Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Texas Group

Hi,

I live in West Houston and am going for my first consultation this Thursday. They say I "have coverage" but I'm sure this is the first step of the approval process. I have gone through NeWeigh and am excited about getting more information. I have been told I will see Dr. "Jay" on September 14th.

My husband and I have been doing some research on the different types of surgeries and I really like the lap band versus the RNY. I don't like the idea of my anatomy being "reconstructed".

Would you all mind sharing a little bit with me on how well you're doing with your weight loss and why you chose this surgery over the bypass?

Thank you all in advance for your help and guidance.

Lori in Katy, TX

Hi, Lori!

I'm up here north of Dallas, north of Denton...keep going! So, far north Texas it is for me!

I had my surgery a year ago in July. I didn't want the permanent surgical change that bypass represented, but finally accepted that the "someday I will lose weight" had only led to the highest weight ever! I was ready to make a real change. Lapband, if you can be patient, and learn to actually change the way you eat, is a fantastic option! Being willing to experience change and do the work it takes is still part of the process, but it's been a great year, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

I love my band, and know it has been a great decision!

Welcome!

Congrats on coverage. I've heard great things about Dr. Rod, I originally wanted him to do my sx but he didn't accept my insurance. My husband and I were both banded by Dr. Powell.

I'm not sure if they he (Dr. Rod) still uses them, but Lap Band Solutions sucks. They are the ones that submit insurance for approval. Stay on them, they sat on my file for over a month, it took less than 24 hours after being submited before I was approved. The customer service of LBS is horrible and I would not personally deal with them again.

Best of luck to you! If things don't work with Dr. Rod, I would highly recommend Dr. Powell.

Hi Lori,

Welcome! I was raised in Katy - now I live in Bear Creek. Anyway, I have been banded for 2 1/2 weeks & I love it! They say that losing any weight during the first 6 weeks (healing phase) is a bonus & I have lost 15 lbs - BONUS!! YEAH! I am not starving to death like I thought I would be on the liquids and mush/soft foods. I have not had any problems either. I chose the lap band because I did not want to permanently alter my digestive system. This procedure is minimally invasive and there is minimal pain afterwards. There are some people on lapbandtalk that have had problems, pain, nausea etc. but I have not. Good luck on your decision and you insurance. My insurance specifically excludes weight loss surgery, so I went to Monterrey MX for mine. So far, it has been worth every penny!

So, may I ask, how did going out of state help you? Was it cheaper? Also, may I ask a silly question, one thing bugging me, can you physically SEE the port under your skin or will you once you've lost all the weight? That wud be gross to me, also, where the port is situated, will that inhibit my exercising like doing crunches or certain Pilates moves or even bending over to tie my shoes or pick something up? How about sleeping, will that get in the way of sleeping on my side? I realize I can ask my doctor this but would like you or anyone having experienced this to answer, from a patient's point of view. I hope you don't mind me asking.:nervous

hey Slowkat--

Can't see my port, can't even feel it. Kinda wondering if it's really there! I've not heard or read of anyone being able to see/feel the port after they've lost weight. I'm a stomach sleeper and my month band-i-versary is in two days-- I've been sleeping very well on my stomach now for at least 2 weeks, maybe a bit more. Try to stay on my side since I "think" i don't snore as much (hehehehehehe). DH says I still end up snoring somehow! Side sleeping wasn't an issue at all though, even the day of surgery.

Hey! Thanx for the reply, I greatly appreciate it. I feel a little more at ease about it now.:notagree :) Ya probably thought it was a silly question but I just wondered about it. Thanx again!

--SK.

i've always been told, the only (stupid) or silly question, is the one you neglected to ask! (one of my jr high teachers said this, many many many moons ago and it's about the only thing that stuck!)

This is very true, I always thought that but sometimes ya never know what other ppl are thinking! Thanx again for your help!

mousecrazy. I live north of denton as well in Krum. Wanting to be banded in January. Set to go to 1st seminar next week at Denton Presby. What made you choose Dr. Marsden over maybe Dr. Mosier in Denton? Do you mind me asking?

Hi everyone. I can feel my port when I lay on my back. sometimes I can't sleep on my left side but I am doing well.

I'm at Bonham, northeast of Dallas. Seems like Texas is the lapband capital of the US....maybe because they've been doing it successfully in Mexico for years before it was approved in US and many of our TX docs have Mexico roots or connections. Both of mine do, and they are extremely skilled....both pioneers in lapbands.

I'm amazed at every pound I lose....it's been wonderful. I've had no problems at all until lately I've started having some GERD but I think it's because, after 7 months, I'm getting a little too adventuresome in my eating. I'm still very compliant but am trying things I hadn't before. Zantac and a good kick in the pants from my DH helps that a lot, tho.

Hey GayleTX,

I used to live in Bonham!!!!!!!!!!! My daughter lives in Sherman now and I'm going home with her this week to take care of our new Boxer puppies. I just wanted to say hi and ask you why you chose Dr. Benavides. I have been researching docs in the Dallas area and have found Dr Hamn and Dr Cribbins. I haven't been to any seminars yet, so I am just looking for the best doc I can find. I also have Medicare and read on here that they would only pay if the band was placed in a Center of Excellence. Is that true or do they depend on the reputation of the doc? I'm so glad someone is close by to where I'm gonna be for the next few weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wootsie!! Former Bonham girl!! We go to Sherman regularly....hope your daughter likes it there....its' sure growing.

I went to a Cribbins seminar and felt good about it, and I've heard good things about him. But after I went to a seminar at Maese's, I felt like I was going to be taken care of by everyone there. He is a cardiologist and did all my pre-op work and assured me I was not too old or too ill to have the lapband. Most of his staff are wls patients. They did all the insurance app process and submitted it. When I was approved, Maese "assigned" me to Dr. B. because of my medical history and risk factors. He does referrals to a number of surgeons, however, at many different sites.

I now go to Dr. Maese for my fills and my aftercare. He is very skilled at the fills, and I feel better going to someone with a cardiology specialization as well as weight loss surgery expertise.

Best wishes in your journey....keep in touch!!