Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Massachusetts Bandsters Chat

I would think the liquid diet before hand would be on an indevidual basis, but don't know, I have also heard from 1st hand experiences that staying over night was the bandsters choice, but those were the people with the least amount of discomfort the first couple of days,,,,just what I have picked up at the support meetings.

loki - that's what I thought. I guess I'll find out tomorrow. I also heard the same about the overnight thing, but I thought I'd ask...I'm hoping to stay, just to the be on the safe side...we'll see what he says...thanks for the answers...and good luck to you...keep me posted!:confused:

Hi Bandida! I did not have to go on a liquid diet, but I did have to eat very, very light the day before. One word of caution - make sure you drink, drink, drink your Water the day before surgery. I didn't drink that much so I was dehydrated by the next day and they had a HORRIBLE time trying to find a vein for the IV.

Also, I did stay overnight and didn't have a choice. I was so out of it from the drugs, I couldn't imagine going home. Not to mention that the next morning they had me do a barium swallow to check out how things were working. I was released about 6pm the next day (after being able to get down full liquids).

Best of luck, and keep us updated on your progress.

Luckiluvr - no date yet??!! I hope you get your date soon!

Thanks Chrisp,,,,Me too,,,it seems for ever, though I screwed around and kept putting off the 2 required support meetings, mainly work was getting in the way, they are very supportive, but I know I'll need 6 weeks off after the surgery, so didn't want to keep asking for time before hand....

:wave:Chrispy-Thanks for the words of wisdom :clap2: and for the heads up on the dehydration:omg: , they have a hard time getting my veins as it is:eek: , so I WILL DEFINATELY be drinking more Water . That's the hardest for me...the water/liquids...I've never been a big water drinker and now that I'm starting to i'm in the bathroom CONSTANTLY...:confused: but I guess it goes witht the territory...

I know my insurance covers "23 hours" (unless there are complications) so I will take FULL advantage of those 23 hours...Having 3 kids at home, I think I'll need them to rest up...Thanks for the words of wisdom!!!

Loki-I did the same with the 2 support meetings...my reason was no babysitter (my husband travels ALOT)...I hope you get a date soon..are you just waiting for insurance or just a date? Which psych did you use? I had Dr. Tobin.. Keep me posted!!!! My good thoughts and prayers are with you!!!!

:) Hello MA Bandsters!! Just wanted to say hello...It's soo :whoo:good to see there are bandsters from massachusettes...I've posted with many but none from MA. I'm glad to see people here from Dr. Haag/ Dr. Fiallo's office. I will have my final appointment with Dr. Fiallo before surgery on Tuesday 1/16, my pre-op testing is on 1/23 and my surgery is on 1/26.:clap2: ..I'm on anitibiotics for a sinus infection:sick and I'm hoping this won't interfere....I guess we'll see what he says on tuesday.:confused: ..:help:Can anyone tell me if Dr. Fiallo puts you on a liquid diet weeks before surgery or not? Has anyone stayed overnight and what was there experience? I'd LLOOVVEEE the input!!!

Welcome Bandida,

Congrats and best wishes on your upcoming band date! I was banded 12/18 by Dr. Schneider at Beth Israel. I had no liquid diet before the surgery but was told to try to lose 10 pounds (I was motivated and fearful of the whole fatty liver issue and I lost 18lbs). I did have to eat lightly the day before surgery. Like Chrispy, I too stayed overnight and I am glad this was not a day procedure. I felt very well taken care of. For me, the worst thing was the nausea from the anesthesia but I think that is an individual thing and does not happen to everyone. Otherwise, the whole procedure was not bad at all. Not a tenth as bad as I was afraid it would be!

Best of luck and I hope that sinus infection clears up soon.

Welcome Bandida,

Congrats and best wishes on your upcoming band date! I was banded 12/18 by Dr. Schneider at Beth Israel. I had no liquid diet before the surgery but was told to try to lose 10 pounds (I was motivated and fearful of the whole fatty liver issue and I lost 18lbs). I did have to eat lightly the day before surgery. Like Chrispy, I too stayed overnight and I am glad this was not a day procedure. I felt very well taken care of. For me, the worst thing was the nausea from the anesthesia but I think that is an individual thing and does not happen to everyone. Otherwise, the whole procedure was not bad at all. Not a tenth as bad as I was afraid it would be!

Best of luck and I hope that sinus infection clears up soon.

Hi Kaydotrn- THANK YOU!!!! :confused: I hadn't heard about a liquid diet until I started to read the posts here..I guess my MD will tell me tomorrow! Yeah, I think the best thing to do is stay overnight. My thoughts are if they allow it and I don't have to pay for it I might as well take advantage of it. Better to be safe than sorry..I've only had general anesthesia once and THANK GOD there was no reaction...It's good to hear it wasn't that bad...Thanks, I hope it clears up soon too...I'm feeling much better now with the meds the MD gave me...Thanks for the support!!! How are you feeling? How is your progress going? How has your experience been? I'd love to hear your thoughts...

