Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Many Ladies Here 250-300 Lost Over 120 Lbs?

I have a large goal, and I don't hear many female VSG'ers in the weight bracket of near 300 getting down to 120-130lbs in a short amount of time if at all.

But congrats to everyo.ne else where ever they are in their journey.

It's true the those of use in the 300 lb mark when we start may not get down to the 130 lb mark in a short amount of time, but MANY of us do get down there (I'm planning on it!) with lots of hard work, dedication, attention to our food and exercise.

I'm actually not wanting to lose it all TOO fast, as hopefully that will help prevent massive skins issues. I am certain I will need cosmetics in the end (being 42 years old and over 300 lbs for the last 15 years, and obese since I was about 10 years old). A slower loss many help some areas "bounce back" and reduce the number of surgeries I need post-op and at goal.

Have faith that you can do this! I know many doctors talk about the statistics (60-70% of excess weight lost in the first 12 months for the average compliant patient). But there's no reason you can't be a part of the top end of the bell curve and loss ALL of your excess weight. It doesn't have to be in the first 12 months either (though it gets harder to lose as you get closer to goal).

Don't let the statistics about EWL (excess weight loss) dissuade you from this surgery, if that's all that holding you back.

I was 258 and now I'm 120. 5 ft 7. Sleeved March '11.

How long did it take you to get to goal? Do you find maintenance manageable or are you still doing Protein shakes all the time? Thanks!!

I was 269 on day o surgery on August 30 and now am down to 174. This was the best thing I have ever done!

How long did it take you to get to goal? Do you find maintenance manageable or are you still doing Protein shakes all the time? Thanks!!

Honestly, I never set a number goal. I just said I'd know when I got there. At the end of April 2012 I was at around 138, and I was happy with that. My PCP switched a med. I'm on and I started losing more weight. Now I'm bouncing around 120-125. Now for the part I kind of hate to say on this board... Right after my WLS surgery I found out I had a benign tumor in my spinal cord that caused a lot of nerve damage and a congenital brain disorder. I've had 4 surgeries after my WLS. Honestly, my diet/exercise became a secondary issue ( thats the part I hate to say here.) I've spent a lot of time in hospitals hooked up to IVs and no food. That helped with the weight loss. Lol. When I'm on top of my nutrition game, I don't really drink a bunch of shakes. I do eat a lot of Protein Bars. I'm single with no children so I don't have to cook for anyone. Plus, the bars are really easy at work. I also use those Special K Protein powders in my Water to boost my protein. I try really hard to eat right and move as much as possible on good days, but honestly some days I don't move much and eat like crap. I try not have many of those days, tho. And when I do, I don't feel bad about it. Had I not had the WLS, I would prob. be paralyzed right now b/c my weight would have been a factor in my other surgeries. I will say that I've lost 3/4s of my hair. 5 surgeries and not always getting in my protein will take its toll! But, I had A LOT of hair. I had brain/cranial surgery last month and the back, bottom portion of what hair I have left had to be shaved. I call it my reverse mullet. Lol. But, I'm alive, I can walk and I'm thin, so I'll take it! So, yeah, I think the combo of being sick and surgery sped up my process of losing. But, at this point, with all I have going on, maintaining is not that hard. I really want to build some muscle/strenth up b/c I'm so weak, but I'm constantly stuck in a post-op restriction phase it seems. :-/. Good grief I ramble. Sorry!

I am 5' 11" tall my start weight was 308 and am now 276. My surgery was May 20th. Long way to goal but can't wait to get there :).

For us taller women where did you carry your weight and how bad is the lose skin. I carry my weight everywhere, when I gain I get a bit on my butt, a bit in my tummy, and abit in my face.

I'm still in the beginning stages of this journey but would love to know what all you success stories have done when your bodies stall??

Im 5'7

Starting weight 339

Current weight 249

Surgery date 5-18-12

Down 90 pounds total (50 Pre-op)

My goal weight is 145

I have been struggling in the last month to get scale to move. :-(

post-31248-13813659238635_thumb.jpg