 70 lbs since December. Sigh. The good news is my surgeon is not at all concerned about my weight gain. He is 100% convinced that I'll lose it all once I'm sleeved, since I was so successful with the band. I'm a bit of a goody two-shoes, and I followed the rules to a "T", and I intend to do the same with the sleeve.

I hope the next four months fly by![/quote']

Good luck on your surgery

Let's get to know each other before our surgery...I'll go first. :)

My name is Amy (37 years old). I live in central FL with my husband and two kids' date=' 3 yo DS and 4.5 yo DD. I work in IT doing technical writing and operational readiness. I love photography and have a small side business, and when I'm thinner, I really enjoy running and spinning.

I was banded in Nov 2009 at 374 lbs. From my banding until Dec 2011 (2 years), I lost 198 lbs. I was thrilled! Despite the occasional vomit and inability to eat certain foods, I was still 99.9% happy with my band. Right after Christmas this year, however, I got a terrible upper respiratory infection. I coughed and coughed and coughed. I coughed until I puked, which caused a slip.

I got a complete unfill in early January. Once the slip was fixed, I started getting fills. But then my band developed a leak and slipped once again. Since the surgeon I was seeing was less than helpful, I found a new surgeon, Dr. Domkowski, who finally treated me without acting like I was crazy, as my last surgeon did. Based on his recommendations and test results, we decided to do the removal and sleeve in two separate surgeries.

Dr. D removed my band on August 3, 2012. Because of the extent of damage done by the band, including scarring and pulling the fundus through the diaphragm, I am waiting around four months to be sleeved. I'd love to be banded on November 25, which would have been the three year anniversary of my band.

I've gained about 70 lbs since December. Sigh. The good news is my surgeon is not at all concerned about my weight gain. He is 100% convinced that I'll lose it all once I'm sleeved, since I was so successful with the band. I'm a bit of a goody two-shoes, and I followed the rules to a "T", and I intend to do the same with the sleeve.

I hope the next four months fly by![/quote']

Good luck with your upcoming surgery..

OMG' date=' Have I got a tip for ya'll.

Isopure aka Isoyuk. I bought grape flavor, hated it. Today I froze about 1 oz. in an icecube tray. Maybe a bit less so I could pop it right into my mouth. Guess what, fantastic. It tastes kind of like a no sugar added, grape propsicle.

I am psyched. Lets get our Fluid and Proteins however we can!!!!!!!!

Ainslee[/quote']

Thanks for the idea! I can't seem to get my Protein in enough! I will try this...

OMG' date=' Have I got a tip for ya'll.

Isopure aka Isoyuk. I bought grape flavor, hated it. Today I froze about 1 oz. in an icecube tray. Maybe a bit less so I could pop it right into my mouth. Guess what, fantastic. It tastes kind of like a no sugar added, grape propsicle.

I am psyched. Lets get our Fluid and Proteins however we can!!!!!!!!

Ainslee[/quote']

Great idea thanks!

Can i take the majority of my Protein in 1 shake? ???

So I was having a bit of a difficult time putting these babies down, everything else goes down much easier & I decided to make my morning Protein Shake with

2 scoops of Protein Powder 52 grams protein

8 oz lo-fat milk 10 grams

maybe a bit of Greek yogurt= over 62 grams for 1shake which I sip all morning ......is this ok or should I be taking it through out the day? I'm gonna see my dr on Monday to take out my staples and ask him & the nut too by just wanted to hear form you guys.... I'm one week out today

Sleeved on 11/19...isn't it too early for a stall? scale didn't budge this morning and it looks like I'm on track to stay the same again tomorrow.

I was sleeved on the 15th and hit a stall for three days, then this morning 2.5 lbs gone! I did nothing different, just stayed the course! Hang in there little "stalls" are bound to happen.

Can i take the majority of my Protein in 1 shake????

