Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Super Nurses With Sleeves (Support Group)

Michigan, I am so glad you did well even with that complication. Thank you for your thoughts. I am young, 39, never smoked, normal blood glucose, normal BP but I do have sleep apnea and arthritis started. I have a huge family history of DM and CAD so I definately need to get out in front of this before I do major damage. I want to live a long and active life. I know what to look for if there is a problem so I feel I am good to go. I worry about others out there that don't know that is why I am glad there are forum like this so those people can research and ask questions. One other thought for everyone to contemplate....if you smoke...please stop before you go through this surgery.

Yes, smoking poses such an increased risk. My doc won't even do surgery on smokers - he's had two leaks with the sleeve, and both were smokers. He actually tests people, now.

I feel like I dodged a bullet with DM. I have a huge family hx of it, and I could never believe I didn't have it. When I did my preop testing, my A1C was 6.3! I was shocked. I feel like I had the surgery at the last possible minute before that switch was flipped. If all things had been equal to what they are now 15 years ago, I would have done this at 35 - it would have been worth it to me. I think of all the years I was obese and held back by it, and the things I missed out on, and it makes me sad. However, I feel like I'm turning back the clock on my health, so it's very exciting!

Also, I agree, knowing what to watch for is a huge safety net. I knew I had that infection right away, and I thought at the time, most people wouldn't have. I didn't have a temp or any drainage. I called the doc and he met me in the ER on Christmas Eve, and even he was surprised by it. So, I think we are lucky and have an advantage, in that way. When is your surgery?

June 5th os the big day. I am soooo ready to get it done, the waiting and (thinking) is the hard part for me.

Smoking is so bad on the blood supply to the gut, when there is a leak or a rupture it is usually caused by some of the tissue not getting enough blood supply and it is dying in part. I am sure that is why your surgeon made the decision to not operate on smokers any longer.

That is awesome about not having DM and you feeling like you have a new lease on life! It sounds like you are progressing nicely:)

Well I did it. I told my educator today I had a secret to tell her, then told her about surgery. She is very excited for me, and being a band failure so far, she wants to do the pre and post diet with me. Then my director walked in and I just blurted out to her. Of course she was supportive, I knew she would be. We work super close and I decided last week she needs to know but every opportunity I just chickened out. But now the cat is out of the bag and it feels good :)

Got my surgery date. ..April 22nd!!! I start my preop diet...now. The nurse told me I start it today but she didn't schedule me till noon today so I'm going to start at midnight. I'm so excited but just want it to be here so i can be on my journey!

Hi ya'll. Im Kim. I've been a nurse for the past almost 30 years! I started in LPN school when i was 15. from there I got my ADN, then BSN, and then finally a MSN. I have worked primarily in labor and delivery with a specialty in High risk OB.

I was sleeved on 12/26/12 and have lost 44 lbs. down from a 22 to an 18. Lost more than 15 inches. Lots of NSVs. feeling really good!

Check my gallery for pre op and 3 month post op pics.

I look forward to being a part of the support forum.

I loo

Got my date finally. June 5th! Wahoo.

Mine is June 18th!! So excited!

Mine is June 18th!! So excited!

Yippy! There is a June Sleevers group on here.

Yippy! There is a June Sleevers group on here.

Oh really? How do I find that group?

Search for june sleevers group

So glad to find the group. My name is Chandra and I live in Houston. I have been nurse for 10 years this past January. This is career number two, my first was 10+ years in Criminal Justice as a Court Services Officer. I have worked in long term care, hospice and the last 4 years I have been in Clinical Quality Management primarily with cardiac patients. I am a newlywed 1 yr (To a Southern Pastor no less)and mother to a 16 yr old and a 4 legged daughter. I have 40 days until life become even "gooder" lol. May 20th I will have my sleeve and I am so looking forward to become a loser. This site has truly been a God send for all the information encouragement and support thru this journey. Glad to have found an extra special group. Good Luck to Everyone!

So glad to find the group. My name is Chandra and I live in Houston. I have been nurse for 10 years this past January. This is career number two' date=' my first was 10+ years in Criminal Justice as a Court Services Officer. I have worked in long term care, hospice and the last 4 years I have been in Clinical Quality Management primarily with cardiac patients. I am a newlywed 1 yr (To a Southern Pastor no less)and mother to a 16 yr old and a 4 legged daughter. I have 40 days until life become even "gooder" lol. May 20th I will have my sleeve and I am so looking forward to become a loser. This site has truly been a God send for all the information encouragement and support thru this journey. Glad to have found an extra special group. Good Luck to Everyone![/quote']

Hi! I am May 20th also!!! Soooo very excited! Welcome aboard :-)

Hi! I am May 20th also!!! Soooo very excited! Welcome aboard :-)

Hello sleeve sister lol 40 days woo hoo! I'm marking the days off like a kid waiting for Christmas. Where will your surgery be?