Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Long Islanders?

Figured I would introduce myself I was banded by Dr. Geiss on 2/3 and am finally feeling back to normal. I woke up today and for the first time I shot out of bed and did not have a pain in port site. Every day it gets better. I am down 24 pounds. I need to work on exercising at this point. Anyone interested in an exercise buddy?

Hey Heather, I'm happy to hear that you are feeling better, gives me hope. I still have a lot of pain at the port site and still have gas pains. Where on LI do you live? I am in Elmont. don't think I am quite ready to exersice just yet but soon for sure.

Anyone interested in an exercise buddy?

Hi Heather, welcome. Glad to hear you are on the mend.

Where do you live? What kinds of exercise are you interested in? Indoors, outdoors, weights, or just someone to be accountable to?

Im in Syosset. I know the weather is not up to getting out on a regular basis but I enjoy hiking, biking and swimming. I do a bit of weight training also.

Maria,

It's good to hear you're feeling better.

About the amount of fill in your band. Some Doc's put a little in at the time of surgery. Most don't. When you go for your post surgery visit ask if anything is in there. Also you won't get your first official fill until you need it. That means if you are losing just fine (1-2 lbs a week) you won't get filled. I know a guy who lost with just the band in place, never had a fill. For some folks just the restriction of the band in place does the trick.

thanks fran for your well wishes. I am 4 days post-op. port site is very tender and still have a lot of gas, but feeling much better today than yesterday. do you get a fill in the operating room b4 your surgery is complete? of do they do an assesment at your first appointment post-op?

I remember that first week post-op all too well! It does get better, so just hang in there! The doctor never spoke to me about any fill in the operating room...I found out at my first appointment that they did put a small amount in (didn't tell me how much)...I had restriction for about a week or so then started to get hungry...I didn't get my first fill until January 2nd (surgery was 11/20)...again, not sure how much was in there to start but I ended up with 3.7cc's in my band...that fill didn't do anything for me and I only lost about 1lb between that visit and my second fill, which was February 8th...at that time they put in another 1.5cc's so now I'm up to a total of 5.2cc's (in a 10cc band) and I definitely feel restriction now...I'm down 7lbs since February 8th...so I think I'm done with fills for a little while!

I hope each day your feeling so much better and before you know it, you'll be well on your way to losing all your weight! Best of luck to you!

Hi Everyone,

Glad to hear you are all feeling better. I am down 71 pounds now, and looking forward to seeing some of you soon again. Would you all like to try to get together again?

Sue

Hi All, Im so super excited to announce my insurance approved my surgery and Im scheduled for March 25th!!!!!!!!! I Just can't believe it but now the panic sets in that Im really doing this.ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

So tell me, I have a BIG reunion coming up in July which will be 3.5 months post op

How much weight do you think I will loose by then??

Also, did EVERYONE do a week of a liquid diet? Ive heard conflicting info.

FGinNY- congratulations on your surgery date.

Everyone's lose is different. Just do your best and follow you Drs guidelines. My Dr has everyone do a week of liquids. It is a good show of faith that you are ready to make the correct choices.

Good luck on your journey!!

HI everyone both old and new,

I have not been on in weeks and I am totally paying for it. I lost 25 lbs and then I got cocky. I thought this is so easy. But now I am struggling. I didn't think have gained anything (i don't get on the scale between drs visits) but I definitely stopped losing at the rate I was.

I have an appointment with Dr. Geiss on Wednesday. I will probably get my first fill.

Anyway, as always I would be open to getting together for some support. Sue I am still willing to drine inot Nassau. I owe you.

Lets pick a date soon.

Chris

Hi everyone, thanks for all of the well wishes and information.:crying:

I am feeling much better but still have pain at the port site.:scared2:

there is scare tissue there as well. my first post op appointment was this past monday and they want me to come back in this tuesday. hope it goes well. I have a total gym in my bedroom. finally cleaned it off yesterday.....lol :heart:

gonna see what i can do on it this weekend. for those of you who wanted an exersise buddy i am interested, i live in elmont nassau county. let me know:lol:

Ok so I had my final appointment today and Im FREAKING out. Did anyone have second thoughts???

I think if you find someone who says they didn't- they are lying.

Hello Everyone...new and old!

I haven't been on in awhile but I have been thinking of all of you and hoping that you are doing well. I have lost about 30 lbs and seem to have reached a plateau. I know I need to do more exercise. I have lots of plans for exercise as soon as it gets warmer but it's taking too long :lol:! So far, I have had 3 fills. Actually I only felt the last one...I'm now at 5.7 and I go back on April 4 so we will see what happens then. I'm thinking that a little more may do the trick for awhile...I hope!

Gr8fulmaria: I live in Nassau County also (Oceanside), and would love to have an exercise partner...so if you are game...let me know.

Anyone else is welcome also. I also would love to have some support from you guys. You all helped me thru the pre-op stages and now I could use some help with this phase. In return, I'm here for all of you, as well. I would love to get together for our own support group.

Hello to all my friends...Susancarole, Amanda, Shrinkinmom, Cappy, Slimtobe, Candle, and everyone else who is still posting!

Hope to hear from you soon!

Lisa L.

Edited by Lcubed

Hello my fellow Long Islanders:lol:

Im officially 3 days post op and feeling pretty good, the anesthesia has me feeling a bit groggy and tired but really the pain is minimal. stopped the pain killers yesterday:tongue:

I really could use some advice on what to eat, Im not getting enough Protein.

Any advice would be great

Oh and the best part is Im down 11 POUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):wink::)

Congrats fatgirlinNY! It took me a little longer to feel better. I had to stay on full liquids for 2 weeks following surgery. I tried to drink the Protein Drinks but they started to make me sick. I ate as much Soup as I could. Bottom line is that I didn't get enough Protein during that time and felt weak and nauseas. So don't do what I did...keep drinking whatever protein drinks your dr. told you to have. You will feel better in the long run. After 2 weeks I was able to eat soft foods...that was much easier. Good luck to you!