Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Super Nurses With Sleeves (Support Group)

I finished up my Pediatric rotation a couple weeks ago, during my post clinical with my preceptor she asked if she could get personal with me for a minute. She proceeded to say "I have struggled with my weight my whole life...... now you know where this is going...." I was mortified, I couldn't believe she was having the "weight" talk with me. She went on to tell me that no matter how great of a nurse I am that I will always be judged by my weight, and how people will question hiring me because I may not be able to do my job and its already hard on nurses and I need to start loosing weight.... now" Needless to say I was mortified, embarrassed, sad..... so sad..... I don't want to be this way, I have struggled so long I don't know how to be any other way. I told her I am in the process of working towards weight loss surgery, but I still have another clinical rotation before surgery, and now I doubt myself, I am smart I know I am smart, I know I do a good job, but now I feel like they will doubt my abilities based on my weight. I am mad at myself for not being smart years ago, I am mad at myself for not doing something 6 weeks, 6 months, 6 years ago..... I want people to look at me for the person I am, not the fat I carry. I had my final Psych visit yesterday and told him about the "talk" he said "you know I have always felt unsolicited advice is no different than criticism" in a way yes, but is she right.... yes, yes she is. Should I be looked over for a job, or in a clinical setting because of my weight? No, but will I be.... probably. Will people question if I can do an effective job, yes I suppose they might. I guess I just needed to vent for a minute.....

I finished up my Pediatric rotation a couple weeks ago, during my post clinical with my preceptor she asked if she could get personal with me for a minute. She proceeded to say "I have struggled with my weight my whole life...... now you know where this is going...." I was mortified, I couldn't believe she was having the "weight" talk with me. She went on to tell me that no matter how great of a nurse I am that I will always be judged by my weight, and how people will question hiring me because I may not be able to do my job and its already hard on nurses and I need to start loosing weight.... now" Needless to say I was mortified, embarrassed, sad..... so sad..... I don't want to be this way, I have struggled so long I don't know how to be any other way. I told her I am in the process of working towards weight loss surgery, but I still have another clinical rotation before surgery, and now I doubt myself, I am smart I know I am smart, I know I do a good job, but now I feel like they will doubt my abilities based on my weight. I am mad at myself for not being smart years ago, I am mad at myself for not doing something 6 weeks, 6 months, 6 years ago..... I want people to look at me for the person I am, not the fat I carry. I had my final Psych visit yesterday and told him about the "talk" he said "you know I have always felt unsolicited advice is no different than criticism" in a way yes, but is she right.... yes, yes she is. Should I be looked over for a job, or in a clinical setting because of my weight? No, but will I be.... probably. Will people question if I can do an effective job, yes I suppose they might. I guess I just needed to vent for a minute.....

Discrimination against obese people is the last form of acceptable hatred/judgment in the country. Sad, but true. I had to chuckle a little, not because any of this was funny, but because nursing instructors haven't changed in 30 years! I'm so sorry you had to sit through that mortifying experience. I'm sure that instructor was trying to do you a favor, and I hope she was kind about it. Sadly, she is right on some levels, but you already know that, which is why you were already doing something about it! I have to tell you that I have been very successful as an overweight/obese nurse, and moved into the ranks of management and other specialty jobs, but I always wondered if I could have done more, been better respected if I was a normal weight. So, I was successful, and you can be, too. You didn't say what your weight is, or how much you have to lose, but I know that every bit helps. For me, I still have a long way to go. I'm what I consider a "normal size fat person" now, instead of super fat, and I'm thrilled about it. It's way better! So, my advice is to focus on your studies, take of yourself, and things will fall into place for you. You are setting yourself up for success!

