Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Foods That Cause Dumping.

Dumping is a thing which happens with gastric bypass, not VSG. With VSG, a bagel will be fine after some time from surgery. Pretty much all bread products, for that matter. They tend to swell in your stomach, so you feel the restriction quicker. I pretty much try to avoid them as they are pretty much nutritionally void. I would rather have the space used for more nutritional options.

I don't believe sleevers get dumping syndrome the same as people with gastric bypass. That has to do with the re-routing of their intestines. Our stomach is simply smaller so it's more of an intolerance to certain foods than actual dumping syndrome, from what I've read anyway. I can tolerate any food or drink and after a year out I occasionally partake in rice and bread, although it does fill me up fast. I also drink beer and other carbonated beverages without a problem, although it's not a good habit to get into if you want to succeed. Sweets don't bother me a bit, although I rarely eat them. I think it depends on each individuals stomach tolerance.

I saw a YouTube video of a woman who did have, what she called, VSG dumping. She had really overdone it at a New Years party: ribs, buffalo wings, butterscotch schnapps, etc... And she described a very painful several hours afterwards: gut pain, diarrhea, severe cramping, nausea, sitting on the toilet and NOTHING happens, etc... I think dumping is not as common with VSG but it can happen. I think we just have to be very conscious about what we eat, how much, how often, and not overdoing it...same sh*t, different day, right?

I was experiencing episodes of very low blood sugar, sliminess, sweating, extreme weakness, etc for several months at times. My blood sugar would be in the 40-50s at times. Found out that when I cut back on carbs totally stopped. Talked to my surgeon at my two year appt and said I thought I was having dumping syndrome. He told me emphatically that I was NOT experiencing it. That VSG do not have true dumping. Yes to low blood sugar etc. I know this. I went on a trip the next week while I had been diligently watching diet and carbs. Had a very sweet sugary cupcake and within an hour had an "episode". :). My body cannot tolerate high sugar, high carb without consequences now.

I've always had a high tolerance to sweet things and carbs so I think I'll be okay. I can't wait to have a bagel though, they're my favorite :) Congratulations on being two years post-op! What's your total weight loss?

100. I was 250atsurgery. 5'8". I have regained about 10 lbs but watch and cut back on carbs etc so it doesn't get out of control. My surgeon was happy with me earlier this month. I want to lose the 10 to give myself a true "bounce" zone but wearing size 8-10 skirts and medium tee shirts work for me! :)

VSG patients can have symptoms that are similar to dumping, but are not really dumping. I had some issues with Peanut Butter earlier on (it was less than a teaspoon for heaven's sake!) and when I had my first greek yogurt with fruit. My body had not had sugar in a couple of months and went into a frenzy and I made many runs to the toilet after those episodes. Alcohol can do the same thing, especially early on. Now, at three months out, I have an occasional (very rare though) glass of wine and have no problems, but if I were to drink more, I am sure I would have issues.

I saw a YouTube video of a woman who did have, what she called, VSG dumping. She had really overdone it at a New Years party: ribs, buffalo wings, butterscotch schnapps, etc... And she described a very painful several hours afterwards: gut pain, diarrhea, severe cramping, nausea, sitting on the toilet and NOTHING happens, etc... I think dumping is not as common with VSG but it can happen. I think we just have to be very conscious about what we eat, how much, how often, and not overdoing it...same sh*t, different day, right?

I think she just had an upset stomach and lower GI tract like anyone would have after that load of crappy food.

Bagels are chewy good, but if you have to have bread, maybe a whole grain, rustic bread that has a good amount of Protein. Trader Joe's carries one whole wheat rustic pane that is killer. I can only eat 1/2 a slice and usually don't at all unless I'm hiking that day. I have a 1/2 slice with Peanut Butter. YUMMMMM. It's easier on our sleeves toasted BTW.