So I was having a bit of a difficult time putting these babies down' date=' everything else goes down much easier & I decided to make my morning Protein Shake with

2 scoops of Protein powder 52 grams protein

8 oz lo-fat milk 10 grams

maybe a bit of Greek yogurt= over 62 grams for 1shake which I sip all morning ......is this ok or should I be taking it through out the day? I'm gonna see my dr on Monday to take out my staples and ask him & the nut too by just wanted to hear form you guys.... I'm one week out today[/quote']

You're body can only absorb so much protein in one sitting. I think the number is less than 40. So I would advise against wasting so much protein.

Hey guys havent been here in a couple of weeks since moving around trying to leave Afghan to get home. Well I had my surgery on the 26th and it was hell. I went into surgery during the day around 2 but because of so much scare tissue and a herniated esophagus it took about 4 hours. I was so tired and wanted to vomit everything. However, everything went well I think the worst part for me was the drain I was unable to take really deep breaths because of it which caused a lot of pain. I kept my drain up until the day I went home just to be on the safe side. That morning when they took it out, its like all the pain went away I was up walking, taking deep breaths, bending over and everything with no problems. I have to say the other thing I didnt like to much is when I went in for surgery I had gotten down to 233 from 241 now Im up to 245???? I will deal with it. Anyhow things have been kind of crazy a lot of head hunger but I been ignoring it. I mostly eat Popsicle since I have to be on Clear Liquids for 4 weeks instead of the normal week, it sucks but anything to get better. I havent been able to walk very fast but I been going to Walmart and walking around for like an hour just to get some exercise in...lol..Anyhow just wanted to check in hope everybody is doing well...Take care

B.

Sometimes the swelling will make you retain water.. It isn't uncommon to hear about weight gain immediately after surgery. Good luck! You are going to feel great in a few days :)

hey guys...doing good...I can not wait for puree phase to start on Tuesday...I am craving "real" food...also I go back to work next Wednesday...I am excited to see my students but a little nervous

Anyone else having trouble with not drinking while eating? I find my mouth is always extremely dry! On my second phase we are allowed to eat watermelon, so I eat watermelon with every meal to keep my mouth wet. How are you keeping your mouth from getting so dry?

Anyone else having trouble with not drinking while eating? I find my mouth is always extremely dry! On my second phase we are allowed to eat watermelon, so I eat watermelon with every meal to keep my mouth wet. How are you keeping your mouth from getting so dry?

I just flat out am drinking Water with food but tiny tiny sips. My esophagus is swollen or something because I can't get anything down without a little liquid to help it along not even cottage cheese. Finally I decided to back to the phase 1 diet for a while. I like the shakes, I love yogurt and now that I had a little solid food I'm kind of over it. The solid food made me feel a little green and a tiny amount sits in my new stomach like lead. I didn't like the feeling and it made me nauseated on and off all day. The two things I seem to be able to tolerate from the phase 2 diet is spinach and celery decimated in my food processor together and Whole grain rice in small amounts.

So frustrated...looks like I am an early staller. Day 10 Post Op - 247

Day 11 - 247

Day 12 - 245.5

Day 13 - 246

Day 14 - 246

Oh and weight of surgery was 262. I am happy that I have lost but so discouraged that my stall happened so soon :( Praying it doesn't last much longer!!! This is all on liquid diet too and I know I am not getting enough fluids in so I am going to try like heck to get that up and see if it helps.

So frustrated...looks like I am an early staller. Day 10 Post Op - 247

Day 11 - 247

Day 12 - 245.5

Day 13 - 246

Day 14 - 246

Oh and weight of surgery was 262. I am happy that I have lost but so discouraged that my stall happened so soon :( Praying it doesn't last much longer!!! This is all on liquid diet too and I know I am not getting enough fluids in so I am going to try like heck to get that up and see if it helps.

Ok let's figure this out...what are you drinking? How are you getting your Protein in? How many ounce of liquid are you getting in and how much Protein? What does a typical day look like for you?

I know if I don't start drinking right when I wake up I'm going to have a rough time getting it all in. And you feel like crap when you don't get the fluids and protein in. And I have to have a shake when I first wake up. I'm on puréed foods but I find I still need one shake a day so I do that first thing. I'm not a big thinker when I first wake up so the shake is a great go to.