Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Long Islanders?

Hi Everyone. Just checking in to see how you are all doing. I'm feeling good. I'm one of the Notorious Novembers - had my surgery on 11/10/08. I just had another fill this past Tues. I hope that does it for awhile. I do finally feel more restriction now. It's funny how different everyone is regarding the amount of fills needed. Doesn't matter as long as it works - right?!

I've lost 35 lbs so far and though I want it to go faster, I am not worried because I know it will happen. I feel such a difference in everything I do - especially wearing my jeans. They are all too big on me BUT I am waiting to buy new ones til after the summer. In the meantime I'll just try shrinking them in the wash. What a problem to have..lol! I certainly don't mind at all.

To all those just recovering from surgery..after the liquid post-op phase, the hardest part is over - from my point of view. Although everyone is different, I find I can eat any type of food without having difficulty but the amount is so very much less. Then, as you see the weight coming off, it increases your motivation to eat less. That, combined with the fills, prevents you from eating too much also.

I am excited the weather is getting nicer and willing to do exercise with anyone willing to join me...wherever you live. I live in Oceanside, but I never mind driving further east on Long Island. I also would love to get together anytime you guys are planning something. I could use the support and certainly welcome the friendship. We have all gone thru (or are about to go thru) a major change in our lives and I would love to both receive and give support to my fellow bandsters.

All the best,

Lisa L.

Hi Everyone,

I have not been on here in a while....but welcome to all the new posters! Good luck to everyone.

I was banded 9/2/08 and currently have lost 83 pounds. I was away over the spring break for 2 weeks with my family and I had gained 4 pounds back, which made me discouraged. However, I was able to take those 4 pounds right back off (something in the past I could have never done!) So, although I did not lose any more weight in April, I am still encouraged. My next appointment is May 11 so maybe the dr. will recommend a fill...we will see.

It was great getting together with Chris a few weeks back. If others would care to join us next time that would be great! We can all encourage each other.

Sue

Hi guys. Just got banded by Dr. G last week. So far I'm doing good. Still very sore around my port site. I have to admit that I gave in to temptation today and ate something non-liquid even though I'm only a week out. I had an egg but I made it really runny and took about 40 minutes to get it down. I didn't have any problems tolerating it but it wasn't nearly good as I expected. My heads back in the game now though and it's back to full liquids for 1 more week.

Lauren,

Congrats and glad to hear that you are doing well. It is hard the first few weeks, but you are almost done. Best of luck!

Heather

Hi guys,

I have not been on in forever. Banded March 2008....I am currently un-filled and not sure if I can ever be filled again. GI guy is recommending a band removal due to mild gastroparesis....stomach does not have good motility. Anyway....will meet with the surgeon later this month to discuss the many, many questions I have. (I think the GI guy is being a bit agressive in his diagnosis)

Does anyone know of a good behavior modification therapist on Long Island....preferably in SuffolK County? I live in Sayville and could use some help since I can eat way too much right now and do not want to gain back the weight I have lost in the past year.

Good luck to all!

Christine

Hi Christine,

You did awesome this year and I know that you are so scared to gain the weight back...(we all are.) Even if you never lost another pound, think about all the weight you did lose !!!!! I do not know of a behavior modification expert, but if you call Stony Brook Hospital dept of Psychology, I bet they would be able to help you. They have done great things for my family in the past.

Good luck, keep in touch and let us know what the GI doc says when you go back. We can still meet up with you at our favorite Starbucks! And, try to get out and walk, I am telling you, it does wonders for me.

Take care,

Sue

Hey! I was wondering if any of you out there who were banded by Dr. Geiss know how much saline he preps the band with during surgery. I'm 3 weeks out now and still feel really tight and I was curious to know how much saline is in my band right now.

Hi Lauren,

I was told that I have 2.5 in mine from surgery and have not needed a fill yet. I was banded by Dr. G Feb. 3rd. I have plenty of restriction and loss has been good so I have not been in for a fill yet.

You may still be swollen from surgery. Call the office they may be able to tell you how much is in your's.

Heather

Edited by heather1434

Thanks for the info. The way the nurse described it, I thought he was only going to put in, like, 0.5 ccs. If he put as much in mine as he did in yours it's not surprising that I still have a lot of restriction. I haven't been too worried because I haven't PBed or anything yet and I haven't really felt "stuck" just that pressure feeling in my chest when I eat. But it is a little annoying and makes me not want to eat. I'm just afraid I'm not getting in enough calories and my body is going to go into starvation mode. I'm back to the gym and exercising a lot to try and keep my metabolism up and I definitely haven't stalled on the weight loss yet. I'll probably just sweat it out for a few weeks as long as I dont' start PBing or getting stuck and see what they say when I go in fo rmy first fill.

Hi Lauren,

When I went for my first fill at Dr. Geiss's office, the nurse measured that I started with 2.7cc's in my band. I was suprised because I heard that you probably start out with 1-2 cc's. Glad you have that good restriction...I had that at the beginning as well. With time, you might find you need a fill, or you might just be able to lose all you need to without any fill at all (I've heard this can happen to people). Good luck to you in your weight loss journey!

Lisa :thumbup:

Hey, thanks for the replies everyone. Apparently everyone has a slightly different amount in their band to start. I went in to the office today and saw Deidre, the PA. She explained that they fill the band to capacity to test it then remove the Fluid, leaving enough to ensure their are no bubbles the the pressue in the band is equalized. Some people only start with 0.5cc, some start with more. Anyhow, we agreed that I was too tight as even drinking Water pretty much gave me chest pains. She removed 3.2cc from my band and left 0.5, Egads I had a lot to start with. Anyhow, I feel a zillion times better now and hopefull after a couple of days of liquids and really soft foods, I'll actually be able to start solids on Mon as scheduled. My first fill was actually supposed to be 2 weeks from this coming Tues. Well, it might still wind up being my first "fill" after all. Right now I don't care if I get super hungry, and eat everything in site. I'm just glad not to be hurting anymore.

Hello everyone! I've been lurking for about 9 months now and will finally be banded tomorrow, May 27, 2009, by Dr. Geiss. I'm so happy to see everyone doing so well.

Hi Everyone,

I have not been on this site in months. I just wanted to pop in and say hi to my old friends and welcome everyone who is new. How is everyone doing with their bands.

I was banded in December. I was doing really well until march and then i stopped losing. I got a fill and it made all the difference. Let me just say Hello rules. I really have to make sure I am following them but it is hard to eat morehtan the 1000 - 1200 calories reccomended now. I have begun losing again. I am just under 40 lbs lost. ONLY 60 to go!!!

Anyway, Christine, Fran or Lisa if you happen to read this check in and let me know how you are doing. I am off all summer and could sure use a walking buddy.

Talk to you soon,

Christine