Katydotrn-

What was the name of the bar you and John told me about the other day? I was trying to remember, I think it began with a K, you both said it was a fun place.

Thanks,

:wave:Hello!! Just wanted to:update: everyone. I went to my last pre-op appointment with my MD and it went AWESOME! :biggrin1: I've :lost3lbs:more !!!:clap2: My blood work was normal except my liver...so, a 2 shakes a day and sensible meal diet until surgery...:cry I guess no "last meal"...no worries, though...I'd rather have a successful placement!!!!:) Now, can anyone tell me which of these pre-made shakes are best..the Atkins ones aren't very taste...I brought some powder one that I am going to try...any sugestions? Thanks to everyone for their support! :cheer2:You guys are :cheer2:AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!:peace:

I highly recommend the Low Carb Slim Fast...it has more Protein in it than the High Protein ones GO FIGURE! Just goes to show you need to read the labels. I really like the chocolate one the best but, the vanilla and strawberry are ok too. At least with the vanilla you can add flavorings to it as well. As far as the powdered I use AES whey in Chocolate. I add one scoop, 8 oz skim or lowfat milk, two ice cubes, a teaspoon of no sugar banana pudding and about a teaspoon of lowcarb Peanut Butter in a blender and blend it. Yummy!

Katydotrn-

What was the name of the bar you and John told me about the other day? I was trying to remember, I think it began with a K, you both said it was a fun place.

Thanks,

I am wracking my sleepy brain and cannot remember...I know we mentioned in the faneuil hall area, the Purple Shamrock. Oh..in Allston area the Kels. That is a fun place. Honestly Carol, my bar days haven't been around in years so I don't know what is best for you and DH. My DH and I will sometimes do a comedy show in town and then a quick bite or drink (in my case) at a nearby pub. Last time I went to the Kels though I was pretty tipsy and danced my heiny off. Good time...

Good luck.

I highly recommend the Low Carb Slim Fast...it has more Protein in it than the High Protein ones GO FIGURE! Just goes to show you need to read the labels. I really like the chocolate one the best but, the Vanilla and strawberry are ok too. At least with the vanilla you can add flavorings to it as well. As far as the powdered I use AES Whey in Chocolate. I add one scoop, 8 oz skim or lowfat milk, two ice cubes, a teaspoon of no sugar banana pudding and about a teaspoon of lowcarb Peanut Butter in a blender and blend it. Yummy!

Thanks for the info...I'm TRYING SO hard to really like these shakes...:phanvan Hava a Blessed DAY!!!!:rolleyes:

Kay-

Thanks for the info, I think it was the Kel's you mentioned. I might look into that one when I get up there. I could use a good time to dance my heiny off. :scared:

Loki-I did the same with the 2 support meetings...my reason was no babysitter (my husband travels ALOT)...I hope you get a date soon..are you just waiting for insurance or just a date? Which psych did you use? I had Dr. Tobin.. Keep me posted!!!! My good thoughts and prayers are with you!!!!

I had Dr. Peter Titleman from Northampton,,He was pretty good. I have never seen a Phyc. and just kinda felt like "I DON"T NEED HIM,,,MY BRAIN IS FINE",,,but I know that I need this tool,,,and have to jump through all these hoops to get to it. Insurance has accepted me, I'm just awaiting a date to do this,,,,,,,,

I had Dr. Peter Titleman from Northampton,,He was pretty good. I have never seen a Phyc. and just kinda felt like "I DON"T NEED HIM,,,MY BRAIN IS FINE",,,but I know that I need this tool,,,and have to jump through all these hoops to get to it. Insurance has accepted me, I'm just awaiting a date to do this,,,,,,,,

:wave: loki - i had Dr. Tobin..A lot of people have had issues with him, but I had no problems...I guess they just want to make sure "we can handle the change"...He asked me a bunch of questions about my eating habits, excercise, etc.. at the same time he gave me some great tools to use during and after surgery...Personally, I think he went through the process of some type of Bariatric surgery...Just my opinion though.... He was different but knowledgable...Yeah....It is kinda hard to have to do all these different things to get the band, but I can say this, and it's my personal opinion, I have LEARNED a lot from everyone I've met through this whole thing. I think that yeah it's a long and tideous process sometimes, but in the end all of the knowledge you pick up is put to good use.:scared: :P I do hope you get a date soon...They are usually very quick at setting things up..Keep your spirits high!!! Keep me posted!!

Will do Bandida ,,,, good luck with everything ,,, maybe I'll see you around at one of those meetings,, do you go to the one in Springfield?? I never got the new sched. for that one or the one in Greenfield...