Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For VG 10 cc Bandsters ONLY

10 CC VG Band ONLY - How many cc's for good restriction?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. 10 CC VG Band ONLY - How many cc's for good restriction?

• 9 + cc
    • 8 + cc
    • 6 + cc
    • 4 + cc

Kim: I'm really not trying to be rude, honestly. However, you could set a good example at this site and start a thread that will help those who haven't been banded yet.

It is important that you do your homework before banding. Making a list of pertinent questions such as "what band will I get"......"where and who is going to do my fills"......."how much will the fills cost me"....and many more questions.

I have read so many posts where bandsters enter into this procedure without setting themselves up for the "after affects".

I was given a folder when I left the clinic that had a booklet on my band identifying exactly what I had, I also had the Drs report on the entire procedure from start to finish BECAUSE I REQUESTED THIS.....other patients should be asking for this too. I live too far from my clinic to visit it on a regular basis for all my fills so I made sure that I had a backup plan in place before I had the surgery...the band is not much good unless you can get your adequate number of fills to reach restriction.

Just some suggestions.

Carol

I have the VG band - since August. Been back twice to MX for fills - currently at 6.0 cc's and no restriction. First fill was 4.6 - second took me to 6.0. First few days at 6.0 and I could hardly swallow Water - took 20 minutes to drink a Protein shake. After about a week of that - I could eat a lot of whatever I wanted.....

I've now spent about $17,000 for surgery and fills and I am PISSED. I've e-mailed and called the clinic - waiting for them to call me back. I'm returning in January for Fill #3 - they tell me I won't be able to go beyond 7.6 at the very most in this next fill......I cannot afford to go back every 30-45 days.

I feel like we're guinea pigs on the VG band and my money got thrown out of an airplane...

Hello,

My problem now is that the only weight loss I had was in the first 3 weeks after surgery, none since then and I am gaining that weight loss back at an alarming rate.

I need a jump start to get me going again and give me a shot in the arm. I don't think I'll be able to take a nother small fill and wait another few months to get to a point where I feel any restricion.

I hope you help and support me as this is tearing my psyche apart. Thanks to all of you for your help.:rolleyes:

I don't understand how come some of you didn't know before surgery that the fills are gradual. I was told right up front that the fills would be gradual.... .5 to 1 cc at a time, at least 2 weeks apart until I reached adequate restriction....did no one tell you this.....did you ask questions and do some research?

Carol

Yes Carol - I (and probably WE) did quite a lot of research. I was ALSO told specifically by my surgeon that if I would commit to fills with HIS clinic that I would be filled in two visits rather than the 8-10 that it takes in the US because MX surgeons are very "agressive" with fills. When I'm paying $7-900 for air fare, transportation across the border, hotel, and fluoro for each fill - I'm not really interested in gradual. I was given the impression that it would take 2 trips. I"m currently approaching my 3rd.

I did enough research to go to the "granddaddy" of lap banding surgery - I consider him to be the best - however I feel that THIS band is new enough that the "old rules" for the 4cc band surely do NOT apply and I'm more than a little frustrated with the time, the money, and the lack of results.

I surely don't understand why YOU are only getting .5 to 1 cc in a VG band - is that really what you're saying? I got 4.6 cc's and then 1.4 cc's the second fill......I hope you're getting your fills/fluoro, EVERYTHING for free if it's going to take you 10-15 fills to get to 9-10 cc's.....

My first fill was 4.5 cc which I was told it was going to be, then 6 mor gradual fills and I'm at 9.5 right now and satisfied. with the way I felt after each 1 cc fill there is no way I would have wanted to have more than that put in at a time. Even with 1 cc at a time I went for 24 hours not being able to drink....sometimes the restriction would be with me for more than 2 weeks then the more I lost the looser the band got. AND....even with these gradual fills I have managed to lose 78 pounds since June 8th so its working for me.

Carol

I have the VG band also. My first fill was 5.5 cc's and my second fill brought me up to just under 8cc's. I have very good restriction now. My dr. did not tell me up front how aggressive he would be with the fills. He goes by what I tell him when I come in for one and how much I can eat, how hungry I am, etc. He has been very aggressive with my fills and I appreciate it. They all do things differently. My fills are not covered by my insurance and I informed him of this. I asked him to be aggressive. I hope you have luck with your 3rd fill, or maybe you can try and find a dr. who will fill you nearby.

I don't know if he will, but you can call his office and ask. Are you near Weston, Florida? I guess if you have to travel to Mexico for a fill, though, you can travel anywhere. Alot of dr.'s won't do other dr.'s fills. The office number is 954-659-5239. You can ask one of the nurses. Ask for Marisol, she is very nice.

I don't understand how come some of you didn't know before surgery that the fills are gradual. I was told right up front that the fills would be gradual.... .5 to 1 cc at a time, at least 2 weeks apart until I reached adequate restriction....did no one tell you this.....did you ask questions and do some research?