You didn't say what your weight is, or how much you have to lose

Thanks for your response. Yeah it was rough but she was very kind. I am sure I turned every shade of red. Admittedly nursing school has been of no assistance in my weight problems. I have gained nearly 50lbs since starting nursing school. What's sad is I knew I had gained weight, but I never realized how much until recently, when I really stopped and thought about it. My start weight and goal weight are both within lbs of yours. So It seems you are where I hope to be by the new year. She did ask me to keep in touch and let her know how things were going. I think part of it was that facility would be my ultimate dream job, and there is a part of me that wonders if I am tainted because of my weight. She told me a story of someone hiring a nurse over the phone and not in person, and her being morbidly obese and the struggle she had, and she ended up not being a good fit" the funny part of that story was I had questioned (my classmates) in the first week or two of my rotation if they hired based on weight and age, because I did not work with one nurse that was anything but thin and they were all very young. Again thank you. I can only take one day at a time and it is true I just need to focus on me in the moment and not worry about what is going to happen tomorrow.

Are you a nurse? I am starting a support group for nurses that are contemplating' date=' undergoing or are now 'old pro's' with their sleeves!

By way of introduction, my name is Jana & I live in the DFW area and am currently undergoing the approval process. I have been a RN for 38 years--18 years in Surgery & 18 years in Case Management & as a Manager for a major health plan carrier.

So feel free to jump on board![/quote']

Hello all my name is Annette. I am a Nurse Practitioner with 28 years of Nursing and wouldn't change any of my experiences through out my career. I am scheduled to sleeve on July 2,2013. I am excited but not as excited I was the first time when I was banded. I was banded in 2005 and in 2010 my band eroded into my stomach and had to be removed that was a scary time. My surgeon Dr Thomas Clark would not hear of conversion at the time to VSG. I settled for removal and discussion at another time in 6 months. I lost weight and kept it off without the band due to restriction from the removal of the band, diarrhea from the massive antibiotic therapy which included cipro, flagyl and augmentin. Can you say sick as a dog. I did not eat for 4 days and everything I drank quickly left from the rectum in liquid form. Anyway finally got it together and was down to 194 lbs I felt great once I regained my energy which took all of 2weeks. I kept my weight down for almost 2 yrs then lost the restriction, began to make the wrong food choices stopped exercising and of course regained the weight. In 2012 i tried to get the sleeve but, My insurance said the WLS was not necessary. They had me go thru 6 months of weight surveillance. So finally 2 weeks ago I was approved.

Whew! Now to my Nurse support group. Glad I found you. Planning to keep In touch and give updates as appropriate.

I have a question for those of you all ready sleeved and those to come. What do you wish you knew about this process that you didn't know prior to or after you we're sleeved?.

I'm not a nurse, but as a social worker I have had the privilege to work with many fabulous nurses...y'all are awesome :)

Macy6, like MichiganChic, I have been overweight my entire nursing career and I have not had any issues finding or keeping a job because of my weight. I, too, am sorry that you had to go through that uncomfortable talk. Good luck!

I have a question for those of you all ready sleeved and those to come. What do you wish you knew about this process that you didn't know prior to or after you we're sleeved?.

Hi Annette, welcome to the group, and congrats on your pending surgery. Mmmm...what do I wish I knew? I wish I had realized how exhausting the post op phase was. I had c-sections, which included caring for brand new babies (with other kids at home) got little to no sleep, and those were an easier recovery than this. I wish I had known how much I was going to hate taking all those Vitamins. I think that's it. And even if I had known those two things, neither of them would have stopped me from having surgery. I'm happy I did it, and happy with the results so far. Good luck!

Hi Annette' date=' welcome to the group, and congrats on your pending surgery. Mmmm...what do I wish I knew? I wish I had realized how exhausting the post op phase was. I had c-sections, which included caring for brand new babies (with other kids at home) got little to no sleep, and those were an easier recovery than this. I wish I had known how much I was going to hate taking all those Vitamins. I think that's it. And even if I had known those two things, neither of them would have stopped me from having surgery. I'm happy I did it, and happy with the results so far. Good luck![/quote']

That's great. Hey Michigan chic,

I am trying to approach this sleeve professionally. Trying to get all my Protein powder ideas, I need a coffee Protein Drink that will satisfy that habit -decaf of course. So on and so on. When I had the band Protein powders became very boring very quickly so I truly want to give them a fair shot this time and get enough protein and Water in like I am supposed to do, good luck on your Journey!