Carol

I went to 2 seminars and spent about 9 months trying to get the surgery all cleared thru the insurance. To get this done I had to be evaluated for the surgery by my primary, the surgeon, a psychiatrist, and a nutritionist. The only research I did was on the gastric bypass and knew that it was not for me due to the number of people who gained the weight back years after surgery - the lapband was the answer. But not at any time did anyone ever mention the word "fill" at all - never. Going thru the motions of getting the surgery cleared I figured I was getting all the information that I needed at that time. The first mention of fills was 2 weeks after surgery when I was referred to this website by an ex co-worker that I happen to find out had the surgery on the same day that I did. If this had not happened I am sure I would not be on my third fill now. I might have been on my first... maybe. And I am sure I would be very frustrated as well.

I have met several people that did not have any idea that there was going to be so much involved in post-op care and treatment.

All I can say to anyone who has this size band is not to give up. My insurance coverage for any weight loss treatment ended the day I had my first fill so its all out of pocket from here. This is not cheap but in the long run it will be worth it. Again, get angry and pissed off, but do not give up. We all have to remember our main goal.

I went to 2 seminars and spent about 9 months trying to get the surgery all cleared thru the insurance. To get this done I had to be evaluated for the surgery by my primary, the surgeon, a psychiatrist, and a nutritionist. The only research I did was on the gastric bypass and knew that it was not for me due to the number of people who gained the weight back years after surgery - the lapband was the answer. But not at any time did anyone ever mention the word "fill" at all - never. Going thru the motions of getting the surgery cleared I figured I was getting all the information that I needed at that time. The first mention of fills was 2 weeks after surgery when I was referred to this website by an ex co-worker that I happen to find out had the surgery on the same day that I did. If this had not happened I am sure I would not be on my third fill now. I might have been on my first... maybe. And I am sure I would be very frustrated as well.

I have met several people that did not have any idea that there was going to be so much involved in post-op care and treatment.

All I can say to anyone who has this size band is not to give up. My insurance coverage for any weight loss treatment ended the day I had my first fill so its all out of pocket from here. This is not cheap but in the long run it will be worth it. Again, get angry and pissed off, but do not give up. We all have to remember our main goal.

I am surprised, I suppose all Dr.s and clinics are different. During my first consultation the pre-op coordinator showed me the band, she explained the entire fill process, even showed me how the needle entered the port to make the injection and explained about the gradual fill process. She also showed me illustrations of the actual surgical procedure. Because she exposed me to this I had many questions and everything was answered and taken care of before I signed on the dotted line. It seems to me that some Dr.s and clinics could take a very good lesson from my clinic....they were absolutely fabulous....I guess I just got lucky.

And I thoroughly agree with you.....be patient and stick with it because the band does work.

Carol

I too went to the seminar and there was little mention of fills. However after going on this web site and all the other doctors I had to go through and the research I did by the time I had the surgery I was aware of the fills but not aware of how many I would need.

I sure wasn't aware of how long it would take to get any type of restriction or that I would have to pay 300 dollars a fill out of my pocket.

It's been an uphill battle for me but I have lost some and kept it off.

The hardest thing for me about the band has been how well sweets go down and good things for me don't want to stay down.

I agree Tootarts.....but we are smarter than the band and must stay in control. I learn something new every week with my band...what I can take and what I can't....and sometimes what use to be easy to eat with the band one week will be a totally different story the next week. But overall....I've maintained a continual losing streak and love it....I wouldn't give up my band for anything and if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't hesitate.

Carol

I am surprised, I suppose all Dr.s and clinics are different. During my first consultation the pre-op coordinator showed me the band, she explained the entire fill process, even showed me how the needle entered the port to make the injection and explained about the gradual fill process. She also showed me illustrations of the actual surgical procedure. Because she exposed me to this I had many questions and everything was answered and taken care of before I signed on the dotted line. It seems to me that some Dr.s and clinics could take a very good lesson from my clinic....they were absolutely fabulous....I guess I just got lucky.

And I thoroughly agree with you.....be patient and stick with it because the band does work.

Carol

I should say that at the seminars they did explain about the port and that it was the way they would tighten the band but the word "fill" was not used. Myself, and many others, thought that it would be done at the time of surgery. We never realized that we would be wide open and need to start an entire post-op process involving these things called fills.

I think things could have been explained in more detail as far as the number of fills that would be needed and the fact that there were different size bands that could be used. I could have done more research but mentally the process of getting the surgery cleared thru the insurance was hard enough. I would get so close to getting approved and another obstacle would get in the way.

I'm at 10 for an 11 cc band. I'm restricted and very, very slowly losing. 14 pounds since May! What happens when I go in for a fill and I'm initially tight but then it gets loose and I have no more fills. Have I spent 15K on a failure? Am I the only one who fails?

Harlito....I thoroughly agree with you.....the entire process should be made clear right from the beginning. I knew before surgery what I was in for....I was hoping that a workable level of restriction would have happened before 9.5 ccs and 7 fills later, but I knew that it was a possibility that I'd have to have several spaced out fills to reach this level.....or it could have happened sooner....but I was told all the options and scenarios up front.

I am so happy I chose the clinic I did.....I had very few questions along the way and grateful for that.

Carol