That's great. Hey Michigan chic,

I am trying to approach this sleeve professionally. Trying to get all my Protein Powder ideas, I need a coffee Protein Drink that will satisfy that habit -decaf of course. So on and so on. When I had the band Protein powders became very boring very quickly so I truly want to give them a fair shot this time and get enough protein and Water in like I am supposed to do, good luck on your Journey!

While I do try to adhere to most of the rules, I don't bother much with the protein powders. Right after surgery, it would take me 3 hours to drink one and I could barely get them down because they tasted so BAD to me, so I just can't make myself do it. I do get in 70-100 gm of protein a day, though. I use a Premier Protein shake in the morning. It has 30 gm, so it gives me a jump start. I'm eating around 900-1100 calories a day, which is pretty manageable at this point. I did find a great iced coffee drink that I love, (not Decaf, and I just work my full time vitamin-taking-job around it) it's called Chike. It has 20 gm protein, and 170 calories, so it makes for a great after work treat - when I have my most difficulty managing. But you had that band, so you are an old hat at this! From what I've read, the band to sleeve people seem really happy with their outcomes from their revisions.

ALDFNP, my morning routine is Premier Protein with half a Starbuck VIA instant coffee packet added to it, iced. At five months, I now use regular not Decaf. Bless you in your quest!

While I do try to adhere to most of the rules' date=' I don't bother much with the Protein powders. Right after surgery, it would take me 3 hours to drink one and I could barely get them down because they tasted so BAD to me, so I just can't make myself do it. I do get in 70-100 gm of Protein a day, though. I use a premier Protein shake in the morning. It has 30 gm, so it gives me a jump start. I'm eating around 900-1100 calories a day, which is pretty manageable at this point. I did find a great iced coffee drink that I love, (not Decaf, and I just work my full time vitamin-taking-job around it) it's called Chike. It has 20 gm protein, and 170 calories, so it makes for a great after work treat - when I have my most difficulty managing. But you had that band, so you are an old hat at this! From what I've read, the band to sleeve people seem really happy with their outcomes from their revisions.[/quote']

I learned something real important the first time around w/my band and that was to follow the rules during those first 12 months because this was the most opportune time to get rid of the most weight. I'll definitely try your ice coffee drink. Summertime and all of that! Thanks for The info. I'm sure i'll be happy w/the sleeve. I'm also hoping WLS will decrease the back and knee problems I have s well.

ALDFNP' date=' my morning routine is Premier Protein with half a Starbuck VIA instant coffee packet added to it, iced. At five months, I now use regular not Decaf. Bless you in your quest![/quote']

The more receipts the better! Thanks

The more receipts the better! Thanks

The more recipes the better! Technology, got to love it,especially when it thinks it knows what your thinking and corrects it before you do

Hello, my name is Melanie. I'm originally from Columbus, Ohio now living in PA. I've been a nurse for 13 years; all but 2 of those in the OR. I worked postpartum/high risk antepartum also. I'm currently working in the OR & decided to go to Mexico for surgery because I don't want to deal with the comments from the petty/gossiping people I work with. I'm getting sleeved on September 30 by Dr Alvarez & I'm taking 4 weeks off work. I wanted to get this surgery done before the end of the year because I'm applying to grad school and hoping to start in January term. I'll be working towards my degree for Women's Health NP.

It's nice to have the support of so many nurses. I look forward to following your journeys.

I just wanted to update everyone - I have just passed my original personal goal of 120. I am so excited. I really never could imagine. I lost 12 pounds before my surgery date - so in total I have lost 75 pounds! 63 lbs since surgery. I had surgery on 9/10/12 and reached my surgeon's goal in February and now my goal in July! On another note, I just took a PRN telephone triage job that I love! Good luck to everyone!!